Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
giggles1_gw

Trailer Trash- tooooo much fun!

giggles1
13 years ago

toomuchglass just had a post about insulting trailer residents, WELL, I was surfing Flickr just now, and I found some REALLY UNIQUE TRAILER YARD ART!!!

LITERALLY.

Had to put this in it's own post, you'll see why.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8599848@N05/4716099111/in/pool-356793@N25

Here is a link that might be useful: flickr

Comments (13)

• Kathryn Botard
    13 years ago

just hope they aren't in tornado alley

• garden2garden
    13 years ago

Giggles I ran across that a couple months ago, too. Thought it was really cute! Just last night I followed a link on a link someone had posted here. They were shipping container apartments in Amsterdam. They were just stacked up, but each one had their own private balcony where the back doors opened up. I can't find it again, but I googled the same idea and thought you might like these too. Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: shipping container housing/google

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Those stacked trailers were the props for a 2005 Dutch production of Anton Chekhov's play "Ivanov" at Theater het Amsterdam Bos in the Netherlands. Below is a link that shows more of the theater surrounding it. I thought it was really cool when I saw it in an email about a year ago. I had to find out where it was. he-he

Donna, those shipping container homes kind of remind me of my favorite series of Boxcar Children books by Gertrude Chandler Warner. They were about 4 orphaned kids who live in an old abandoned boxcar. They were always solving mysteries too. lol! I think I was a junker even back then because I admired the fact that they picked up things in the dump to repurpose in their boxcar home.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2005 Production of Ivanov

• toomuchglass
    13 years ago

I saw that Picture on an email !I didn't know if it really existed.

I met a group of gals on the internet -- and - believe it not - we met and took a road trip ! (long HAPPY story ) I saw houses built up the side of a mountain . I never saw that before . ( West Virginia ? ) I don't think I'd want to live there ---- but it was awesome looking .

• nanatricia
    13 years ago

Both of these are cool but why such abundance of shipping con.?

• garden2garden
    13 years ago

Good question nanatricia. I don't know.

Luna, I loved the Boxcar Children books! I was very much influenced by them, felt like I had finally met kindered spirits then, too, lol. It was 50 yrs ago that I read them (yikes!) and I don't remember a lot of the details, but I think of them often and was surprised when you mentioned them.
    There used to be an old fashioned caboose that sat by one of the overpasses on hwy 50 comming into Kenosha, that I coveted for a long time as a child. Would have made a very cute little casa.

• timbuck2
    13 years ago

My wife and I enjoyed this very much and laughed as well. We actually thought it was a dream come true. While some folks retire to Gated communities folks like us dream of a caged trailer park.Simple folks with simple dreams...lol.

• sprout_wi
    13 years ago

Giggles- Thanks for posting this. I had seen it before and loved it. I had received an e-mail with all kinds of different trailers that had been modified into mini-mansions, like this one, although not as elaborate, or with as many trailers in one setting.

G2G- OMG, I LOVED 'The Boxcar Children'. I too was influenced by the book and have thought about it many times over the years. Thanks for the reminder!

Another book I enjoyed was 'We Have Always Lived in a Castle' about a young girl and two old relatives who live in a broken down (condemned) old mansion.

My idol and mentor was Pipi Longstocking, so you can see I have been a junker from the get-go.
    -Sprout

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

timbuck2, I thought the same thing. Wouldn't it be fun to live in a trailer park like that? Much better than a gated community. lol

I'm so glad others enjoyed the Boxcar Children stories too.

• herself
    13 years ago

I can't believe it! Not only did I love the Boxcar Children, and Pipi, but I also loved We Have Always Lived in a Castle. Pipi was a true junker!

Thanks for the memories!

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

Oh my gosh, I'm seeing a theme here among us junkers. Yes Boxcar Children. We used to play "boxcar children". (do kids do that kind of play anymore?) And Pippi - I love her. I've never read "We always lived in a mansion" but I'll get be sure to now.
    Shipping Containers: Apparently we import so much from China and send so little back that the containers are piling up here in the USA. Its cheaper to make new ones than to send back empty ones! I want one. GARDEN SHED! Yes!
    I was so disappointed when I found out that the high rise trailers were a set for a play and not "real". (Though what an amazing set! Thanks Luna for the link.) I remember Susiewantsroses saying saying that she wanted to vacation there.
    Kathy

• tehuti
    13 years ago

nanatricia The answer to your question about excess shipping containers: "America is buying so much merchandise from other countries, primarily China and selling so little back to them that shipping containers are actually becoming an environmental hazard. Apparently it is cheaper to manufacture new ones on the opposite side of the ocean than transport them empty back to where they originated."

Here is a link that might be useful: Look here

• nmgirl
    13 years ago

My heroine!
    I was actually called Pippi when I was a kid. Red hair, freckles and I owned an Appaloosa horse. For you non-horsey folk out there, Appaloosa's are the American breed of horse with various spots, etc. If I remember right Pippi's horse was a breed called a Knabstrup.
    I was also called Peppermint Patty which I never understood 'cuz I really really don't like baseball/softball. That and open toe sandals. I would be continually stubbing my toes and wear sandals in a horse corral? Ugh.
    I think I need to buy the Pippi books for my niece for Christmas. I've already given her the Eloise books. And Ferdinand the Bull.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pippi's horse