Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smickerdoodle

What can I do with old tires on rims?

smickerdoodle
14 years ago

I was given a couple of old tires on rims to do with whatever I can come up with....problem is I can't come up with any ideas. I figured if anyone could help me out, it would be the people here at GJ. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

~Micki~

Comments (10)

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

All I've seen is veggies or flowers growing in just the rubber part. Might hold dirt in place on an incline, suppose you could put large pot of wave petunias on them as a stand or something else that goes over sides of pots. Might look nice & add height & more of a statement to a not so stately plant!!Jan

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

smicker ... I've had 2 tire planters for many, many yrs...one thing is they don't BLOW AWAY & another is that they NEVER WEAR OUT! They're kind of hard to make (turning the rubber)...so you'll need help...grab those kids! Maybe this site will give you some ideas! Jeanne S.
    p.s. I have one planted with hen & chicks & the other with mint (to keep it from spreading too much)...has worked great!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tire planter

• maryee
    14 years ago

There is a marvelous book by a guy from Utah called Tire Crafting. It has many things to make from tires on rims. His website is tirecrafting.com. It is a fascinating book.

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

I like Rush Felder's "rubber tree." You can see his yard at http://www.felderrushing.net/frontyard.htm. But I love these tire planters at the site below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bird planters made from tires.

• chelcass
    14 years ago

Those are awesome......I might even consider spent 49.00 to buy one. It's something everybody won't have. Too Cool!!

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

WOW .... luna .... those are really pretty! Great way to recycle .... so attractive and durable. Love that. I'd probably pay the $49 too, if I didn't have 2 grandsons to spend the money on instead lol. Need to show the pic to hubby and see if he might try his version ....

Micki, I had an old tire rim planted with hens and chicks, and the bleepin' squirrels dug them up. I had them down at the back part of the yard and didn't keep a close eye on them. Anyways, it looked really good when it was thriving, might plant again someday and bring it up closer to the house.

There was a time when many of the houses in this area had tire planters out in their yards. Don't see them much anymore.

I like the idea of using them to contain the aggressive plants like mint, maybe bamboo could work like that too, but one would still probably have to dig down and put a barrier in to contain the roots. I've had that stuff almost take over my garden!

Let us know whattcha do with them. ~tenderlee

• njdjs
    14 years ago

*raises hand* ooo ooo oo pick me,pick me. LOL Went to the dump and found this thing didn't know what it was but I took it home and made bird feeder hangers from it. The base is a tire rim then there is a pole going up the middle and 2 more poles crossed at the top.then hooks at each end of the crossed poles. All is welded together. I hook my feeders to each hook. It was yucky lookin when I got it but because of the sun being so hot here I painted it white. I can tell ya the birds love it.

• nonacook
    14 years ago

I have seen several painted like ladybugs, and keep saying that I want to do that! I can't find a post that still works to show you some of those I have seen. Too long ago I guess.

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

Tenderlee ... that site also makes "pony" swings out of old tires. They are so much neater than the tire hanging by a rope! It's another thought for what to make with old tires. They look like so much fun, if I had a big enough tree I'd be tempted to buy one!

Aren't those birds the prettiest? If someone was handy at painting, I wouldn't think they'd be that hard to make ... well maybe strength wise. lol I heard it isn't so easy turning the tires inside out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pony tire swings

• katishooked
    14 years ago

Some great ideas here. Have seen the birds before and want a couple so bad. Trying to justify. I like the planter suggestions. Painted they would look good in a garden. I was wondering about painting the rims one color and the tires another and using them to set pots on. Could use a block to create different heights in the garden.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!