The World's 18 Strangest Gardens

sprout_wi
13 years ago

Interesting

Here is a link that might be useful: World's 18 Strangest Gardens

Comments (9)

• mmebrady
    13 years ago

They saved the best for last -- I LOVE THAT HANGING BASKET!!!

• garden2garden
    13 years ago

Hey Sprout, thanks for posting that. I was just looking around for something interesting to read. That ought to keep me busy for a while. I'd like to find out more about some of those gardens, see if there are any more pictures. Excellent link. Thanks. (I didn't even know there was a popular mechanics.com will have to check that out too. I used to like to read my dads Popular Mechanics magazines ages ago when I was young, I didn't know they were still around)

• sprout_wi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

G2G- Try doing a search for the individual garden, by name. I just happened to run across one of the gardens accidently and there were several wonderful, additional photos.
    -Sprout

• garden2garden
    13 years ago

Thanks Sprout. Yep, before I got too sleepy last night I looked up The Lost Gardens of Heligan, the one with the mud maid in England. Luna I think had posted a pic of the mud guy head a long time ago but I never could track down where he was located. Lots more pics of that one on google and they have a website, too.

If I had the energy, and the extra dirt, I'd like to try doing one of them, got me looking at my yard in a whole different way. I've seen some really pretty looking soft grasses and I have some crocosmia that would make some great hair, lol)

I think it's just wonderful what people are doing in cities with the green roofs.

Love the 'Garden of Cosmic Speculation"!
    Donna

• sprout_wi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Donna- I remember seeing sculptures from the Lost Gardens of Heligan, too and thinking that would be a great project.

The site I stumbled upon was the Garden of Cosmic Speculation and it is truly stunning. I thought the poison garden was interesting, as well.

I think I will take some virtual tours tonight.
    -Linda

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Very cool! I love that hanging basket at the end too. All very interesting gardens. TFS, sprout!

I posted a picture of the Mud Maid at the Lost Gardens of Heligan in Cornwall, UK. Here's a picture of her.

{{gwi:184621}}

I think it would be cool to do something like this on a smaller scale. Maybe do a life-size version of just a head.

• garden2garden
    13 years ago

Smaller scale for sure, Luna! lol I've just been tightening up my flower garden part of the yard, I was setting myself up with way too much work, just can't keep up. Need a more manageable dream. And I was thinking (daydreaming about rich people who have a replica of their complete garden in miniature) how cute the little miniature gardens are, and how they would be so easy to take care of, why not just do away with the real garden and have like a whole garden in the space of maybe a tabletop.

I really love your idea of just a lifesize head!

Sprout, I myself, will be going to the Garden of Cosmic Speculation later tonight, while I'm making grape juice and putting up pears :) Donna

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

I love the gardens and the mud maid and everything. I'm going to have to come back and individually search for each as well.
    Gotta go to work soon tho. But I may need a break this morning, lol.
    Kathy

• wakechick
    13 years ago

Thanks for sharing! That was pretty cool!