Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tutorial: aluminum flowers, dahlia type

Posted by mommyandme2 none (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 12, 11 at 18:47

Chrysanthemum/dahlia type: Punch a tiny hole at the top of an aluminum, can. Work the tip of your scissors in & neatly, cut off the top. If your scissors is creating a dangerously rough edge, try a different pair of scissors. Some work better on aluminum than others. Cut straight down the side of the can to the bottom.Cut around the bottom. Discard the top & bottom. Flatten the remaining rectangle of aluminum. Trace & cut several circles of different sizes. We used a set of biscuit cutters, but you can also use soda bottle, jelly jar & pill bottle caps, as well as lots of other things. Punch a hole in the middle of each circle with the pointed end of a compass or a leather awl. Cut each circle, almost to the hole,into 16 wedges. carefully trim each wedge into a petal shape. Don't make yourself crazy. My dd "S" does a beautiful job. Mine aren't so nice, but I have RA & am grateful I can still use a scissors at all. Pin the layers together with a brad. I usually do 4 layers, but, depending on the length of the brad's legs, you might be able to do 8 or more. After the layers are pinned together, fluff up the layers by pulling the top layers up & the lower layers down. The ones I make come out at about 3" diameter, but it depends on the size of the circles you start with. We have a set of shears, meant for scrapbooking, that cut different edges. We made some 3 layer flowers, cut with a jagged edge that look like coreopsis flowers. See photo # 29
Any questions ? Laura

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tutorial: aluminum flowers, dahlia type

• Posted by sorie6 5 colorado (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 12, 11 at 22:00

WOW your flowers are so beautiful. Thank you for the tutorial. DH will be able to make some of these. He's on oxygen and can't weld anymore. Give him something to do.

o

Your can flowers sure are gorgeous! I love how you have them all displayed together. Thanks for the tutorials too!

o

Thanks so much for all of the tutorials! I copied and pasted them into a document so I would be able to keep the info in one place. Woohoo!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here