Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinfoilhat

Two Aquatic Critters and One Not

tinfoilhat
9 years ago

Buster Crab, made from differential cover, horseshoes, wrenches, and chain.
{{gwi:190731}}

Samantha Snail, made from planter wheel, pipe, engine rocker arms, washers, and concrete nails.
{{gwi:190733}}

And on an unrelated but aquatic related theme.

I have a small river a 1/4 of a mile from my house. After the rains this week it swelled into a lake and part of my backyard.
This was the scene just before dawn after most of the lake receded.
{{gwi:190735}}

{{gwi:190736}}

I had Muddy Waters on my mind and I was thinking I might have to build a blues guitarist when I finish the blind sax player I have on the welding table. The remnants of an old Muddy Waters song were just creeping into my mind when the blues' guitar sound was shattered by the sounds of a distorted synthesizer and Simon and Garfunkel crying out, "Save the Life of my Child."

He just looked so pathetic bobbing out there in the water. I sighed why me lord and waded in to get him. Not before waking up my film crew to document the heroic moment. She was not a happy camper. After I rescued the tortoise I mentioned banana pancakes seemed like a fitting reward. Not even in your dreams she said, mumbled something about virtue being its own reward and went back to bed. I'm asking you, does a bowl of soggy corn flakes seem like a just reward for my life saving feat?
{{gwi:190737}}

And now I'm back to work, my to do list has gotten incredible longer.

Comments (14)

• lucillle
    9 years ago

Beautiful sculptures. And kudos to you for saving the life of the tort.
    You deserve banana pancakes, I'd make you some but you are too far away, by the time USPS delivered them they wouldn't seem like such a good idea any more.

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    9 years ago

I do love your work! Saving the tort is just a bonus. You do amazing things.

• steiconi
    9 years ago

I thought you were offering to make banana pancakes to reward your film crew...

• nonacook
    9 years ago

Thanks for being a life-saver!!

• 1212dusti
    9 years ago

Love turtles, thanks for saving him! I'm sure some restaurant down there makes banana pancakes..

• oldcrafty
    9 years ago

AAAAWWWW you deserve the pancakes and a nice hot cup of coffee. Good save, I'm sure he's appreciative of your efforts. Love your creations! and your story!

• Marlene Kindred
    9 years ago

You're a good man Tinfoil!! Thanks for saving the tortoise and if I thought the banana pancakes would survive the mail service, I'd send them to you myself.

LOVE your critters....the crab is really COOL!!

Another great job.....you need to slow down....my DH will never catch up! ;-)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Lucky tortoise!
    Humm do I foresee a sculpture of a stack of Pancakes? Lol
    As always awesome work.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Great work, great story. So did your fire-breathing dragon help dry thing out? And are you due for more rain from Hurricane Odile?

tj

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

What a card. I love your crab!
    We are getting your moisture from Odelle also. It is hitting a tropical system coming in from the gulf, so we are getting it from two directions. A cold front is supposedly coming down from the north. It is too hilly for a lake here, but so far 6" and we have had it light compared to others in the area. The bridge over the river is under water.

It looks like winter in the East in your photos, not Arizona.

• Enterotoxigenic00
    9 years ago

Love the critters.
    I'm sure my DH would've made pancakes to
    reward you. I too would have gone back to
    bed.
    Karen

• sorie6 zone 6b
    9 years ago

Your work just amazes me. Lucky turtle to have someone that cares!! Good save!
    Do you get the dirt storms Az. has been having?
    Thanks for sharing your wonderful work as always.

• tinfoilhat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I'm blessed with dirt/dust storms too. Last year I had a 70 mph plus wind rip thru here busting trees and taking the roof and trusses off what I call the lake house by the pond.
    Some EPA official that had never been to AZ said he was going to fix the dust problem a couple years ago. I expected to see 10's of thousands of water trucks descending on the state and driving all over the desert sprinkling water on the ground everyday but for some unexplained reason it never happened.

• sunnyca_gw
    9 years ago

Have you seen the FEMA motor homes! Wow! we should all work for them. Really beautiful!! There are some nice ones out here but none so fine as Fema workers get to use.That's why you didn't get your water trucks!! Love your critters especially that snail, she looks like she is hungry, keep the turtle away from her!! At least you got to cool off during your rescue . Love your stories! Jan