Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mini garden hints and a question

Posted by posieh 3 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 4, 12 at 16:37

I'm painting bottle caps a gray marble to use for stepping stones in the mini gardens. Also found some old Christmas figures and small houses and such and am repaintting them in other colors to use. Also the tiny christmas animals can be transformed. I am wondering if some outdoor plants might survive in the inside gardens such as creeping thyme. tiny hens and chickens, and others? They could always be trimmed back. I've also seen quart milk cartons and other small boxes covered with paper or painted with a roof added, and you have a little house! I'm also using some of my dried flowers here and there for color. And ice cream sticks can be split and shortened for a picket fence. some of my old junk jewerly has been used here and there.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mini garden hints and a question

Good ideas. Like the bottle cap idea as stepping stones but would be best indoors in aquarium or glass house type fairy garden. Do you have any pics so we could get better idea what you are doing? Jan

o

I've only made outdoor mini gardens, so I can't help you on plant tips. I have had customers tell me that they bring theirs inside for the winter and they have died - they bring them back to me to be replanted in the spring (even though I give them written instructions to leave them outside!) I use the type of plants you mentioned, so....???? not sure. I'm not sure if they just set them inside the garage for the winter or bring them in the house and keep them watered.

Another idea for stepping stones, I buy up old slate pieces at garage sales and take a hammer to them to make small pieces. I've also bought floor or wall tile at Home Depot or Lowes (the small pieces on a mesh backing) and peeled them off the backing. They have quite a variety, and a lot of them look like stone. I've also used broken shell pieces I've picked up at the beach - the rounded smooth kind. Have fun!
Arlene

o

Sounds like you have lots of good ideas already! Love the bottlecap idea for stepping stones. I've never made a fairy/gnome house. I usually find small cookie jars made like houses to use, but I have seen the ones you mention. As for plants, I guess it will depend on where you are with reference to climate. I would suggest using more indoor plants if you plan to keep your garden inside. You can use "Creeping Jenny" inside and out. Thyme needs a lot of sun or bright light, but it would probably work. Other than that, I'd consult Google for inside plants for use in Terrariums or "mini plants." Would love to see your creations....hope you'll post some pictures!

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here