Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindee11461

tire planter

cindee11461
17 years ago

Now selling on ebay.....another thing someone could make? Looks like it could be tricky to get the scalloped edge. Has anyone made one like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay tire planter

Comments (25)

• cait1
    17 years ago

There was a post on tire planters back in June. I have tires but have yet to turn them inside out.
    For anyone willing to try here's a link. (And I do know how to link!!lol)
    Cait

Here is a link that might be useful: how to turn tires inside out

• nonacook
    17 years ago

A friend made one for me, but he had never seen
    one and did not put the scollops. I like it anyway.

• joyy
    17 years ago

that's really neat. i've never seen anything like that before.

• Purplemoon
    17 years ago

That is really pretty, and I didn't think price bad at all for the work of cutting and painting it.

Karen

• kweenofkings
    17 years ago

I've made one. The hardest part is flipping it inside out!!!

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Those look so cool--but also seems like it would take more than one person to do it! While I was growing up, everyone used plain old tires--and tractor tires. It is amazing that someone thought to cut them and turn them to make them look pretty. Luvs

• idic
    17 years ago

If anyone is interested in the planter on some of the other tire art I have the tire craft book (Yup, bought it a few years ago) I have a hard time finding NON steel belted tires. They cut and are a pain to turn. The book even has the pattern for the horse swing. The instructions are mostly pictures / diagrams but if you want them I send out copies. E mail me and we'll work it out.
    Cindy

• jerisgarden
    17 years ago

Cool idea for planter and good recycling project. Also, does anybody know how to make the hanging bird planter out of the tire? I think they are really neat. This is really a great site for ideas and ya'll are all so helpful.

• gibsona
    17 years ago

This is such a cool idea! I've already started asking people if they have any old tires laying around they need to get rid of. Question though: What would you put on the bottom of the planter to make it portable? Thanks in advance!
    Ann

• gardener64
    17 years ago

Husband found this in trash put on a shepherds hook going to plant something hanging next year

Here is a link that might be useful: parrot

• barefootin
    17 years ago

I love the parrot! My list keeps getting longer...and longer...I need a bigger yard too..LOL

Sherrie

• amadeus3505
    17 years ago

Hey there everyone!
    I'm the dude you saw in that eBay listing making the tire planter
    I want you guys to know that you helped bring many visitors to that site. I am in the process of writing a guide to post on eBay about how to make the blooming tire planter. I just wanted to say 'thank you' for lookin', talkin', referrin', and gawkin' at the planter site! If you have some creative ideas about what to do with these tires...drop us a line or respond to this post. On eBay, we are theanythingandeverything. I will have the guide finished by tomorrow( tentative plan, of course). Thanks again
    Have A Great Day!
    Happy Holidays!
    Chris

Oh, and, by the way, you guys have some great stuff in your gardens. Cindi, you were extremely instrumental in many of the unique visits we experienced. I love your garden and I also like your brothers creativity. Keep it UP! AWESOME!

Here is a link that might be useful: theanythingandeverything

• texaspuddyprint
    17 years ago

I've seen planters that look like but as well as others that like big pedestal urns/planters.

The seams appear to be sewn together with wire or possibly big staples...never really paid attention to them aside from giving one fleamarket vendor photos of the bird/parrot planters and telling him he ought to make some of those to sell.

I haven't been back to the fleamarket in a few several months. Will have to remember to take my camera next time I go and hopefully get photos if any vendors there have tire planters. Will post them if and when I do :o)

~ Cat

• little_dani
    17 years ago

We make and use lots of tire planters. I use them in the vegetable garden in summer (painted) and winter (unpainted).

This is our winter garden a couple of years ago. The black tires are great in the winter garden, as they warm up and hold the warmth for a long time. The tires on the fence grow tomatoes in summer, and sometimes peas in winter.

{{gwi:191489}}

Same garden same time. The tires at the end of the long bed of calendulas yeilded a LOT of juicy strawberries!

{{gwi:191490}}

We grow all kinds of crops in these tires. Here, we have peppers, onions, and herbs in tires, the herbs being in the tires at the far end of the garden.

This was a little vegetable garden we set up for a client. He grew a lot in this 8'x8' space; tomatoes, onions, peppers, squash, zuchinni, beans, and okra!

{{gwi:191491}}

These tires are just waiting for something to be planted in them. The orange one, and the purple one are made from the little emergency 'donut' spare tires that come with cars now days. They are cute little 'urns', as we leave them on the wheels. This is the ideal way to make them portable. They can get heavy tho, so it is not likely that you will be moving them around much.

{{gwi:191492}}

This blue tire is from a 4 wheeler, now full of mixed lettuce. The pink one is trying to nurture a tomato that is still loaded with tomatoes, but is just about gone.

This blue tire was a difficult tire to turn.

{{gwi:191493}}

Jsnie

• Calamity_J
    17 years ago

I was driving home last night and saw a tire that must of blown off a truck, all that was left was the tread part!!! I was at a stop light at a highway intersection and contemplated on jumping out and grabbing it off the miridian!!! It looked so good! But alas, it was 10pm and raining like monsoon and I was just too "tired"! LOL! Jane (Who carries a spare tire......... on her person!lol!)

• amadeus3505
    17 years ago

HI Everyone!
    It's Chris here. You know, the tire planter dude? Well, I did it! I put my very first guide on eBay. Here is the link: http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-make-a-tire-planter-for-your-home-and-garden_W0QQugidZ10000000002555877

Could you guys do me another favor? Could y'all please read it and let me know what you think. I wanted to add pics but we weren't prepared for that. My girls brother and family are coming in today and with cleaning the house and Xmas goodies there has been no time. I appreciate everytihng you guys attribute to.
    Have A Great Day!
    Happy Holidays!
    Chris
    theanythingandeverything
    Stoney's Munch N Movie Mansion (our store--named after our new pup(Stoney) and our kid (Munchy--who is The Munchinator now because he is 6 (a big boy)).

Here is a link that might be useful: How to make a tire planter for your home and garden

• amadeus3505
    17 years ago

Hello everyone!!

Just a short note to say...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Here is a link that might be useful: theanythingandeverything

• WUVIE
    16 years ago

Hello Cait,

Thanks for the mention to the free instructions
    on our blooming tire planter site.

They are a ball to make indeed.

Little Dani, love your tulip tires, too cute!

Karen Marie

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Glad this topic was bumped, forgot about that miridian tire episode, had a laugh remembering! I scrounged two tractor tires a couple of years ago to plant in, one to hold invasive bamboo, and was standing at the top of my tiered back yard(stairs) and thought I'd just let go of the tire and it would bounce off the stairs instead of me struggling with it, wel...it bounced..and picked up speed...and bounced again...picking up more speed...well that puppy bounced all the way down a 100ft tiered yard and kept gaining speed...and kept going, final bounce and it cleared our yard all together and sits where it landed, two years ago, in the bushes...never to be seen again. Well, not all bright ideas work out!! But I still have the other one and will cit it open more with my jig saw, DON"T ever try a skill saw, BAD IDEA!! Just about took my leg off! Yup, Calamity is my name!!!

• little_dani
    16 years ago

A SKILL SAW?!!!!!!!!!

Good Grief! I would never have thought of using a skill saw! You are lucky you didn't take a leg or a hand off, or something!

Try grinding the teeth off the blade of the jig saw, and grind the back of the blade (the smooth edge), too, for relief. It does make a difference, as the blade doesn't get caught up if it is smooth.

Be careful!

Janie

• seafire1
    16 years ago

Ooh ooh, Dh is replacing the boat tires next week!!!!They would make nice size planters!!!
    :)
    Pam

• gardnpondr
    16 years ago

Yes we made one many years ago and man those things are MEGA hard to turn inside out! I thought we were going to kill each other before we got it accomplished! UGHHHHHHH

• katefisher
    16 years ago

Cindee:

A lady on our Garden Junk forum here posted a link recently showing her moon garden and some other photos of some very groovy tire planters that are very similar. Link below.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Tire Planters found on GardenWeb

• almendra
    16 years ago

Little Dani,

I love your tire planters, not to mention your garden!
    Can you post instructions as to how to make them?

Almendra

• almendra
    16 years ago

Oooops! I just noticed Cait already posted a link to the instructions....thanks.

Almendra

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz