Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommyandme2

aluminum platter

mommyandme2
10 years ago

Still struggling with recovery from an attack of sciatica, but have managed to FINALLY get outside a few times for very short walks. Yesterday, I found this 10" long platter near the dumpster. On the back it is stamped "Hand Forged Everlast". According to e-bay, it is vintage hammered aluminum from the 1940's or 50's. A similar platter is listed for $10 & has no bidders so I guess it's not particularly valuable. It's aluminum so it won't get rusty. It's thick so drilling through it would be very difficult, I imagine. Any ideas on what I could do with it ? Laura

Comments (17)

• jlily
    10 years ago

What a wonderful piece! You could use it under flower pots if nothing else. I am blank.-sorry! Enjoy! Jlily

• garden2garden
    10 years ago

Have you seen those plant markers people make where the name of the plant is stamped into the silverware? You could stamp a garden saying around the edge.
    Or in the middle is a nice place for a name or initials or a word or 2.
    If you don't have access to the stamps I guess you could paint or stencil.
    I could be wrong because I've never done it, but I think aluminum is not too hard to drill.

• tasymo
    10 years ago

Actually, aluminum is quite easy to drill through. Maybe you could use it to make a silverware wind chime?

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    10 years ago

I would make a sign to hang on a fence or place in the garden with one of my favorite garden quotes. Use stick on letters or paint with permanent paints or spray over stencils. You may have to coat it with a clear sealer.

• nonacook
    10 years ago

My first thought was 'wind chime' too!
    Chain at the top-2 holes- to hang it, and drill holes
    at the bottom to hang beads and/or chimes.
    I use something called 'jack chain' but you may not
    find it by that name--it come in 2 sizes and I use
    the small.

• laurastheme
    10 years ago

I love the sign. I never would have thought of that.
    Laura

• Marlene Kindred
    10 years ago

What a great find! I thought of a windchime too, but I like the garden sign as well! Hope you'll show us what your finished project looks like.

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    10 years ago

I use very similar ones as bird waterers. The birds seem to like the fact that they aren't that deep. They don't rust and they are usually heavy enough not to blow away in the wind. I just put it on my deck railing and fill with water every day. The birds are especially grateful in the winter when fresh water is less available to them.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

I was thinking bird water bath, or bird seed tray. Drill a whole in the middle, put a big flat washer down then use a large nail or screw to attach it to the top of a post.

• brownsugar75
    10 years ago

Use chalk paint and use in any room in your house or outdoors.

• kieranw172
    9 years ago

Ive got a big brass platter similar to like this.
    I would just put it on a table with a few nice terracotta pots and a few nice plants.

• steiconi
    9 years ago

When checking prices on eBay, do your search, then scroll down through the menu bar on the left until you find "show only" Select "sold listings" and you'll see what similar pieces actually sold for, instead of what's being asked. I got all excited one time because I found my McCoy flower pot offered for $135. Turns out they really sell for about $25.

Aluminium doesn't rust, but it will corrode some, getting a chalky or even rough surface. And it does drill easily.

Your platter would make a good mounting board to display a collection of smaller items. How about hanging some pretty teacups from it? Drill holes, run wire through handles... You could even combine a sign and display.

• seamommy
    9 years ago

That's a beautiful aluminum platter and it is valuable. Antiques go through phases and aluminum kitchen ware is in a slump right now. But it will come back and your platter could be worth much more then. About ten years ago it would have been sold in an antique store for around $35. So its future value could be significantly more. I wouldn't do anything to permanently mar it. But I might display it on a wall or use it to serve treats at a party.

• rosiew
    9 years ago

I have a nice collection of hammered aluminum and keep several pieces 'displayed' outside year round. Love the sun shining on them.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    9 years ago

Too small for a birdbath. good idea though.

1. Get polishing compound from an auto parts store.

2. 30 minutes of work to give the plate a mirror polish.

3. find a way to epoxy a candle holder to the plate.

4. Epoxy a picture frame hook to the back and hand it on the wall.

dcarch

{{gwi:189429}}

• rosiew
    9 years ago

darch, great idea!

I bought a small tube at a Harley shop. Naturally, cannot find it, sorry, but it said something in the name about Mag cleaner. Long story short, it was amazing on all my hammered aluminum.

• lizbeth-gardener
    9 years ago

Get some of the polishing compound dcarch suggested and then use it as a tray for loose change, jewelry, cosmetics, etc. I never have enough trays!