Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
betsy_rheaume

Copper tubing or metal rod

Betsy Rheaume
14 years ago

My mom gave me about a dozen teacups and saucers so I think I'm going to try and make some teacup birdfeeders. Has anyone made them with a threaded metal rod instead of copper tubing? I'm just wondering is there any big difference between the two? Is one better than the other?

Comments (11)

• leveta
    14 years ago

I used PVC pipe and spray pained it copper. You can buy a little piece that slides over the top and makes it easy to take the cup off and clean it...

• smickerdoodle
    14 years ago

I think you could use either one. I have some on copper pipe and used plumbing end caps to attach the teacups, but I think that as long as you have some way to attach the teacups either one would use. I also have used some wooden dowels for plate flowers.

• chelcass
    14 years ago

I have always used the pvc pipe, since it was the less expensive. I do however find the pvc has a tendency of bending over the longer the pipe. Since I have outside cats who love to lay under the feeder and wait for the birds I have to put my feeders at least 6 feet high. The metal rod would be so much stronger, but more expensive.

• yacheryl
    14 years ago

Just seen some at a nursery Sat, made with 3' threaded rods.
    Had to peek underneath to see how it was attached.
    They glued a washer to the plate and than glued 2 bolts
    to the washer and the rod screwed into both of them..............cheryl

• nonacook
    14 years ago

You can also glue the saucer to a bud vase and slip that over whatever type of pipe you chose. Easy to take off and clean.

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

Chelcass, if I were you, I'd get a length of rebar to stick in the ground and then slide your pvc pipe over it. It would give it more stability.

I would think the copper would be prettier but either would work.

• Betsy Rheaume
    Original Author
    14 years ago

When you use PVC do you cut a point on the end so it goes in the ground easier?

• luckygal
    14 years ago

IMO copper pipe is way better but too expensive now. I'm hoping to find some in a YS. I used to use copper on all the tealight holders I sold but then the price of copper went way up and I'm no longer selling them so have used rebar for both the tealight holders (same thing as the teacup birdfeeders but I put a tealight in mine) and the stick totems. For the copper pipe DH used to hammer the end so it was pointed. I think with the PVC it really would depend on how soft your soil is, more than with the other pipes. You might make a hole with something sturdier like rebar then put the PVC in especially if you have hard soil.

• Betsy Rheaume
    Original Author
    14 years ago

luckygal did you glue the rebar to the saucer? I'm going shopping tomorrow so I'm exploring all possible options. TIA

• carousel222
    14 years ago

I have used the PVC pipe, but I drive a piece of rebar into the ground and slide the PVC pipe over top of that to make it more stable. I also glue a flange to the bottom of the saucer instead of doing any drilling. The PVC pipe screws into the flange. This way I can unscrew the feeder when it needs a good cleaning.

• kikifoow
    14 years ago

Just as a note on "metal" pipes being used. Make sure it is NOT one of the old LEAD pipes. Little hard to tell between steel/iron and lead if you don;t know what to look for. But a lead pipe will poison everything around it.

Sponsored
Designing Beautiful, Sustainable Homes in Columbus