Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
realrose_gw

totems on copper poles

realrose
15 years ago

Hi everyone. Wanted to show you some totems on poles. I try and make them look like "garden ladies." I was in a show this Saturday. These are pictures at the very end. I should have taken some in the beginning when I had more "junk". I sold 4 dish flowers, 1 mosaiced bowling ball and 1 totem. Was very pleased. This is only the second time I've done a show. Rose Mary

href="http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii102/02register/100_1392.jpg"; target="_blank">

{{gwi:185265}}
{{gwi:185264}}

Comments (16)

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

Man. around here you hide your copper or someone will take it and cash out!
    Love the look.

• joannpalmyra
    15 years ago

Congratulations on your sales, rose. :)
    I've caught the totem bug and am hoping to have lots made for my daughter's school fund raiser in several weeks.

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Rose Mary, your "ladies" are really cute. I especially like the red one. She might have had to come home with me had I been there!
    Congratulations on your sales!

hugs, Karen

• cindee11461
    15 years ago

Those are beautiful. Did you see the new Country Garden Magazine? It has some totems in it. I guess they are finally catching on...(-: We knew they would!!!(-: I still need to make some of those dish flowers.(-:

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Very nice! I love all of the color combinations! I may have to expand my gardens to accommodate all of my "junque"!

• akup_a
    15 years ago

Way to go realrose, you're a real-peach at the junque yard! I love "garden ladies", love to create 'em, love to shop for their dresses & bonnets. Your ladies are beautiful.
    Vickie

• realrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone. They are such fun to make. I know what you mean goldenpond. I have 2 in my front yard and so far so good, but I had several people make the comment the copper would be stolen. One suggestion I had at the first show was to put candle holders on the top, I had not thought about that. Before the second one I did add the candle holders. People kept saying "what do they do?" I just told them pretties for your garden. No fertilize, no watering, no maintanence. Some people have no imagination!

• joannpalmyra
    15 years ago

"what do they do?"
    Making me laugh! :D

• User
    15 years ago

Those would add a pretty accent to anyone's garden. I was afraid someone would steal the copper pipe I had in my garden so DH took some aluminum tubing and spray painted it copper.

• daisydal
    15 years ago

RoseMary, great job on your sale, we're proud of ya!!!!
    Your ladies are so sweet!! Great color combos, they really sparkle!!! You done an A+ job!! blessings-sherri

• laurastheme
    15 years ago

I asked this question in another thread, but I'll ask it again here. How do you keep the poles steady in the holders. Do you happen to find holders that the poles fit snugly into or what?

• texasfern
    15 years ago

I KNOW they would steal the copper from my front yard, they stole my solar lites!
    Those a beeeeutiful!

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Your totems are really pretty. Love the nice shape you have on all of them. Too bad you couldn't have a couple of pretty potted plants to sit next to them to give the buyers a better idea of how great they would look in their flower beds. Continued good luck with your sales. Luvs

• realrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again all! I offer them priced 2 ways one with pole and one without. Most of the girls can just sit without a pole or people can do whatever they want for the pole themselves. Laurastheme I learned here a long time ago how to attach them to the pole. Here's what I do others may a have better idea. I usually use some type of candle stick, simply because the opening is normally about 1/2",then use an adapter (in copper)that goes from 1/2" to 3/4" and attatch to the pole on 3/4" end. I put vaseline in the 3/4" side, makes it easier to slide pole on and off. The tricky part is the glue. You are glueing copper to glass and silicone won't work. I was told to use "plumbers goop" which does fine for maybe a year. Now I've switched to 2 different glues. One is "Welder", my husband brought it home from Lowes and he thinks it will do better than the plumbers goop (time will tell). After that drys I wrap it in that new glue, the kind that is 2 colors and you knead it for awhile until it all the same color.The glue ends up kind of rubbery, you can shape it. I shape it like a worm and wrap it around where the copper meets the glass. It drys like concrete. I hope it is be strong enough, using 2 glues, to hold. I also hope I have not totally confused you. Please ask me any other questions or someone else may have better ideas. Thanks again,Rose Mary

• laurastheme
    15 years ago

Thanks. That's a big help. What size pipe do you use? I have the 2 color glue that you're talking about. I use it sometimes to beef up the backs of plate/bowl flowers if I'm not sure the other glue I've used will hold. I also have used it on some of my heavy bird baths, gluing the top of the 'totem' to the birdbath basin. Because it's underneath it doesn't show unless the BB is turned upside down. Do you paint the glue to match the pipe or leave it as is?

• realrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The totems which can be heavy I use 3/4" copper pole. On the dish flowers that are not as heavy I use 1/2" pole. Of course on the 1/2" you just need the adapter to be 1/2". I don't paint the glue. I figure it's hidden and not seen. The 1/2" pipe is so much cheaper! Good luck!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!