Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentstar_gw

Stenciling a fiberglass planter...possible?

kentstar
13 years ago

I am going to try to make a water fountain next spring out of a fiberglass planter that I bought. The surface seems rather rough though for stenciling. Can a rough surface be stenciled? Has anyone ever stenciled a fiberglass pot?

I want to get some Egyptian stencils for it, but I'm not sure if they'll work on the pot. If I do this, what kind of paint should I use? The pot will be outdoors just for the summer months and taken in for the winter.

Comments (23)

• timbuck2
    13 years ago

Sounds like a great project and the best of luck with it.I would think that if you secured the stencil well and then applied pressure to the edges of the stencil and dabbed with a stiff bristled brush it should be less likely to run. Maybe practicing on the bottom would help get a feel for how much paint to use. As far as the type of paint, I'm sure someone here can suggest the right type. Just my unprofessional thoughts.

• tasymo
    13 years ago

Decoart makes an acrylic paint especially for outdoor projects. I don't know how well it would work on fiberglass, though I think a rough surface would tend to hold the paint better than a smooth one. I would definitely test it out on the back side or bottom of the planter first, to make sure it works. Good Luck, and don't forget to post a pic of the finished project!

Here is a link that might be useful: patio paint link

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    13 years ago

If you have to sand, drill, or saw fiber glass, make sure you wear gloves and breathing mask.

You will be sorry if you didn't.

dcarch

• kentstar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's a pic of the planter. I went to Autozone and asked the people there what to use. They suggested Rustoleum spray paint and sealer. But, they didn't know about the stencil paint, except that they recommended I go to a hobby/craft store. So, off to Hobby Lobby I went, and I found the Patio Paint! However, I'm not convinced it will work on fiberglass, since fiberglass is supposedly non-porous, and the paint is more for porous substances. It is an exterior craft paint for stone, metal, terra cotta, etc. I thought about marine paint, but it's way too expensive. I also got suggestions of air brushing paint. So, we'll see...

I will post pics when I finish it :)

I ordered some Egyptian stencil designs from stencil kingdom in the UK. A cobra border for top under the rim, cartouches for around the pot mid section, and a lotus border for around the bottom above the bottom rims. Hope it'll look nice, yikes! I also am spray painting the pot a sandstone finish using Rustoleum's white primer (after I sanded well), and their textured sandstone color spray.

{{gwi:184608}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Egyptian stencils

• tasymo
    13 years ago

Well, you will be stenciling over the spray painted surface, right? So if your spray paint is enamel, use enamel paint to stencil, or acrylic on acrylic. I love the shape of your pot, and can't wait to see the finished product!

• kentstar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just have to ask, why acrylic on acrylic? Or enamel on enamel? My spray is Rustoleum's Textured spray, not sure if enamel, or what. The paint I bought for the stencils is an outdoor acrylic paint specifically made for exterior applications.

Here is a link that might be useful: Patio paint

• tasymo
    13 years ago

My understanding is that acrylic paint won't bond with oil based enamel paint. But I think they make acrylic based enamel paint now. They keep coming out with new paints. You can probably google your type of paint and find out.

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

It sounds like it will look awesome once it is done! I can't wait to see your finished project because the planter makes a wonderful blank slate for your ideas.

• kentstar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I googled the spray paint and it's oil based. I'll have to look for an oil based paint for the stencils then?

Thankyou!

Cathy

• kentstar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, I found that Hobby Lobby sells a stencil paint that is oil based. I think that if I use that and make sure then to seal the final product well then it should work. It'll then by oil on oil. I'll go back to HL today to exchange the paints. Good point! Thankyou so much! I should know better, oil and water don't mix afterall! lol

• Rusty
    13 years ago

You CAN use water based (acrylic) paints on top of enamel (oil based) paint.
    Acrylic based paints "sit",or bond in a film, on top of what ever they are painted on.

You can NOT use oil based paints on top of acrylic.
    Oil based paints need to 'soak' into the surface they are applied to.

This is a rule of thumb to remember for any painting project.

Over the years I have made many MANY plywood cutouts for holiday yard decorations.
    I always sealed the sanded plywood with an oil based primer.
    Then painted the design with acrylic craft paints.
    Then sealed with an acrylic sealer.
    Works every time.
    Many of those cutouts are still as bright as they were when first made.

Rusty

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Looks like an awesome pot for a fountain! I've always painted as Rusty does, "acrylic over enamel ...but not vice versa." Just love that textured sandstone paint! Have fun & it will look great! Jeanne S.

• kacram
    13 years ago

I think your paint will stick fine to the sandstone
    paint. It's not shiny, right? then just put a good matt sealer on it.

• garden2garden
    13 years ago

I like to use a sealer between the last coat of paint and the stenciling. That way if I mess up I can easily wipe it off and do over. You can't tell it's there. If you stencil right on top of the paint sometimes it can soak up the color where you made the mistake before you can get it off. And then when the stencil is dry, seal over that.

Also if you don't do a lot of stenciling, or like these look fairly complicated,
    practice on some scrap first.
    Good luck. Great stencils, your Egyptian pot is going to be beautiful. Donna

• kacram
    13 years ago

let's see what it looks like !

• kentstar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, thankyou! I will definitely post a pic when it's stenciled and when it's finally set up in spring as a fountain. :)
    Garden2garden, thankyou for the tip! I would have never thought of the color bleeding into the painted surface. Hmmm... Now I'm glad I already have 3 cans of sealer! Might have to get a couple more cans.
    You don't think the stencil paint (actually called Stencil Cream) will "slide" off the sealed surface? I just want to be sure, because I've never done this before lol.

• garden2garden
    13 years ago

No it won't slide off, you're putting a pretty thin layer of paint on with your stencil brush.

If you're not sure what's going to happen, read up on stenciling on the net and fool around with it (on something else) until you get comfortable with doing it. Since you're stenciling on a curved surface, practice that first too. Maybe you have an old vase or something. That can get tricky (for me anyway) even trying to get the stencil to curve to the contours of your pot. You might have to work in small sections that stay flat.

And if it all gets to be too much of a pita, you can trace the outline of your stencils and fill it in like regular painting.

Excellent advice above about oils and acrylics.
    Good luck and have fun. Donna

• kentstar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just wanted to share how it's coming along... :)
    I've got it painted and am working on the stencils now. Next, will be the cobra's all along the top in gold and black and the cartouches all around the mid section (not sure about the color on those though yet). So, here's the lotus flowers for now.

{{gwi:184609}}

• kentstar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's a close up...

{{gwi:184611}}

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Wow! Your hard work is paying off! It's looking great! Looking forward to the next step...TFS your pics! You may have to start a new thread showing these 2 pics ...so everyone will catch it! Jeanne S.

• kentstar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah, you're right. Thanks! It's a long hard process to get done, but it'll be worth it in the end! :)

• tasymo
    13 years ago

Wow! That looks like it's working wonderfully!! Can't wait to see the finished product!!!

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

That's beautiful so far! I love the egyptian motifs.
    I can't wait to see it completed.

BTW I think any paint can be used for stenciling. A friend of mine just uses left over paint that she has on hand. So house paint should work outside.

On the other hand, I'm sure there is a reason why there is special paint - ease of use,staying within the stencil or what ever.

Kathy

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm