Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
verna_lynn

Glass totems

verna.lynn
12 years ago

Can anyone help me find a better way to glue my glass totems together? I have been using Quick Grip and after a few rainy days, some of them have fell apart! I',m just sick! I reapplied the glue and ran a bead of aquarium silicone around the glue. Will that work? I live in Illinois and we alot of rain and humidity. The ones I gave as gifts is so embarrassing! Please help! I also added a solar light in the tops of mine! :) Thanks!!!

Comments (11)

• laurastheme
    12 years ago

About 99% of us use GE silicone for windows and doors with good luck.

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Yep, the GE Silcone II (clear) for windows and doors is THE best I think. My totems have been solid for years, thru rain and 118 degrees, and some freezing nights occasionally. I love it.
    Be careful buying it from Walmart tho, sometimes its 'out of date' and then it doesn't work good. The tubes are dated so you can check them.

hugs, Karen

• laurastheme
    12 years ago

That's true. About a year and a half ago I bought some from Walmart that was outdated. I didn't know it until I got it home. I took it back and noticed that all the tubes were outdated. I've purchased it there numerous times since then with no problem, but I always check the date before I bring it home. It's really hard to see. It's indented in small numbers on the bottom end of the tube.

• verna.lynn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all so much! I bought GE Silicone 11 and it seems to be working perfectly. I took apart the ones I had used Quick Grip on and used it on them too. Now I feel confident that they won't fall apart when we get those steamy hot summers and freezing winters. Thanks again!!!

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

I've only made a couple things ... used GE silicone II ...but living in IA, I put them in the garden shed in the Winter...it's cold but out of the snow & ice. Good luck! Jeanne S.

• flowers12
    12 years ago

Isn't it difficult to get a narrow bead to come out of the tube? I haven't tried it yet but I got used to using E-6000 and I can get a smooth narrow stream of glue with the tube. I used one of the silicones once and got just a big thick gob to come out.
    Thanks for your help.
    Marilyn

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

You can buy Silicone II in large tubes or small ones ...I've only used the large tube but read of many who use the small one & then nothing is wasted by getting too old. Jeanne S.

• ga_karen
    12 years ago

flowers 12, it depends on how you cut the end off the tube. Cut is near the tip and at an angle & it won't come out in a blob...it will come out in a thin line as long as you keep the tube moving.

• flowers12
    12 years ago

Karen, thanks for the tip. I guess I'm used to using the silicone for projects with my hubby and didn't give much thought. Next time I'll follow your suggestion and I'm sure I'll be able to use it easily.
    Marilyn

• Adnan23
    12 years ago

I also used GE Silicone to glue my glass lantern and it did wonders for me.I recommend GE Silicone to everyone who breaks glasses a lot :) like me

Here is a link that might be useful: glass lantern

• posieh
    12 years ago

I did the same thing and it says "Quick Grip" is water proof. You can find silicone glue in tubes also.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022