Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sphagnum Moss & Wreath Making

Posted by cgm707 CA (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 28, 11 at 20:18

I saw some instructions for creating a succulent wreath. The instructions say to wet sphagnum moss for 15 minutes, then put it into the wreath frame, squeezing the moss, and wrapping the frame with something like fish line or some other kind of thin wire or string.

The moss is supposed to hold together, and the succulents are inserted into the moss. However, the moss doesn't hold together! It just crumbles as it dries.

Does anyone have some insight on this? Thanks in advance!

Chip

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sphagnum Moss & Wreath Making

I don't use spagnum moss when I make wreaths and wire topiaries; instead I get sheet moss from the local hobby store (or you can get it in the craft dept of most bog box stores). It doesn't fall apart like spagnum. It comes in a bag for two or three dollars.

Sandy

o
RE: Sphagnum Moss & Wreath Making

Sheet moss is definitely easier to use and that's what I use most of the time.

If it says peat on the sphagnum moss bag then it's the wrong type and won't hold together. You need just sphagnum moss without the 'peat.'

I've found using plastic grid fencing that comes in rolls helps hold sphagnum moss in hanging baskets. I also use landscape fabric to line baskets so the soil stays in better. It's more work to cut the holes, but your efforts will last a lot longer so it's worth it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plastic grid fencing

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here