Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frizzle_gw

Old door locks

Frizzle
15 years ago

So I bought a big peach basket filled with old doorknobs, (still attached to a piece of their doors!) with the square locking mechanism and all. You know, the skeleton key kind of lock.

I have plans for the white knobs, I can use the plates behind the knobs, but I have no clue what (if any) to use the square locks for?

Any suggestions? Do I even make sense without my second cup of coffee this morning?

Friz

Comments (21)

• Kathryn Botard
    15 years ago

if you have any that the keys work in, I would buy one from you. They are called mortises. You can still buy them brand new at Ace hardware.

• Frizzle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What I got was a cut out of the panel in the door where the knob was, the hardware was all there along with part of the door itself but no keys.

Sorry!

• craftylady-2006
    15 years ago

Can you use them as ornamental things on birdhouses or other decorations? I'm trying to think of the gal on here that makes the homemade birdhouses using license plates, doo-dads, etc.

If possible, can you post a pic of what you've got left to work with? It'd help making suggestions.

Sal

• Bright199
    15 years ago

Wow! sounds like a great find. Would love to see a picture of your treasures... and what you make from them.

• Frizzle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, lets see if I know how to post pictures anymore....

here's the pieces...
    {{gwi:187490}}

this is what I made so far... just drilled the holes into a piece of wood we tore off the front porch (that I covered in 2 coats of poly so the neat paint wouldn't come off) then found wooden dowels to fit the knobs and glue them into the board.
    {{gwi:187491}}

here's a close up and how I fastened it to the wall
    {{gwi:187492}}

The question is about the square lock box part. I don't have the keys so they aren't functional as a lock anymore.

Suggestions?

• Bright199
    15 years ago

WOW!!! I love your finds and what you've done with them so far!! I think you could make a wonderful birdhouse with those other parts. I can't tell Is the lock box flat or an actual box. You can just send them to me and I'll figure something out!!! LOL!

• souperwoman
    15 years ago

you can see the area on the lock boxes where the key once went. i can just envision attaching one to my vine-covered fence. I'd buy an old skeleton key (you can get a pack of 2 for just a couple bucks at the hardware store)--I'd remove the end of the key and put in the place where the actual key would have gone--perhaps attach a U-shaped wooden "handle" near it on the fence. It would be the secret door to my own secret garden (well, would look like one at least!).

• joannpalmyra
    15 years ago

Great idea! I have a bunch of old brown door knobs just waiting to be reused. Thanks for the inspiration. ~JoAnn

• daisydal
    15 years ago

could you put it between some boards and add a little tin roof and get some keys to put in the lock to resemble a perch for a bird house? Is there any way to attach them, keyhole facing out to the ends of your shelf and then whitewash like the rest of it? How about using them to make a shelf with, they could be the brackets with an old board across the top. Can't wait to see what you come up with, it will be interesting and unique whatever you do!!!
    blessings-sherri

• Frizzle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow - 2 great ideas!

I think my hubby would flip over a lock on the "hobbit" door. We've been throwing that idea around for awhile now, since before the movies were made in fact.

And the bird house idea might be the first thing I tackle. I have 3 pallets (leftover from a flagstone walkway project) heading to the recycling center this weekend - I think I'll yank a few choice boards off them for the sides. Maybe a license plate roof?

Yeah, I've got weekend plans! LOL

• Frizzle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, and THANKS!

• daisydal
    15 years ago

No, thank you,dear for sharing with us! I loved looking at your new treasures, your shelf is cute, cute, cute!! Can't wait to see whatcha do next!!
    blesings-sherri

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Love your door knob hooks! I really like the idea of the fairy/elf/hobbit door. Great thinkin' souperwoman! Daisydal, love your idea for the birdhouse too! Now I have to look for some old door knobs and locks!

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Or you can just use them for "Door Art!" I completed this project during one winter...it was good therapy! Jeanne S.

{{gwi:187493}}

• Bright199
    15 years ago

Jeanne, that's Beautiful!!! Where do you have it displayed?

• Frizzle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Woah! Neat!

Is that and indoor or outdoor side of the door? That would entertain my kids for hours!

• jlily
    15 years ago

Jeanne your door is Totally mesmerizing!! Jlily

• shysue
    15 years ago

Oh Jeanne! What a door! You are one creative lady. Is that a usable door or just decorative? It is hard to tell in the pic. I'm going to start saving door hardware and borrow you idea, if you don't mind.

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

It's a door in my basement/family room...leads into the laundry/shower room...can be used but usually use another doorway. The rope hanging on the knob has a leash on it...used to have to use that with our old dog when we left...he never was kenneled...so his bed laid in front of the door. Now he is gone...so no leash there anymore...our newly adopted pet rescue dog uses a kennel when we leave home. I love the door also! My kids just kind of shook their heads...oh well...it was good therapy!

And, Frizzle, hope you got some good ideas to use! Jeanne S.

• daisydal
    15 years ago

And now, in the most uniquely decorated door category, the award goes to ...Jeanne!!!
    Wow! That is so cool, Jeanne! That must have taken a long time, but I bet it was a fun WIP! I love the old hardware and like to see what everyone comes up with! Yours is def tops in my book!!
    blessings-sherri

• pprattpratt
    14 years ago

wind chimes, I can visualize useing the box part and pieces in building wind chimes