Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Repurposed light fixture, now planter

DH found this, and asked if I wanted it. Heck yeah! Took 2 glass panels out in the back for access, air flow, and for the plants to 'spill' out. That's where the sun will hit it, if at all, a few minutes in the morning on one side, a few mins in the evening on the other. He gutted the electricals for me, found a plastic pot to kind of fit. While he was doing that, I was inspecting plants, thinking about what should go in it, and where. (Obviously shade or I'd be watering the 3 oz. of soil every 6.5 minutes.) I'd pretty much decided when he pointed to some Callisia repens and said something like, 'what about this stuff?' Identical idea to mine. ...and I didn't think he was paying much attention. He rocks!

Callisia repens, about 10 little snips. The urge to stuff more in there instantly was hard to overcome, it will be hard to see the light thing by the time serious cold takes this stuff out. Any imaginings for something different next year? ...tiny leaves, total shade, needing to trim is fine, flowers would be awesome although I can't think of anything. And I LOVE tiny flowers. Hmm...

Have you repurposed a light fixture? If so, please feel free to share.

Comments (10)

• annedickinson
    10 years ago

Wow.. that is a great planter. Trailing sedum would be lovely. It stays small and flowers. And it would overwinter.

• threekittens_ia
    10 years ago

Very cute idea!

• bootscootengal
    10 years ago

lovv it

• nonacook
    10 years ago

I like that sort of thing just as decoration!
    The plants are a bonus.....Wonderful!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all!

It's totally redneck rigged, sticking out a little on the sides, but I can see it out the window in the front door there, right below the thermometer.

I don't know of any Sedums that would be happy in so little light, but do have a ton of tiny sun-loving creepers. It was a compromise putting it in the shade (in favor of my sanity, not worrying about watering that thing several times a day.) Looks like it's not getting a bit of direct light at all, I wasn't sure until yesterday. Thanks for the suggestion though! The Callisia may or may not still be alive in the spring, but I'll probably be bored with it.

Here's the whole pole, soon before sunset...

• minky64
    9 years ago

Moving to the lake and need ideas for the porch. Will have to grow veggies in pots. Thinking of taking my clematis but not sure if it will thrive in a new area. Love your idea of the light fixture with a plant. Will miss having my large window with plants. So maybe a kitchen grow window needs to be put in. Haven't been on garden web for awhile so love hearing new ideas. Love to sew heart pillows from old quilts. Also have my old wedding dress and want to make pillows from that but new ideas welcome.

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

That is a darling lamp even cuter made to planter.

• concretenprimroses
    9 years ago

Wonderful idea.
    Kathy

• mla2ofus
    9 years ago

I hope you gave DH a big hug for such a good find! It looks great!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the additional compliments! Oh yes, DH could tell I was very happy with the cute idea. Ended up with a 2nd by the end of the season last year.

The Callisia is definitely dead if anyone was curious about that.

We just moved last week, so IDK if we'll get around to details like this for this summer or not. Definitely have the porch posts for it, just so many things that *need* to be done - and no beds here for ground plants. Gotta fix that ASAP!

Minky, I love quilt patterns though my Mom is the one who actually makes quilts. Some of the ones she made were from patterns I made. I'm more inclined to cross stitch. The two areas share the same geometrical art. So some quilts have a matching cross-stitch.

If you're making decorations that don't need to go in laundry, furniture fabric samples might be useful/appealing. If you have a furniture store nearby that takes orders (usually Mom'n'Pops do this,) they should have fabric samples that are updated twice a year. The discontinued ones usually get trashed. They can be anywhere in size from a few square inches to almost a couple sq feet. Some upholstery fabric is washable, some not. Assuming it's not is the safest way to use these. (Washing first to test can lead to interesting consequences, like a washing machine full of strings where fabric used to be. If you do that, cut off any sewn edges AFTER. LOL!!)

Sponsored
WellCraft Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars61 Reviews
Virginia’s Full Service Design-Build Remodeling Company