Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcarch7

Diamonds ------- Best Friend

I would really encourage you guys to look into buying:

Diamond core drill bits

Diamond wet saw

Small Drill press.

These tools are inexpensive, especially used ones.

You can do so much more once you have these tools. You can sell more of your work at higher prices.

dcarch

Comments (19)

• greensuzq
    13 years ago

Thank you for the info. I have just purchased some of these bits and have been drilling some holes. Now I need to find a wet saw and drill press??? I really am taking over my hubbies barn for sure. Have A Great Day!

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

Yup, I say to Hubby...Tools, not Jewels! I have diamond bits, tile saw, and a glass ring saw!!! Love drillin' cuttin' sawin'...

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

Good suggestions dcarch. Thanks!
    Kathy

• a.girl.named.max
    13 years ago

Very good advice!

Glue might be okay for personal projects but I prefer drilling with a diamond core bit if I'm giving my junk/art as a gift or selling it. It seems like I have tried almost every adhesive available and keep going back to the drilling method. I also tried masonry bits but had some trouble with cracking and breakage. Diamond core bits are my best friends.

dcarch, what do you use the wet saw for?

Does anyone have experience using a diamond file?

Thanks everyone for all your inspirations! I love this site.

• briergardener_gw
    13 years ago

Diamond core drill bits: can you drill glass with them?
    If yes, how?

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You can use a wet saw to cut glass, tiles, stones, ceramics, etc. Do not cut metal or wood with it.

Diamond files are good to shape small work, also for glass, tiles, etc.

dcarch

Original Author
    13 years ago

Diamond core drill bits:

You can drill very big holes in glass, big big holes.

You also end up with a nice circlar disk of glass that you cut out.

Imagine you drill 2" holes evenly around a plate, and put another one on top and another one on top. Now that's some plate flower!

Then you use all those disks to make something else.

dcarch

• a.girl.named.max
    13 years ago

Or... you can drill small holes to add wire and beads around the edge... or cut holes to run a threaded rod through so you can build sturdy totems, bird baths, etc.

I love my diamond core bits.

A Girl Named Max

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

Here is a pc of plain glass that I glued some stained glass and agate slices to, after drilling holes to hang stuff with....

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:189112}}

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

calamity...I absolutely LOVE that art pc ...& especially how you've added that lovely white material as a backdrop. GORGEOUS! TFS! Jeanne S.

• briergardener_gw
    13 years ago

I don't have any experience with drilling.
    So, can somebody tell me if i can use electrical hand held drill with diamond core drills to make small holes in the glass? Do i need to cover glass at first with something like duct tape to prevent splitting? Any other tips on how to do the drilling?
    Can i drill holes in ceramic flower pots that don't have drainage holes? Any tips on this kind of work?
    thank you for all your great advices.

• a.girl.named.max
    13 years ago

Hmmm... I think dcarch or calamity might be better resources, but I'll tell you a little about my experience. I started with my dremel and their new diamond core bit. Unfortunately they recalled the bit so I moved on to the real thing which is a drill press. With the hand held dremel I found that that the glass, plate, pot, cup, whatever might fly out of my hand while I was trying to drill it. Dremel provided an oil with their bits. My other bits recommend using water. You want to go slow and keep the bit cool. It's a method that has a learning curve. I guess that's what makes it an art. Hopefully dcarch or calamity will chime in. I suspect they have a lot more experience and equipment. Hope this helps.

A Girl Named Max

• a.girl.named.max
    13 years ago

dcarch, do you have any pics you would be willing to share of things you've made using the really large glass cut outs?

I only have bits that range from 1/8" to 5/8". Do you have to smooth the edges of the large cut outs? If so, what method do you use. I'm wondering if I should invest in larger bits. Thanks much

A Girl Named Max

Original Author
    13 years ago

1. How to drill large holes in glass or ceramics?: Do a search on youtube. There are many videos there.

2. A round silicone carbide sharpening stone or a round diamond file will smooth any rough edges very quickly.

3. I have not gotten into making many of the projects which many here are so good at. The largest hole I have drill thru glass was a four-inch hole thru �" thick glass. But I can imagine the possibilities are endless for new creations. A bottle tree with bottles that whistle? a transparent birdhouse? A bottle bird feeder? A plate flower that no one has seen before? ----------

I had a very large old TV set which I drilled the 4" hole thru the top of the tube. I removed all the things inside the tube and turned that into a gold fish tank. It was very interesting. Only one channel of goldfish swimming.

dcarch

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

Love the tv fishtank idea.
    I want a better way to cut glass and bottles than my little bottle cutter. I'll have to look into these things, and talk to dh who may want to weigh in on getting something that is useful to him as well.
    Kathy

• tehuti
    13 years ago

An air compressor and a sears sand blaster, about $250.00 never break a piece of glass again and create holes on uneven surfaces.

my 2�
    Robert

Original Author
    13 years ago

Sandblasting is great for creating designs on glass in relief.

dcarch

• a.girl.named.max
    13 years ago

My DBF has been talking about getting an air compressor. I should probably encourage him. After all he has been so supportive (enabling) of all my junk, I mean upcycling projects.

A Girl Named Max

• tehuti
    13 years ago

Right Dcarch. This used to be an old bedroom mirror. I stripped off the frame and sandblasted it from the back. Now it hangs in the hallway. It was harder to take the photo of the mirror than it was to sandblast it and paint the figure.
    {{gwi:189115}}

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz