Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardencraze

My new idea for plate flowers awesome!!!

gardencraze
14 years ago

Remember I said I was working on an idea for the plate flowers????

Well Ithink this is it

After I made my plate and it was very dry, I flatten a soup

spoon with a hammer and glued it to the back of the plate, when the spoon was dry to the plate, (very dry)

Using 1/2 inch metal electrical pipe I hammered the pipe in the ground and simply sliped the end of the spoon into the pipe.So easy and worked like a charm and is very sturdy and looks very clean. I just didn't like that elbow sticking out in the back.

Please tell me what you think good or bad I can handle it LOL Here are pix.

{{gwi:184686}}

{{gwi:184689}}

{{gwi:184692}}

{{gwi:184694}}

I need to take a pic of the back it looks really good and clean

{{gwi:184696}}

I tried a fork as you can see but I didn't like how it looked. oh and I got that slant I was looking for by bending the spoon a little.

Thanks for looking

Carmen

Comments (33)

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Spoon idea sounds good to me. Your plate flowers are really lovely. You found some cool glass to make them.
    I haven't made one, tho all the pretty ones I see on our Forum sure do tempt me.
    I'm adding the photo with both plates in it to our GJ glass album where other plate flowers are.

hugs, Karen

• gardencraze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Karen at the risk of sounding stupid What is GJ glass album??
    Thanks for the coment :o)

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Gardencraze, it's where purplemoon puts all the nice things that GJ'ers make so you can go to it. It is divided into several categories, metals, glass, concrete & stone,wood, etc.She will put the link on down at bottom of her thread. I have trouble getting on it unless I see it on a post or thread(should bookmark it) Now about the flowers, I think the spoons are perfect as you can remove & clean them without risk of getting bruises on my legs from knocking the pole against myself, I hit something else when walking or somehow hit myself. This way the length is about 15 in. or less & easy to go wash or scrub in kitchen sink & return to it's spot in garden, That is best way I've seen. Your plates are very pretty too, like the marble bling & lovely red & gold dish on the 1. Nice going!! Jan

• gardencraze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I really like it because you don't have to ever remove the pole even if you want change the flower. I need to paint my poles and add leaves to them, I just learn to do this flower thing so I'm not all there yet.hehehe
    I hope Karen post that album so I can look
    Carmen

• shrillmtb
    14 years ago

That is a great idea - so easy!! I love your plates, too. The red one - did you glue half marbles to the back, or was the plate 'bubbly' to begin with? Either way, very pretty!
    Sheryll

• gardencraze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Sheryll, I glued 1/2 marbles on that plate, I did some more with Jewelry and they came out so pretty. I also did a couple with clear plastic colored plates and I was pleasently surprised at how nice they turned out.
    Carmen

• Rusty
    14 years ago

The glass flowers are beautiful!

What kind of glue did you use,
    the GE Silicone that everyone is using for the totems, etc?

Thanks,

Rusty

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

gardencraze...looks like your spoon idea worked out very well!...sure will make easy cleaning of things! Looking forward to your "leaf" ideas...I love those that Cindee did with metal.

Here's the link to Garden Junk Inspiration Album...purplemoon works very hard at posting pics on it...of course, not every GJ pic can be posted...but anyone can make a request if she misses a great one! Just arrow down on the left side & choose the album you want to look at. Thanks, Purplemoon! Jeanne S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Junk Inspiration Album

• laurastheme
    14 years ago

Very interesting idea...but won't the pipes fill with water?

• gardencraze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Jeanne for the site I only looked a little but Oh boy what talented people!!

Laurastheme The pipe is open both sides so water would just go thru and even if it got water it wouldn't hurt anything.

Thanyou all for looking
    Carmen

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

I love your idea! I imagine you could even bend the flatware so the flower could be at an angle too. This is funny because I bought a weird aluminum serving "spork" (half fork/half spoon). It has a Jewish star at the end of the handle that is embedded in a round medallion kind of thing (I really should post a picture but it's still in the car). My intention was to make a mini glass flower glued onto it and then I'd just stick the spork into one of my planters. So you aren't the only one connecting plate flowers with flatware! Now I just need to find the right plate for it. Yours are awesome! I just hope mine turns out half as pretty. TFS!

• toomuchglass
    14 years ago

I L-O-V-E your flowers ! I probably missed a post ( or I'm just brain dead ) but I just don't get what you are trying to show . The end of something glued onto the plates stuck in a pipe ?

******** I See I missed some GREAT instructions !!!
    Would it be too much to ask to clarify the directions ???
    ( Thank you ! )

• katishooked
    14 years ago

Carmen, what a great idea using spoons and forks. In the long run it would be cheaper than the bell hangers. Much cheaper. Very Pretty flowers. I have some in the works and will post later TFS

Kat

• Barbara Kelly
    14 years ago

I love it too, what a great way to attach the flowers to the pipe. Perfect for winter you can pick the flowers and put them away..
    Off to find some cheap silverware at the TS.

Your flowers are darling, I've had a brain storm after ys last weekend. I found some 80s style earrings (think huge round things)that would make great (and cheap) centers for flowers. Unlike broaches that usually are more expensive, I will try some and post.

• gardencraze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

toomuchglass, what I did was first,
    Make my flower and let it dry for a couple of days. In the meantime I flatened a spoon,(table spoon) with a hammer. Made the bend(angle)that I wanted before I glud the spn to the flwr.
    When my flower was completely set(dry) I then attached the
    flaten spoon to the back of the plate(flower) and let it cure for anther 24 hrs.

For pipe I used 1/2 inch electrical metal conduit (1.47 for a 6 ft.pc.) I can cut any size I want. With the hammer I put the pipe in the ground Then just simply put the spoon in the hole of the pipe. Thse can be painted what ever you want.And leaves added (I'm still working on the leaf thing)

NOTE: when you buy spoons make sure that the handle will fit in the 1/2 in. hole. And try it before you glu the spoon to the flwr.

Man I writting a darn book LOL

Thanx for looking I hope I covered it all.
    you guys are awesome!!!!!!
    Carmen
    PS I tried forks but didn't like how they looked.

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Well, aren't you just so smart!!! I'd never have thought of that...great idea! I like the look too...I may just give that a try...I have some plate flowers that I haven't attached a "stem" to. And, I LOVE your red and clear plate flower....awesome!!

• texasfern
    14 years ago

Man, you miss a couple of days in here and your lost!
    What a great idea.
    Now where did I put those darn spoons?

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

LOL texasfern ..... I say DITTO to what she said :-)

I get behind so fast but try to look at pics even if I don't have time to post. Hooked on those pics

Carmen, those are so simple, pretty and smart! Beautiful pics! ~tenderlee

• catalinagrey
    14 years ago

I tried this today, but I missed the post where you said to flatten the spoon.
    It still worked great!

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

• giggles1
    14 years ago

LOVE the idea! I've been lucking into plates that already have holes - for the back one. These are the tiered plates.

catalinagrey - I'm surprised you already have Puffballs!!! My hubby LOVES them. Being in NY, we won't see them for a while yet. :(

• luckygal
    14 years ago

Carmen, thanks for sharing that fantastic idea! I still haven't put my plate flowers on stems so I will definitely try your idea. I'm guessing these are stainless steel spoons not silver - are they easy to flatten? Did you use GE Silicone II? TIA

• gardencraze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi everybody, thank you so much for the encouragement and coments.

Tia I did use GE Silicone for windows and doors. To flaten the spoon I just used a small sledge hammer and pretended it was somebody I hated, just kiding. I hammered it on wood rather then cement. Didn't take but a few hits.
    Tia sometimes I can buy silver spoons at GW for a dime but other then that I use any spoon that is >cheap<.lol>Carmen

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Absolutely beautiful, and brilliant idea with the spoons!
    kathy

• jules127
    14 years ago

This is to gardencraze, I was looking at your purple plate flower. Is that two plates?? Where are your directions or do you just do it yourself?? Thanks, Julie :)

• gardencraze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Julie, I not sure which plate you are asking about, but they all are 2 plates plus whatever jewel I decide to put
    in the center. And I really just put them together no directions. What is it that you want to know?

Hugs, Carmen

• jules127
    14 years ago

How do they stay together. Silicone?? Or do you drill?? Sorry for my ignorance. Julie

• gardencraze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

julie I use what seems everybody uses "silicone II" for windows and doors, mine have held for about a year now.

But don't forget that the spoons need to be flatened first.

Julie don't be sorry, you won't know unless you ask :o)

Hugs,Carmen

• ogremom
    13 years ago

GORGEOUS!!!!

• grandmathyme
    13 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! I especially love the one with the RED! The spoon idea is terrific. I like the copper bell thingies on the other post about plate flowers...I think it looks so nice and "clean", but spoons would certainly be less expensive...and they're recycled which I always love.

• desertrat1
    13 years ago

gardencraze,
    I have a question. What is the bell hanger for? It looks like a bracket to hold a conduit pipe. Is that the way you made the back before the spoon idea?
    Love, Jules

• trashydj
    11 years ago

love that idea thanks for sharing you could use the spoons bowl part for leaves also saw some cool spoon flowers not the plastic spoons but real spoons pretty neat

• trudsif
    11 years ago

Great idea - using the pipes as standards. Easy maintenance of the Kflowers".

• Judy85
    11 years ago

How do you get the spoon to stay in place and not wobble? I have done this before but find I needed to add a dowel to old it in place....Connie

Sponsored