Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

Ugly Birds!

kirkus
13 years ago

Hey everyone! Went to a garage sale this weekend. Saw a box that said, "UGLY BIRDS". Opened the box to find these roadrunners. $2.50 for the set!!! They had very old and aged price tags on them from the 60's or 70's from Montgomery Wards for $19.95 a piece!!! My wife Carol thought they were ugly... I LOVE THEM!!!! Plan on putting them on our deck amongst the plants! Aren't they cool? :o) (It's okay if you think they're ugly...Hee hee! I think they're so ugly, they're COOL!) Bear Hugs! Kirk

{{gwi:187225}}

Comments (24)

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

I have to agree with you, Kirk. Ugly but COOL. They will look cute in your garden I'm sure. Hey, maybe they will scare any bad bugs away! LOL.

hugs, Karen

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Ugly, but still very cool and they will great amongst the plants!

• amigirl
    13 years ago

Oh Kirk, I think they are WAY COOL. I would have bought them too. I like "whimsical" things.

Sue

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

They look like great GJ! The person who labeled them "ugly" was thinking "inside the box" or "not in my house." The difference is when you open the box and think "outside."

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

MY, oh MY, Kirk ...they are "original" lookin' characters! LOL! I like 'em because they're made of metal...I hope you have some "Prickly Pear" cactus around...they would look great there...or some "Mother's Tongue" house plant! First look made me think of Robert's creativity on this forum. TFS! Jeanne S.

• greensuzq
    13 years ago

Those are really neat. They definitely will go good with your stuff. Great buy. The more I have been going junkin the more weird stuff I see. Those will look great around plants.

• tasymo
    13 years ago

Everybody should have a couple of ugly birds hanging out on their deck! Awesome find, Kirkus!!

• bverste
    13 years ago

Kirk, I think they are great fun, just imagine moving them every day so they actually get somewhere, they look like they are fast, maybe so fast they take off and get back and look like they never move LOL, Now you just need to find Wiley C and some ACME signs to make the tableau complete. Bev

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

Put me on the way cool list. It's funny how our taste can change, a few years back I would have been the one putting the "ugly birds" in the garage sale.
    Frou

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

LOVE EM!!! Good Score! If you get tired of em, I'll send ya my address!!!

• goldenpond
    13 years ago

Have you ever seen a stork???? They hang around canals around here and look like bald decrepid old men. I always holler UGLY BIRD UGLY BIRD when I see them!
    Yours are quite nice
    tanya

• club_53
    13 years ago

They are ugly but we shall refer to them a "eclectic" lol

Why not take them off the boards and attach them to a flexible rod and make "bobblers" out of them; they would be a riot "flying" over your garden pecking at the bugs..

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Oh, I love your great idea, club53....
    Kirk! Kirk! Did you read that???? Attach them to a flexible rod & let them "run with the wind!" LOL! What a clever idea! Jeanne S.

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

I think they are awesome! Not ugly at all. They will look great amongst the greenery. I remember when those metal sculptures were all the rage. Usually they were in the form of wall hangings (plants, buildings, etc.) or wind-up musical sculptures. I have never seen anything like your birds. Like calamity_j said, if you ever get tired of them I'll give you my address. he-he

• tehuti
    13 years ago

Kirk, I must have the wrong picture, can't see any ugly birds.
    But the roadrunner are way cool.
    Robert
    Oh yeah, thanks Jeanne

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Very good likeness of roadrunners! I saw a real one once! They really run fast & 1 I was watching was by the creek & bobbing in & out & then going like lightning where it was open ground. Fun to watch. Never saw any again even tho I was often in same area. Bobblers would be great, attach to short piece of rebar! Jan

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

I LOVE the idea Jeanne had, Oh Yes!, that would be cool!!!

• AmeliaD
    13 years ago

I think that are fantastic! I always loved The Roadrunner

• aka_strawberrygoat
    13 years ago

I'd bet some vintage folk art collector would pay that original price of $19.95 now...for each of them~

it's just amazing what some people will either give away or sell for about give away prices..never ceases to amaze me.

good score for you.
    I know that I'd have them inside, in the kitchen window, myself.

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

Ilove them too!
    They look like Dr. Suess birds to me.
    Kathy

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

My husband has one of these on display in his office. I will not allow it in the house. It goes with his other ugly decor very well, and his office is the coolest place on the property.
    Renee

• shpnquen
    13 years ago

Hopefully they can keep the squirrels away! That is, if they think they're ugly & not cool - like the rest of us! LOL!!

• kacram
    13 years ago

those are funky!

Are they hollow? from the tail end, they look hollow!
    I would probably hang them up face down and use
    them as cones if they were hollow! LOL

• kirkus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great ideas! Great comments! :o) (Kat...they are hollow.) I placed them for now outside around a rustic bucket filled with bronze fall mums. The bucket sits amongst the rocks. Looks cool. Our cat Toeby is afraid of them! LOL Will try to get a photo. :o) Bear Hugs! Kirk