Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Angel for the cemetery

Posted by bluestar_tam IL (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 11, 11 at 21:53

I finally finished my angel for placement in the cemetery!

Solar Angel

Hopefully her wings will stay on. The GE II is seeming kind of iffy. I have it lightly wired, but doubtful it's strong enough to hold them.
She has a solar light in her chest as well :o) There is a white vase inside the clear vase base. I have a piece of rebar that will go inside of it and be set in a container of concrete that goes inside of the marble vase in the headstone. That way she shouldn't fall over. Gets pretty windy in the country in Illinois!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Angel for the cemetery

Pretty!! how did you make the wings?

Nanagrandma

o

The wings are made from a ceiling light panel, glued to another polycarbonate sheet for stability. I used the GE II glue to put them together. I then drilled small holes around the periphery and ran beading wire through them for added stability. Used the GE II to glue on the blobs and to glue the wings to the body. I used more beading wire to wire the wings to the body at the waist to help support it a little more.
The droplets on the outer, lower edges of the wings are plastic & have iridescent glitter on them. They were attached via the wire I ran along the outside edge. :o)
The worst part was cutting the wings out. The polycarbonate sheeting is not easy to cut. It prefers straight lines instead of curves. I made a bunch of small cuts with a box knife to get the rounded edges. It's not perfect, but then wings aren't perfect anyway lol. By the time I was done scoring and snapping 4 million times, my index finger had actually become numb!

o

Great Angel!!!

o

She's beautiful!!!

o

Well a lot of loving work, but I know if I saw this in a cemetary it would make me smile. Our local cemetary will not allow us to decorate except for flowers.

o

It's really lovely with the droplets hanging down & the nice waist she has & the solar light must make it beautiful at night. Great job! Jan

o

Never thought of that for a cemetary vase, but your angel turned out great!

o

She is REALLY lovely! You did such a wonderful job on her!
May I put her, with your info, in our glass inspiration album?

Our cemetaries are real strict here about things. And if you put flowers or something, they can only be temporary
for special occasions then the cemetary tosses them out.
:o(

hugs, Karen

o

Thanks everyone. Yes, Karen, that will be fine.
I've actually had a terrible mishap with her :o( I had her sitting on my porch, because I wanted to see how she looks lit up at night. Well, I was away from home, came back & found her laying on the porch. Apparently the wind got to her. The chest popped off the base and the wings snapped in half, luckily so I still have 2 wings and not shreds of wings. Will rework her and see if I can use a better glue, plus add more wire. Next time I will take her straight to the cemetery so she'll have the rebar support in her!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here