Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scavage_garden

Meet Spike

scavage_garden
16 years ago

This dragonfly is my newest garden addition. I wish I could take credit for thinkiing up this little guy, but I'm not that clever. I bought him at a recent arts and craft show and I think he's the cutest thing going! He's made out of an old railroad spike and barbed wire.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:163965}}

Comments (18)

• dinajean(SCzone7b)
    16 years ago

I just Looooooooooovvvvvvvveeeeeee him! I may try one of my own, I have a few railroad spikes hanging around, AND I also have some barbed wire! Thanks for the post. My sister went to an arts and craft fair this spring and got 2 dragonfly sculptures for 10 dollars. I asked her to take a picture and send to me so I can make one, but she is digital-camera-challenged, so she is just going to send me the dragonfly and let me copy him, and I will send her what I make. He is made of copper wire, with 1/2 marble for eyes....cant explain real good, but I will post when I make one.

• countrygrl
    16 years ago

Can't talk now, gotta go to Farm & Fleet to get me some barbed wire!! That is really cute. I know I've got some spikes somewhere, I just need the wire. Thanks for sharing that cutie!

• luna_llena_feliz
    16 years ago

Spike is adorable! He would fit right in with my metal junk birds (I'll have to get a picture of them soon ... I only think of getting pictures of them when it is dark outside).

• easystitches
    16 years ago

That is the cutest!
    Is it possible to learn simple welding like he has?
    I knew I should have taken welding in school!

• goldenpond
    16 years ago

OOOH I have a railroad spike just like that.I picked it up on a Mission trip to the Crow Reservation.And I have some Barbed wire.What I don't have is a recent tetanus shot, every time I ask for one they say there is a shortage!

• kudzukween
    16 years ago

Oh what a great idea!

• nonacook
    16 years ago

I have the barbed wire and the railroad spikes! I also just had a tetanus shot about 10 days ago
    when I got stuck in the hand by a 'flying' icepick. I just don't know how to weld! LOL

• lindasewandsew
    16 years ago

Hi, Welding shops will usually do small jobs and charge very little for them. I learned how to weld at a former job and hated it. It's one of the few things I'd rather pay someone else for. I've found lots of spikes right next to the railroad tracks. Seems like they just toss them when they replace them. Linda

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

Spike is super cute, makes a great addition to your gardens.

Nonacook, OMG, are you alright? What happened?

• wired
    16 years ago

When I say the subject line, I thought the old moderator was back! However, to my surprise there was your 'Spike' and the name fits perfectly for sure. What a creative use of materials. Makes me want to go to the railroad tracks and poke around, and wish I was back in Texas on the farm for some barbed wire. Oh well, maybe soon :-)

On the bright side, I do have some of those old flat head nails and copper and brass wire..even some wire clothes hangers. While my 'Spike' will be smaller, maybe he will still be cute. Might have to name 'her' Nailie?

Rambling, but thinking, and thanks for sharing 'Spike'. He's the neatest dragonfly I've seen in a long time.

• povercash
    16 years ago

Yeah! An idea for the railroad spikes I have!! I love it!

This is the best site and forum on the web!

Thanks!

Phyllis

• scavage_garden
    Original Author
    16 years ago

the guy I bought it from said that when he makes them in the winter he curses them out because the barbed wire hurts his hands. There are eight individual welds on the wire (acording to him) and they have to hit at the widest part of the spike. He claims every time after making a batch that he'll never do them again.

Then he said he goes to shows and they go over so well and people really like them and he gets all kinds of great comments about them that he forgets about all that goes into making them.

So I guess I'll be seeing them at his booth for years to come....

• nonacook
    16 years ago

Wired, I thought we had 'our' old Spike back too! LOL

CraftyLady, I was loosening ice at church, had a cup in my left hand, the pick in my right, dropped the pick, the handle hit the container, bounced and went into my right hand between the first 2 fingers. It didn't bleed much, except internally and I had a huge blood blister. Went to the emergi-center, got a tetanus shot (which hurt worse than the icepick)had an exray and went back to Bible school! It never did hurt, just felt 'tight' over my knuckles...I'm fine-thanks for asking.....

• gretch1964
    16 years ago

He is so cool. Now i will have to look for spikes and make some.

• jannoel_gw
    16 years ago

That is really cute. I also thought it was about Spike, the moderator. I wonder if soldering would be strong enough or if it has to be welded.

• Cheri_C
    16 years ago

Bumping him so more can see him. I love this!!!

• rosiew
    16 years ago

Off to check the scrap pile I've noticed near the railroad tracks nearby. Hopefully I'll find a few spikes! Have lots of barbed wire from the old pasture fencing here before these homes were built.

Thanks for sharing!

Rosie in Sugar Hill, GA

• use2bcapecodr
    16 years ago

How too cute!

Sure wish I could weld! Guess It's time I learn.

~Sandy~

Sponsored