Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinfoilhat

Rock People

tinfoilhat
12 years ago

Anthropomorphism and personification have exceptionally similar dictionary definitions. Personification is when an inanimate object, animal, or natural phenomena is given human qualities or abilities. Anthropomorphism is when human motivation, characterization, or behavior is attributed to a God, animal, inanimate objects, or natural phenomena. Both anthropomorphism and personification give some kind of ability to the same group of things, but anthropomorphism focuses on human nature rather than human appearance. - Aliyev Yusif

I made these rock people to keep me company in the yard. They weren't too talkative at first but great listeners. They were great to have around.

{{gwi:187280}}

Then the troubles started.

The igneous rock people think they're better than the sedimentary rock people and the metamorphic rock people are very vocal about being better than everyone else. It led to problems but I was always there to keep the peace.

I was called away to play with the testing of a new kind of projectile that mankind uses to settle petty disputes. It was interesting work and I even got a souvenir to bring home.

While I was gone the problems between the Rock People escalated. The green eyed rock people pray to a different god then the silver eyed rock people and the red eyed rock people pray to a volcano god and practice ritual sacrifice by throwing unbelievers into volcanoes. After I got back I called a summit meeting and we all sat around drinking Sangria wine and singing Kumbaya till all was well in my little corner of the world.

The peace didn't last and then someone stole my souvenir.

{{gwi:187281}}

A roadside bombing occurred 30 yards SW of pond this week with four confirmed fatalities and an unknown number taken to quarry by ambulance.

I shared these pictures and story at group therapy last night and the therapist like them so much she asked me to come in tomorrow and do some finger paintings and tell my story to some other people.

Comments (18)

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

Oh, my goodness! How could you even spell all those words at 2:30 in the morning. You have quite an imagination. Didn't like to hear about the roadside bombing. That's too close to reality. Do you really work with weaponry? Peace and understanding are always in my prayers.

I started out laughing and now I'm crying. Just an emotional old woman this morning.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Just don't let them start up a Rock and Roll band!!!! They'll be up all night partying!

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

We all need 'great listeners' & you've certainly found some of the best! (inanimate & animate forms)

ZINGER message! (in more ways than the bomb!) TFS! Jeanne S.

• nmgirl
    12 years ago

LOVE IT!

I can remember when anthropomorphism and personification were collectively called "imagination".

How do your rock people relate to concrete people? Does it give them a reason to band together as the" true rock" or "pure rock" people as opposed to the artificial/manmade folks?

Rock on!

• beatrice_outdoors
    12 years ago

Dude! You ROCK!!!

As artificial folks, would the concrete people be able to clone themselves??? If so, they might decide to build an army and take over the world. Be very careful!!!

:)

Beatrice

• laurastheme
    12 years ago

The world needs more rocks. Keep the peace!!
    I'm still laughing. How do you put the rocks together. Glue?

• toomuchglass
    12 years ago

.............and once again - the sun shines brightly off of that tinfoil hat !! AWESOME ( & funny ! ) I'm glad peace finally came to Tinfoil Rock.

HHhhmmmm .... I think I Need some rock people around me . AT least they won't laugh at me when I go around talking to myself. They won't ask to borrow money and I don't have to feed them . "Rock People" -- you just might be onto something there !

• tinfoilhat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

marylee - I'm sorry that brought you to tears. I don't develop weaponry, I was operating construction equipment during these tests. A whimsical bent and a gallows sense of humor helps see me thru life's insanities.

PUT SOMETHING IN
    by Shel Silverstein
    Draw a crazy picture,
    Write a nutty poem,
    Sing a mumble-jumble song,
    Whistle through a comb.
    Do a loony-goony dance
    'Cross the kitchen floor,
    Put something silly in the world
    That ain't been there before.

Laurastheme - I drill the rocks and use rods or rebar to keep them together. Sometimes I use a little caulking to hold the rods in.

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

tinfoilhat...I love your poem. I will keep that handy. Thank you!

Marylee

• laurastheme
    12 years ago

What kind of bit do you use to drill? I've never been into drilling, but I've seen some rock plant stakes at our local hardware store that look interesting. I'm sure they're drilled.
    Laura

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

OMGosh....I needed this laugh tonight! Jack, you are just hysterical! LOVE, LOVE the rock people! You should have been a comedian my friend. All kidding aside, I really do like the rock people....they're pretty great. The one even looks like Pixar's Wally! I'm thinking that the Midwest sun has maybe eaten a small hole in your tinfoilhat though....you might want to get the heavy duty kind next go round.

• tinfoilhat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

laurastheme-
    The right electric drill is the key to the easy drilling of rock/stone, concrete, and masonry block. They are usually called hammer drills or rotary hammers. They have a selector switch to do regular rotary drilling or can be switch to hammer drill setting that will hammer as it rotates. Home Depot carries them. The drill bits have a special carbide tip made to withstand the abuse. With the right drill and drill bit rock/concrete/masonry are easy to drill.
    You can drill rock without a hammer drill but buy a good masonry drill bit and don't let it get hot. Home Depot sells Bosch drill bit for masonry that work well. Be aware that Bosch also sells drills that have their proprietary locking mechanisms, make sure you get the right one for your particular drill.
    Stay away from cheap masonry bits, they don't last and are a waste of money.

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Tin, your rocky friends are a hoot. Like you, I have a gallows sense of humor at times, have to or some things would keep me in tears. (lesson I learned fromo having two cop sons and friends).

Enjoy your little buddies and try to stay out of the heat.
    Tho I assume your tinfoil hat helps some...not sure what way, LOL.

hugs, Karen

• luna_llena_feliz
    12 years ago

I want to come with you to therapy! I bet it would be more fun than a night at the local comedy club. As therapy, I have been known to go to the beach and create rock villages on my beach blanket. My husband would sweep all the rocks together on the blanket and take them home when I was done. For the life of me, I can't remember where the rocks are! lol

Now I know if I do create some rock people, I better beware of their prejudices. My yard is messy enough without an all out war.

Thanks for the much needed laugh. My husband likes you, which kind of worries me.

• diggery
    12 years ago

Wow. Gotta agree with marylee here. You had me in stitches, then the Truth of your words settled & tears followed. I also agree with whoever said YOU ROCK.

Your creativity never ceases to amaze me. Keep up the good works!

bless ya,
    ~digger

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Love the rock people, the story and the poem. Uh, and do stay out of the sun as much as possible, like Karen said.
    Kathy

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Well, you certainly had problems! Perhaps if you had allowed the Rock People to cool off in your pool they wouldn't have gotten so overheated, of course the fish might have viewed it as an invasion then you might have an even worse problem, what to do, what to do!!Loved the poem! Jan

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

Yeha....rock people......you must never sleep as you always have such neat ideas and projects going on!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?