Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shysue

Magnolia Ball

shysue
16 years ago

I finally made a flower ball thanks to Loriey's inspiration. I didn't have any Wallies so I used wallpaper. I have sprayed about six coats of spar polyurethane on it, so if it ever rains here again (I've almost forgotten what rain looks like), I will see if it holds up. I think I am going to use this stand for it, but I can't decide which way to display it. Which way do you prefer?

{{gwi:182934}}{{gwi:182935}}

Comments (16)

• rottyinbluejeans
    16 years ago

I like it inside.Looks very pretty!!! Good Job!!!

• dinajean(SCzone7b)
    16 years ago

That is ABSOLUTELY gorgeous! Good job!!!! I want to make one!

• tasymo
    16 years ago

Lovely! It will probably be more stable is you use the stand with the wider end down. I've found stands that rest on "feet" tend to topple easily, especially if they are place on soil.

• Bright199
    16 years ago

Wow!! It's beautiful and I totally love the stand!

• TwoMonths
    16 years ago

That is beautiful. I love the stand. I like the picture on the left. With the round part down for support.

• pearlygates
    16 years ago

That turned out relly nice. I like the way it is, in the pic on the left.

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

Wow, I am really impressed with how this turned out. I think I missed the post about using Wallies, but what a great idea. I'm hunting through some wallpaper scraps I have and see what I can find.

• katladie
    16 years ago

Is it a bowling ball? I would love to have complete instructions, and what the heck is Wallies.

Sharon

• loriey
    16 years ago

Shysue it turned out gorgeous. I'm working on a new one with autumn leaves. Will post it when it is finished. You did a great job.

• cindee11461
    16 years ago

That is beautiful. At first I thought you painted it until I read the story behind it. Wow that is really nice!!!! I bet it will hold up outside.

• countrygrl
    16 years ago

That turned out just beautiful! I agree about having the wider part on the bottom. You wouldn't want it to topple over and the ball roll into the neighbor's yard! That would even look pretty inside for the winter, although you probably don't get any snow there, right?

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

Sharon, yes that is a bowling ball (BB - for short on the forum here). You can find "Wallies" at craft stores like Michael's or Joann's. They are prepasted wallpaper cutouts that you just wet and stick on to where you're going to put them, behind the stove in the kitchen, your bathroom walls, etc. etc. The come in several designs such as fish, flowers, geometic designs, cows, roosters, etc. As for the BB, if you don't have one you can use, try calling your local bowling alley and see if they are getting rid of any due to gouges and such on them which make bowling with them awkward. They usually just throw them away. I asked at the alley here and was given six for free. Can't be a free deal any day!!

• goldenpond
    16 years ago

What a great change!

• katladie
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info, I have 3 BB's and have done nothing with them yet. I put the red swirly BB in the yard as is but didn't seal it first, it has faded. I like this one and feel that it is something I actually might have time to complete.

• shysue
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone for your input and kind words. As most of you believe the ball would be more stable with the wide end of the stand on the ground, that is the way I will use it. Loriey, I can't wait to see your leaf ball. I have some wallpaper border with ivy on it and am thinking of making another one. They are so easy! Katladie, as Craftlady said, you can use the pre-pasted Wallies or you can do as I did and decoupage wallpaper to it. Either way, if you want to use it outside, you will need to put a sealer on it.

• TwoMonths
    16 years ago

The other decoupage ball is at
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/junk/msg0709374021356.html

Look at the FAQ to see a neat ball of gold foil leaves and red gems.

Here is a link that might be useful: Decoupage Ball