Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Mason Jar Bridfeeder

Posted by kirkus (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 13, 11 at 0:56

I made this birdfeeder with a chicken feeder (49 cents from Goodwill) and a blue Mason jar...25 cents at a garage sale...at that price I bought a box of the jars! :o) I attached a 10 cent enamelware pan to the top.

To attach the pan, I drilled a hole with a diamond bit into the bottom of the jar, drilled a hole in the pan, and attached an eye hook. It was a nice fit but I used GEII glue to secure the pan to the jar as well. I attached the pan to protect the seeds from the rain. Hung it with a chain I had in the garage. An inexpensive, FUN project...one of my favorites. :o)

The birds LOVE it! The photos show a little guy who visited the feeder for hours this evening. I had filled the feeder with sunflower seeds yesterday morning, and today it is half empty. Love watching our feathered friends. Had to share! Bear Hugs! Kirk

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Mason Jar Bridfeeder

Kirk, you already got an A+ from a little bird! He knows a good thing when he sees it. ;o)

That sure turned out neat and you'll get lots of company coming to it.
hugs, Karen

o

How cute !

o

Love it. And so does your feathered friend!

o

That's awesome Kirk!
Love the enamel pan on top, both pretty and practical.
Kathy

o

Thank you for the nice comments! :o) There I go typing too fast again...I wrote "BRIDFEEDER" when it should read "BIRDFEEDER" in the title... Wish Garden Web had an edit button...just for me! LOL Bear Hugs! Krik...I mean Kirk :o)

o

Funny, Kirk, but I read "bird" in spire of your typo. Funny how the mind sometimes sees what's supposed to be there. But a bride feeder would be interesting. LOL

hugs, Karen

o

To cute!!!!!

o

I read bird also:) it is adorable with the top on it...they make cute people feeders with m@m's too.geeme

o

Nice bird feeder, like the large holes so couple of birds can eat at 1 time but not likely to fight as lots of room to get seed. Imagine less gets spilled too. So considerate to protect the birds from the rain with the pan. I ended up using a tortilla warmer cover 1 year, drilled a hole in top of it. Love the little rusty spot as it gives it that well used look! Jan

o

I love it, Kirk! Great $$$ bargains & very rustic looking! (almost better than the peanuts & M&M's I fill mine with at Christmas!) LOLTFS! Jeanne S.

o

I love it too! Wish I could find some old blue mason jars! I can get the chicken feeders at the local feed stores pretty cheap.

o

• Posted by sorie6 5 colorado (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 30, 11 at 20:00

I love the idea. We have all the stuff to make it but DH won't let me use the old mason jars!! They all have the lead lids!!! I'll try to get a reg qt. jar. Thanks for the idea!! Great job.

o

Was at a craft show this week-end and a lady had these for sale. Hers had glass bowls over the feeder instead of an enamel pan. Another great idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here