Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newest Barnwood Bloom Project

Posted by jeannespines 4 Iowa (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 19, 10 at 18:11

Here's my newest Barnwood Bloom I just finished up:

Barnwood Bloom Candleholder Flowers 8.10

Old piece of barnwood that DH cut for me & I sanded it pretty clean...I found the cast iron flowers at a GS for 50 cts ea...thought they were pretty interesting looking! Turned them over & they were a Hallmark candleholder! This pic above is kind of a "side" view so you can see the depth of the candle holders.

Here's a "straight-on" view...the stems are recycled from a patio umbrella spokes (which I pounded on with staples) ...& the gold butterfly is a GS find ...they make good leaves! LOL!

Barnwood Bloom Candle Holder 8.10

Thanks for looking! Jeanne S.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newest Barnwood Bloom Project

Way cool Jeanne. Love it!!!

o

I love all of your barnwood creations! This is a real beauty!

o

Very creative and pretty! Amazing what misc. junk parts can be made into.

o

very neat!!!

o

Thanks, GJers! I forgot to mention that I add a wire on the back with a couple screws ...so that the Barnwood Bloom can be hung on a fence or bldg., if desired. A very fun project to do...and the "hunt" for GJ is always fun, too! Jeanne S.

o

Never would know they were Hallmark holders if you hadn't said so. Make great flowers & love those butterfly leaves!! I have a cedar board that is rough on 1 side so will look for something to use for rest of it. I would want to put it on my patio.Jan

o

Another wonderful project! I love the weirdness of the flowers. Very different and rustic. A great idea to use the brass butterfly. I have been collecting them as I see them at TSs. I don't have barnwood but maybe I'll look for some rough cedar board like Jan and try something like this. The garage at our new house had weird sections cut out and then filled back in or windows closed up with siding. Of course all the seams show. Something like this would do a nice job of covering up the unsightly seams.

o

Now that is a beautiful piece of art. Well done.

o

Love this new barnwood bloom.
I have one candle holder similar to these.
I remember when I got it and bought the slim tapers.
Back in the late 50's--we had no air conditioning and
all the tapers started melting and leaning-LOL

o

Jeanne...I absolutely LOVE your barnwood blooms and this one is just beautiful! What great flowers the candleholders make....just too cool! You have such a talent my friend! TFS!

o

• Posted by cait1 VIC Aust (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 20, 10 at 9:33

You are soooo creative!! I LOVE it!

o

obviously I am going to have to broaden my junking! we don't have anything like that at our junk stores--OR I don't have the eye that you have Jeanne, I love it, you are so creative and I would scoop it up in a minute! TFS Bev

o

Thanks again, GJers...

sunnyca...a rough cedar board would work wonderfully! Go for it & please share a pic! I love GS'ing & TS'ing for GJ for birdhouses & barnwood blooms.

And, like you, Luna...any "brass butterflies" I see at GS's I am certainly buying them (cheap, of course)! They do make wonderful leaves...if you didn't see this pic below, that's the first brass BB that I used just awhile back on a Barnwood Bloom. It's fun to do! Thanks all for your kind comments! Jeanne S.

Barnwood Bloom Butterfly Full View 7.10

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here