Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Easy Bottle tree

Posted by momof6 8a La. (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 29, 10 at 23:26

Saw this in a LOUISIANA MAGAZINE...
There was a time when autumn breezes blowing mournfully through Cajun country bayous would carry with them the sound of tinkling bottles gleaming like rainbows from trees in the sunlight. T he cobalt of empty Milk of Magnesia bottles or the lime green of old 7UP bottles with squares of red were generally hung on trees near people's houses as protection.The roots of the "bottle trees" are deep in the soil of Congo culture. Legend holds that wandering spirits of ill intent can not
resist the beauty of colored glass and that any evil spirits mesmerized enough to enter glass would be unable to escape and ultimately would be destroyed by morning sunlight.Slaves who were brought to the new world continued this tradition hanging blue bottles from huts and trees as talismans against evil.The tradition spread throughout the American South, in Europe, it took the form of single spheres known as "witch balls".If you want to revive this old folk ritual and make a bottle tree to ward off those color loving gremlins, one of the simplest and most beautiful ways is to take traditional cobalt-blue bottles(blue being the color of water, something spirits cannot cross), tie two by the neck at opposite ends of a shoe lace, and dangle them over tree branches. Repeat as many times as you desire....Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Easy Bottle tree

Very cool, Mary.

I'm going to try this as soon as I go outside today. Hard as it is to believe, I don't have 2 blue bottles, but I do have 2 pretty green 7up bottles. Wonder what the spirits think of green bottles, I'm blessed with them.

TFS Donna

Heck, my internet connection is so slow today, I went out and tried it while I was waiting for the preview page to load. I love this. So simple. Love the history, you can feel it as you are wrapping your bottles with the string. Dead calm here today, so I don't know how they will be in the wind but a larger branch seems to put them at about the right distance apart to clink a little.

o

My only problem with doing that is I don't have any low hanging tree limbs to hang anything on-sigh....
After hurricane Ivan, I had one of the tree cutters put
a chain around a bottom limb (between 15-20 feet up) so I could hang a tire swing. I wrap the tire with a
green plastic tablecloth, and lights, at Christmas to make a wreath....

o

I've been saving blue bottles for YEARS! I think I'll take your suggestion and hang some out in the plumtree. But I may use wire inside of garden hose scraps. But maybe I'll wait a few days. Theres a chance that Hurricane Earl will come up here.
Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here