Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommyandme2

tutorial: aluminum flowers, dahlia type

mommyandme2
12 years ago

Chrysanthemum/dahlia type: Punch a tiny hole at the top of an aluminum, can. Work the tip of your scissors in & neatly, cut off the top. If your scissors is creating a dangerously rough edge, try a different pair of scissors. Some work better on aluminum than others. Cut straight down the side of the can to the bottom.Cut around the bottom. Discard the top & bottom. Flatten the remaining rectangle of aluminum. Trace & cut several circles of different sizes. We used a set of biscuit cutters, but you can also use soda bottle, jelly jar & pill bottle caps, as well as lots of other things. Punch a hole in the middle of each circle with the pointed end of a compass or a leather awl. Cut each circle, almost to the hole,into 16 wedges. carefully trim each wedge into a petal shape. Don't make yourself crazy. My dd "S" does a beautiful job. Mine aren't so nice, but I have RA & am grateful I can still use a scissors at all. Pin the layers together with a brad. I usually do 4 layers, but, depending on the length of the brad's legs, you might be able to do 8 or more. After the layers are pinned together, fluff up the layers by pulling the top layers up & the lower layers down. The ones I make come out at about 3" diameter, but it depends on the size of the circles you start with. We have a set of shears, meant for scrapbooking, that cut different edges. We made some 3 layer flowers, cut with a jagged edge that look like coreopsis flowers. See photo # 29

Any questions ? Laura

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?