Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcarch7

Cans to candle holders

I need a few candle holders / lanterns to hang outside.

Don't tell me I am the first one to make these.

So simple to make. 15 minutes.

I may decide to paint them.

dcarch

{{gwi:191841}}

{{gwi:191842}}

Comments (34)

• joannpalmyra
    15 years ago

Those are pretty nifty, dc. How did you cut them?
    ~JoAnn

• justlinda
    15 years ago

Umm, umm, umm.....mighty nice. They would look nice painted, but they're pretty colourful just the way they are. Thanks for posting them.

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

Those are CUTE! Reminds me of the paper lanterns, too :) Great idea with the pop tops for the hangers.
    I've never seen them before,lol! I did see some cans made into votive holders for sale on Etsy. It looked like maybe a 16 oz. vegetable can, spray painted a bright color. Around the middle they had punched holes into it in different designs. Different size holes, round, oval...very nice.
    I like yours better...the color is already on it, and looks way easier to cut. Plus it won't rust!

• nanagrandma
    15 years ago

I luv these, great idea, I am interested in how you snipped and cut them, TOO and I also have never seen before I like them unpainted very colorful!

• katishooked
    15 years ago

These are soooo cute. I love em. Me too, how did you make the nice straight cuts? I wouldn't paint them unless you're going for a color scheme or if eventually these colors fade. They would make good spinners in the garden, which I like. Anything that spins and or sparkles will do.

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Pretty ingenious!

• justlinda
    15 years ago

Ya, spinners!!! Good idea. I'm imagining just twisting the cuts a titch, and voilà , spinners. Think I'm liking that also.

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

This is an awesome idea! What do you want to bet, she filled cans with water, froze them and then used a blade to cut through them? That's what I'd do.

I bet when they are hanging in the garden, people won't even know what they were made from unless they look very closely.

Thanks for sharing!

• jlily
    15 years ago

What a cute idea. Instructions, please. Inquiring minds NEED to know. Thank you for sharing.Jlily

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys.

It's very simple to make. I used a rotary (Dremel) tool with an abrasive cutting wheel to cut. It took a few minutes. I did it free-hand, but you should probably mark the cuts first.

dcarch

BTW, "---------she filled cans with water, ------------------"
    I am a "he"

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Sorry dcarch! Thanks for the correcting me!

Kathy

• todancewithwolves
    15 years ago

Fantastic! I love them.

Edna

• irishdancersgram
    15 years ago

These are wonderful! Years ago, I was at a craft show in N. Ft. Myers and there was a fellow that did alot of this...He had every size can you could think of and after cutting and making the design, he then used a bronze paint of dipped them in something and they were gorgeous...I always looked for the "tin can man" at shows...

• nancyjeanmc
    15 years ago

I like those. I really really like those. I would paint them, but I bet they would look amazing hanging from tree branches. And there's already a "hook" to hang them from!!

If you paint them, can you post again?? I'm thinking black ones might even look as if there are fireflies twinkling about!

• ilene_in_neok
    15 years ago

Yeah, cute! For those of us who are "straight cut challenged", we could cut a cardboard strip to use as a guide, one cut to the next. Wonder what diagonal cuts would look like? I think I'll try using an exacto knife. Those cans are pretty thin, might work.

• nancyjeanmc
    15 years ago

I tried it. Easy to cut (I used a razor blade) but impossible to "crush." I tried to gently pull them out to pull the top down. Tried pushing it down from the top. Nothing worked. Uneven. Even ripped the can. I tried to find an on-line version of this with directions without any luck. Anyone give it a try?

• justlinda
    15 years ago

Yup, I tried with the same results as you. Gotta find me some more pop cans to practice on....lol. Easier said than done, eh?

Original Author
    15 years ago

" ------lol. Easier said than done, eh?"

Are you guys calling me a liar?
    Send me a check for $100.00, and I will show you how. Only if you promise not to tell anyone else. LOL

dcarch

(Instructions later -------------)

• smickerdoodle
    15 years ago

Ok Call me stupid.....but how do you get the candle inside? I love them but am totally stumped...

• nancyjeanmc
    15 years ago

Hi Smickerdoodle,
    I would imagine you could pull it apart a bit to slide a tea light in. (But imagine is all I can do; I give up trying to shape them.)
    Nancy

Original Author
    15 years ago

Some variations.
    Have fun.

dcarch
    {{gwi:191843}}

{{gwi:191844}}

{{gwi:191845}}

{{gwi:191846}}

• justlinda
    15 years ago

Okay, smartypants, now can you please tell us how you do that? I tried again, but..........

Please, please, pretty please ~ do tell us!

• nancyjeanmc
    15 years ago

Just takes practice. I left a fair amount on the top and bottom to help hold the shape. Place the sliced up can on a flat surface. Pushing down from the top, apply even pressure. At the same time, (I used a chop stick) gently pull the sides out. I actually pushed until the top and bottom, lined up perfectly and touched. It "bounces" back into the shape you want.

I wish I had used good scissors; I think the cuts would have been smoother.

I'll try and get one of my boys show me how to post the picture. Would make cool luminaries at Christmas time; then recycle. Nothing to pack up and put away! :)

• justlinda
    15 years ago

Here's my piddly attempt. Seems like the cuts should have been closer together, maybe they should have been longer....ummmmm I just don't know.

{{gwi:191847}}

• nancyjeanmc
    15 years ago

Hey Linda...that looks a lot like mine. I even painted it white! You could cut up a bit higher, but the bottom is good.

I cut further down on the bottom, manipulated a tea light in between the strips and the first problem I encountered was that the bottom is rounded, and the candle kept sliding. I put a drop of hot glue and moved it into position very quickly! (took a couple of tries before I could set it before it dried.) Then the wind kept blowing it out. I'm not sure I could get a small glass holder in there, so the next one is going to be more like yours, Linda. Maybe higher sides would protect the flame. (But I am starting to wonder if it's all worth the effort...)

Nancy

• justlinda
    15 years ago

Nancy
    As you also mentioned, I just noticed that dcarch cuts right up to the "shoulders" on his masterpieces, so I guess I should try that approach. What a sorry specimen I came up with, but hey, nothing ventured -nothing gained. Have to wait until I can scrounge up a couple of empties to practice with.

In the meantime, maybe dcarch will let us in on his secrets, hints, tips and expertise!

Original Author
    15 years ago

Here you go.
    Take a look here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtfybwDkQp8
    Again, the cuts were made with a Dremel tool and an abrasive cutting wheel. Very easy to get good and quick cuts.

dcarch
    {{gwi:191848}}

{{gwi:191849}}

• nancyjeanmc
    15 years ago

Thanks DCarch. (Next can you show us how to post on YouTube? ::~::wink::~::)

Your way of pulling the top, then the bottom makes it much more even. Next problem...How do you keep the flame from blowing out?

Gotta run. My boys need to each drink a soda...for a good cause...

• justlinda
    15 years ago

Now dcarch you make that look easy-peasy, but I think I'll still have to do some practice ones.

p.s. Thanks for posting the solution.

Original Author
    15 years ago

"----How do you keep the flame from blowing out? --"
    A little wind is no problem.

"--My boys need to each drink a soda...for a good cause..."
    You'll notice that I used beer cans. Have your boys drink beer. :-)

dcarch

• nancyjeanmc
    15 years ago

"You'll notice that I used beer cans. Have your boys drink beer. :-)" I did notice the beer cans. Kind of why I assumed you were a he...I know - a bit sexist of me.
    ::~::~::~::~::~::
    :::~::wink::~:::
    ::~::~::~::~::~::

• countrygrl
    15 years ago

Love your candleholders! I just watched your youtube video---how is it that you don't cut your fingers all to bits?!?

Original Author
    15 years ago

"----------I just watched your youtube video---how is it that you don't cut your fingers all to bits?!?"

I used to have 12 fingers :-)

dcarch

{{gwi:191851}}

• TwoMonths
    15 years ago

The ones posted on here last year were cut on the slant...and some were made with 2 cans with the ends hooked together. Instructions were posted but who knows where, lol. Maybe in the FAQ section. Maybe some of the ladies and gentlemen will repost, lol.