Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chevy57red

Any experience with Outdoor Mod Podge?

chevy57red
12 years ago

The jury is still out here. My grand daughters used some colored with food coloring on some totems that they displayed at the county fair back in August. After they brought them home we has a little rain.. and whalaa!! NO more Mod Podge!! All washed off!!

Anyone else ever tried it? Was really wanting to make some of those jars with solar lights in them.. but feel it may be a waste of time?

Comments (5)

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

I think anything water based won't really last long outdoors. It may be that the outdoor modpodge lasts longer. But the artwork modpodged on will still fade in the sun even if it does last better, say on a porch. I was thinking of suggesting that you gd's paint the inside of the totems but then I realized that they often get some mist on the inside so that would make water based stuff soften.

If I was to paint glass, I would use glass paint. I have heard that people have luck with the one that you heat in the oven to kind of seal it on, but I have never tried it.

Good luck. I'm glad you asked as I've been wondering how best to color glass myself.

Kathy

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

I have used glass paints a lot out side on solar lights in them.Some of them have lasted a long time.

• jwahlton
    12 years ago

I'm glad you posted this. I was using regular modge podge and never even thought about it being water based! I now have to rethink my outdoor clay things.

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

I used Outdoor ModPodge on a glass marble garden globe I made. I was testing it out as I wanted to sell them in a craft show. Good thing I did a test first.

The first thing I noticed was that the ModPodge remained sticky. It just didn't dry. I did a little looking around their community board and this was mentioned and someone on that board said to just spray it with Krylon clear coat, which I did. That fixed that problem except where I got the Krylon on too thick it made the glass dull.

The second thing that happened was about three weeks later. I had set the globe out in the garden exposed to a garden enviroment. I noticed that it looked dull, and when I went to pick it up, the ModPodge came off in a gooey mess. I managed to clean the stuff off the glass and save the marbles, but I had spent an awful lot of time on it!

So I called the ModPodge company. The first thing they told me was that I wasn't supposed to use it for outside! I said that the jar I bought said "outside" in big letters and the site claimed that it was for outdoor use. She just ignored what I said and told me that putting it outdoors was my problem.

So, don't put ModPodge for Outdoors on anything that you are going to leave outdoors.

Penny

• faerygardener z7 CA
    12 years ago

Penny you must have been stunned. I picked this up but haven't used it yet - will definately rethink what I'd do with it.