Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
One Big Hummer

Posted by marlene_2008 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 15, 12 at 20:39

My DH has been at it again! His latest creation is a HUGE dragonfly. Hummer, as he is affectionately called, stands about 7 feet tall on his leaf and has a wingspan of about 5 feet. He's made completely of salvaged finds. His tail is a set of blue glass canisters and his head is a 1970's metal light. His wings are formed with old scythe blades and DH designed and welded the rest. He isn't in his permanent home, but he greets everyone as they drive up to our house.

Please excuse my very dry, very ragged gardens....this summer has really taken it's toll here in Virginia!

Hummer

Hummer 2

Hummer up close and personal

Hummer at a distance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: One Big Hummer

That is Fantabulous. I think that looks like a pretty good forever home. I giant metal bug trying to land on glass flowers. Perfect! You are a lucky woman

o

Fantastic! Wish he could fly into my garden!

o

Wonderful, love the hearts on the wings! Coloring is great! Need a lightening bug with solar body to go with him!! He's a keeper!! Jan

o

Wow! He definitely makes his presence known! DH has come up with a HUGE winner here! The old scythe blades are spectacular w/his welded additions! & the blue glass canisters...perfect! Your gardens look good for our hot, dry summer, Marlene (same here in IA)! TFS! Jeanne S.

o

I think it's really ugly. If you want to get rid of it please send it to me and I'll junk up my yard with it.
(Just kidding!!) LOL

o

Awesome!
Tell us more about the 'leaf' it is sitting on.
That's neat too!

o

The leaf is made of rebar welded in a leaf shape. DH used old countertop (the new kind that's solid through) and cut pieces to fit in the openings. Then, we painted them green...you can see the green flecks in the countertop material when you see it in person.

o

Totally wonderfully awesome! So creative :)

o

Gee whiz that bug is absolutely awesome! Would you mind if we sorta try to copy it?

o

Indigo~

Please feel free to use whatever you can in making your own dragonfly! My DH does welding so his body, etc. are all welded into place, just fyi.

o

That is just awesome, Marlene !!! Have you told your DH how the men & women here are in awe of him ??? LOL

o

awesome!

o

Stunning!!!! What an beautiful dragon fly!

o

oh oh oh that is just awesome what a lucky lady you are

o

WoW...just WoW!

o

Thanks for sharing the leaf....
I have the blue canisters, but 'sigh'
I don't weld.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here