Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurastheme

Spoons for flower backs

laurastheme
12 years ago

How many of you are using spoons on the backs of your glass flowers? Have you had any problem? I've just started using spoons as well as forks on the small flowers and even cake servers on the large ones. I have been afraid of the silicone on metal to glass wouldn't hold. I haven't had any outside long enough for a test, but when I try to pull them apart they don't budge. I make sure there's a bead of silicone around the edges to help hold them. I'm selling some with fear and trembling. I always recommend that my customers in cold climates bring them inside during the winter.

For a long time I was using pvc elbows, but they're quite expensive here plus I like the looks of the spoons. I curl the tines of the forks which gives them an interesting look.

Comments (14)

• mommyandme2
    12 years ago

I got several stainless steel spatulas at the dollar store. They had plastic handles which where easy to destroy with a few wacks with a hammer. There was plenty of steel handle left to drop down into my copper pipes. I used a good amount of silicone II. It doesn't look as pretty as a spoon or a fork, but I really like having a large area of contact - Laura

• sprout_wi
    12 years ago

I have been using teaspoons and E-6000, which is a clear, one-part epoxy. I love it. I think by advising customers to bring their flowers in over the winter, they are fore-warned. I purposely left mine out over our brutal northern Wisconsin winters and they all held up perfectly. I wouldn't worry, if I were you. Sounds like you are doing everything right.
    -Sprout

• amigirl
    12 years ago

I've also been using teaspoons, and soup spoons with E-6000 and have not had any problems with them. I'm in Florida.

Sue

• laurastheme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

E6000 is a great glue, but I've been told that it isn't good for outside use. Sounds like you two haven't had a problem with it. I leave my garden art out all winter with no problem unless it wasn't done right to begin with, but we're in a mild climate in the Pac. NW.

• karenm26
    12 years ago

I have been using both spoons and forks and use GE Silicone. I have left them out all year long and have some that have been out for over 2 years with no trouble. I live in Indiana and we have had both extremely hot summers and terrible winters.

• smickerdoodle
    12 years ago

I have tried E6000 on a couple of projects and it didn't hold. I have rarely had that problem with GEII so I stick to using that for outside...and inside....projects. I haven't used the spoons for plate flowers but the GEII has held on the copper caps that I have used and I leave them out all winter.

• sprout_wi
    12 years ago

Laurastheme- Here is a glue site that might help.

Here is a link that might be useful: (Glue) This to That

• amigirl
    12 years ago

You have to apply the E6000 to both sides of the items you're gluing. Wait 30 sec. at least and then stick them together.

Sue

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Some of the Ge silicone ii failed after one or two or three years when I was using pipe fittings. I now use spoons and automotive goop with no failures yet (2 years). That said, a few of my silicone and plumbers goop ones are still out in the garden from years ago. But enough of them didn't work out that I have switched.

Kathy

• flowers12
    12 years ago

I've been using E-6000 for about two years and leave my totems and flowers out all year around. I've only had one embarassing situation when I didn't let the glue dry on the back of my flower for 3 days before I took it to a craft fair. When I was showing the buyer how to take it off the pvc pipe I pulled off the holder from the flower. ugh I was embarrased! I'm trying to experiment with flattening out spoons to use as I love the look of them over what I've been using.

• gardencraze
    12 years ago

Hi, I have had my spoons and forks atached to plate flower outside ever since I posted the idea about two yrs ago. I did not like that pipe idea cuz it seemed to too bulky for me, so I came up with the idea of the spoons, that has worked very well for me and I've sold about 100 plate flowers with no complaints.
    I'm so happy some one is using my idea, makes me feel like I contributed something to GJ since I have barrowed so many ideas from you guys. LOL (I too use GE windows and doors)

• flowers12
    12 years ago

I love the look of the forks with the tines curled but how in the world do you curl them? I can't seem to get them to look very good.

• laurastheme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I use needle nose pliers for curling the tines. Some of them are easier than others.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    12 years ago

If you do a search here "dcarch", you will come across what I have done with forks and spoons.

Basically, if you blow torch them red hot, you can bend/shape/cut them easily.

Also, you may like the patina of the metal after it is burned.

dcarch