Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannespines

Window Garden Box

jeannespines
15 years ago

My friend has beautiful gardens! She has a white garden and I wanted to do this project for her b'day. My DH did most of it...I helped a bit. The window garden box is made of 2 recycled windows from an old farm bldg., old barn wood, tongue-in-grove recycled boards,old hinges and 2 spindles I bought at a GS and cut in half for the legs.

This pic shows the project completed at my place and ready to deliver:

{{gwi:182830}}

This pic shows the completed project painted by my friend and put in her new "white garden" with fan flowers in front of it & hydrangeas in the box. She made it look wonderful!

{{gwi:162892}}

Thanks for the inspiration, Kudzukween...this is like the one I saw in one your pics by a new bdhse (see link below) Jeanne S.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:137556}}

Comments (25)

• Bright199
    15 years ago

It's wonderful!!! I would love a gift like that! Now you need to make one for yourself..... :~)

• susiesunshine
    15 years ago

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE that is really something ! ! !
    It is just so useful... sooooooooooo Beautiful &
    Truly Thoughtful ! ! !
    Thanks for the pics from Kuz & From You &
    from your friend......
    You Ms Jeannespines R Just a Way Cooooooool
    Friend... and GRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT inspiration to
    ALL of us THANKS AGAIN ! ! !
    For sharing with us !!!!!!
    COOL ~
    God Bless !
    SusieSunshine
    (

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Great job! I love the whole vinyette!

• cindee11461
    15 years ago

Wow I love it!!! That is so awesome!!!!!

• leveta
    15 years ago

How cute is that. I havn't been able to get on the site for some reason from my PC. So i'm on DH's laptop. I love this...

• imjustsam
    15 years ago

That is beautiful. I passed up about a dozen windows last week because I thought I had enough. Guess I was wrong. I love this project.

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

wowie! Love how you did it, I know you had fun watching it come together like I did! I'd love to mosaic one like I saw on a link from RoboMargo......beautiful creations I've been drooling over ever since,very hard to find old windows since the devastation from the big storm, but I've managed to find a few I'm saving for my own version..one day.. :) Everyone who sees it just adores it, I did get a small glass prism chandelier in mine!

Here is a link that might be useful: yard conservatories

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

Just wonderful. I think they would burn my plants in the Florida sun but I now Iowas weather will be kind to anything you put in there

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Jeanne, you have one lucky friend there! It really turned out beautiful. I love how she has it situated in her garden. The cat is a great addition! You and your DH did a wonderful job!

kudzukween, that link to the yard conservatories is awesome! Makes me want to get out my nippers and get to work on some plates!

• lacensuch
    15 years ago

What a lucky person she is to have a friend like you. I love how she incorporated it into her garden. What a gorgeous garden it is too. Thanks for sharing.

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Wonderful!
    Your friend's plant skills went perfectly with this.

• Kathryn Botard
    15 years ago

Now I know what to do with some of my windows. Thanks for sharing.

• daisydal
    15 years ago

Jean, I am DROOLING!!!!!! That is BEAUTIFUL!! What a great friend you are! DH done a wonderful job, lucky you, all I ever get are the eye rolls!!LOL! It looks divine in her garden, great place for a book,(or gardening mag!) and a glass of ice tea! Love it, your "junque" is always so pretty! Glad to put a face to your posts from the swingin thread! Thanks for sharing! blessings-sherri

• moonlight74
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing this. It is truly amazing!!

• moonlight74
    15 years ago

Jeanne:

Would you mind if I shared this project on my blog. It's so amazing and I'm going to be featuring a project of the week very soon.

Thanks,

Kelli

• temeculamom
    15 years ago

This is amazingly beautiful!!

• caroleena
    15 years ago

quite gorgeous! i ALMOST went outside to start one but then remembered it like 10,000 degrees hot outdoors. c'mon, autumn!

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

Fantastic!
    ~Sandy~

• calicocat1967
    15 years ago

Love It !

• spedigrees z4VT
    15 years ago

Jeanne, that was an amazing birthday present! What a work of art that beautiful window garden box is! Your hubby did an amazing job.

And your friend's white garden is so beautiful. When I read "white garden" I thought of white flowers, which I admit I'm not crazy about. But when I saw this lovely collection of white Victorian structures with magnificent purple flowers and stone garden critters... well I was impressed and envious to say the least!

Now I ask you, wouldn't this gorgeous "white garden" complement my house perfectly!?

{{gwi:182832}}

• countrygrl
    15 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous, Jeanne! I've been wanting to make one of these for awhile, but haven't seen any windows on the curb. I like how you put the spindles on the outside, instead of underneath. Can you tell us how you did it? Do you make the box first, or do you have to hold the windows up like that and then measure how big the box should be? Are these stupid questions, or am I making it harder that it is?!? Anyway, I want one!

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the very nice comments...we enjoyed this project and it wasn't too difficult for my DH to figure out when I showed him Kudzukween's pic (ahh, my DH is so-o-o good at figurin' out my projects!) So here's the how-to:

Put 2 screws toward the middle top of the 2 windows to hold them together in a upside down "V" shape... then put "L" brackets on each end of the top.

Stand upside "V" on floor so you can measure the length & width to make the box. Then make box and add floor to the bottom of the box. Then we used 2 hinges (on each side) to attach the windows to the box (to hold the window in place).

The we laid it on it's side and attached the legs to the outside of the box ...but we put the screws on ...from the inside-out of the box. Ta-dah!

Kudzukween...I loved that mosaic site you shared!
    spedigrees...it would look right at home at your place!
    moonlight74...anything on this site is usable anywhere, I think...but thanks for asking!
    countrygrl...you can do it! Have fun!
    My friend's beautiful gardens makes it look so good!
    Thanks everyone! Jeanne S.

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Wonderful creation, and oh so pretty the way she arranged it in her garden. I love it. Luvs

• akup_a
    15 years ago

Fantastic job! And your friend added the fun kitties. You get the BFFEEE (Best Friend For Ever & Ever & Ever) award.
    Vickie

• craftylady-2006
    15 years ago

Simply stated - this is very stunning. I love it.

Sal