Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chere_gw

My Fifty Cent Hummingbird Feeder

chere
12 years ago

{{gwi:186550}}

I will get a better hanger for it as soon as I have time.

Chere

Comments (21)

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Cool ... & you've got a 'taker' for it, too!
    Did he drink it all? I don't see any 'red' in the glass tube. Great bargain (cents)! TFS! Jeanne S.

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

That's so sweet! He/she likes it! Out here they tell us not to add red to the sugar water, not good for them. Is that netting of some kind around the bottle? Pretty bottle too! Jan

• chere
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It is red netting to attract the hummers. I can't remember what I got it off of. I also heard not to put red dye in the sugar water.

Chere

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Chere you are brilliant!
    Kathy

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

That is totally cool. I love it. Thank you for sharing.

Marylee

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

chere...whoops, didn't think of that clear water...I've heard both ways about the red ...I buy the 6 pk. box of Hummingbird Instant Nectar Concentrate ...& it has red in it but says approved red coloring is non-toxic & harmless to hummingbirds." And good idea about the red netting...looks great! Jeanne S.

• kylslil1
    12 years ago

That is so cool. I have a bright red wine bottle, do you think they d like that?

• chere
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The red wine bottle would be great.

Chere

• beatrice_outdoors
    12 years ago

Chere-what is the stopper made from?? Is it something I can get from the pet store? I have been thinking about getting a hummingbird feeder, but yours makes me now want to use a red bottle I keep in the window.

Thanks so much for sharing and inspiring!

• rosiew
    12 years ago

I need one of the feeder things to add to a pretty bottle my daughter gave me - wine bottle. Can anyone tell me where to get it?

Love the picture!!

• chere
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I used a plug for bottles you put oil in. I had to put silicone around it to make it seal tight. I let it dry over night and then put the feeder together. I then melted a hole in the cap. I got them 2 for a dollar at True Value hardware. That is where I spent the 50 cents. Try to find ones with red tops.

Chere

• diggery
    12 years ago

QUOTE: I used a plug for bottles you put oil in. I had to put silicone around it to make it seal tight. I let it dry over night and then put the feeder together. I then melted a hole in the cap. I got them 2 for a dollar at True Value hardware. That is where I spent the 50 cents. Try to find ones with red tops.

THIS IS INGENIOUS!! (and yes, I'm yelling...in excitement). Can't buy the feeding tubes in these parts and ordering online is cost prohibitive. Kinda defeats the purpose & robs one of the enjoyment of makin somethin from nuthin.

Ha, gotta couple of these in the kitchen junk drawer & silicone in my handy dandy toolbox plus a bottle I've been saving just for this purpose.

I'm off to CREATE. Giddy here...thank you, thank you, thank you Chere.

(did I say thank you?)

bless ya,
    ~digger

• iamnotapirate
    12 years ago

Great job getting a picture of that little guy enjoying your handiwork, and what a great idea using the oil plug! I think I'd make a bright red corded macrame potted plant hanger (a la 1970's) modified to fit the bottle.

• beatrice_outdoors
    12 years ago

Chere-what is the stopper made from?? Is it something I can get from the pet store? I have been thinking about getting a hummingbird feeder, but yours makes me now want to use a red bottle I keep in the window.

Thanks so much for sharing and inspiring!

• chere
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Beatrice, I used a plug for bottles you put oil in. I had to put silicone around the base of the plug to make it seal tight against the bottle so it would not leak. Make sure to get the silicone as smooth as possible when you apply it and let it dry before you put the feeder together. I let it dry over night and then put the feeder together the next day. The bottle needs to be hung at a tilt also to keep it from leaking when it gets warm. I then melted a hole in the cap. I got them 2 for a dollar at True Value hardware. That is where I spent the 50 cents. Try to find ones with red tops.
    Chere

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

Great project.....thanks for the pics and good instructions.

• beatrice_outdoors
    12 years ago

I'm not sure why my post showed up twice??? Thank you for BOTH responses!

And, I'd like to add that the wrought iron roses are beautiful, and also give me ideas about how to add cornices to my own porch. I'll be keeping my eyes open at future flea markets and yard sales. :)

• tennesseekathy
    12 years ago

There are hummingbird feeder tubes for bottles at http://Amazon.com and http://axner.com to fix any bottle.

• nancelee
    12 years ago

Thru trial and error I have found that you need to fill the bottle up to where the nozzle and nectar will meet and dry off the neck inside then insert the nozzle into the bottle. This forms a vacuum inside. Then adjust the "hanger" so the bottle doesn't drip...it needs to tip a little....instead of hanging straight down. This works every time. I make and sell the feeders so I have learned to work with them. However, when it's very windy every kind of feeder will leak a little. Hope this helps.

• zzackey
    12 years ago

I've read that they are very sensitive. I can't imagine any red dye being good for them regardless of what the maker of it wants you to believe! My HB feeder is red with big red flowers. They are very attracted to it with clear homemade sugar water.

• chere
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am now working on converting a pill bottle to a feeder. I will post it as soon as I get it so it looks cute and work properly. I did one and they are eating out of it but it isn't cute or working like I want. My drill's batteries have quit on me and I don't have a drill right now so it might be awhile.

Chere