Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kim546_gw

Where do you get tiny birds for fairy gardens?

kim546
12 years ago

I've just started collecting items for fairy gardens and growing sedums, succulents, and moss ( squirrels keep burying stuff in moss pots!) I'd like to find inexpensive tiny birds to add when I put them together, but ebay and amazon were expensive. Any ideas? It'll probably be next spring before I can plant.Now I'm attempting totems and plate flowers.(These are new ideas to Sumter,SC)

Comments (16)

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Kim, I got mine at Hobby Lobby in the miniature section. They were resin, unlike the tiny birds at Michaels, so these hold up better outside.
    There was some neat stuff there for Fairy Gardens, at least last year when I was looking.

hugs, karen

• luvs2click
    12 years ago

That's where I get mine also - Hobby Lobby!

• luvs2click
    12 years ago

I forgot to add that I do get my fairies through Enchanted Gardens and they have lots of miniatures available also. Shipping's not too bad and they ship pretty quickly. I've been ordering from them for several years now and it has always been a pleasant experience. Hope it's ok to post the website here. Tiny fairies are so hard to find - I've looked everywhere! Does anyone else have a good source for them? You can guess I use a lot, so I'm always on the look out for different ones.
    Arlene

Here is a link that might be useful: Enchanted Gardens link

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

I saw this great tip somewhere online or on a blog awhile back, wish I'd made note of WHO came
    up with this idea so I could give her credit. Anyway, you can buy these packets of little bug buttons at Michaels. They are PERFECT for little fairy gardens!

{{gwi:192105}}

{{gwi:192106}}

Enjoy, Karen

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

The bug buttons are great Karen! I love the idea of using something in a different way than intended, especially if it is a good deal. I'm pleased to see this post cuz I was trying to think of how to make little birds out of small stones. Actually one small stone with beads geii'd on. Not what I hoped, lol. I think that I will buy a little concrete mold for a bird, and make a bird every time I use mortar mix. That way I will accumulate some. I wish there were bird ice cube trays...

Kathy

• laurastheme
    12 years ago

What about bird candy molds? Do they exist?

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

Confectionary house makes them

Here is a link that might be useful: Bird Candy Molds

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Good find, Pixie. I was just thinking candy molds when I saw Laura beat me to it. ;o) The bird one on pg 3 looks
    perfect. I may end up getting it myself, thank you Enablers. LOL

hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: 3-D birds

• kim546
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone for all the great sources and help. Glad my question got everyone brain storming! Thanks also for letting me part of the group:) Kim ...PS I'm going to take some glass totems and plate flowers to County Fair (Farmers' Market participant invtied me) so I'll try to post pix next week:)

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Bird candy molds do exist. I haven't found one yet that I want to make little concrete birds from. I did find a soap mold but I'm not sure that could handle concrete.
    Kathy

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

Yes the soap molds will do ok with concrete I use them all the time .Have not seen the bird one till now.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

nanatricia, the one I want is a silicone slit mold. do you think it will work for concrete? It is expensive, but when you figure I would have to pay $8 to $12 each for a little concrete bird, then I would get my money's worth in 3 or 4 castings.

The seller has 10 of them on Ebay. This is my favorite that I have seen.

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Bird mold on ebay

• luvs2click
    12 years ago

BTW the tiny little birds from Hobby Lobby come about 12 in a pkg. for ?? 2.99?? something like that. I usually stock up when they have their miniatures at half price so they're even cheaper.

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

Gosh I do not know about silicone.Look at some of the mold sites and see what the molds are made of .I do remember on the http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/hypertufa/ that some used hyp mix in them and made molds for cement.

• DoBeMe
    12 years ago

Two Green Thumbs has had them before. If they are not on her site, she can get some of the small, resin ones for you in all different kinds of birds. Her webstore is http://www.shop.twogreenthumbs.com - she's got a bunch of really different things in the store.

Oh, and she used to put those buttons on little sticks as garden stakes, that's what reminded me of them.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

I just did an ebay search for miniature birds.
    Then I sorted for Lowest price + shipping

7 for $3. Some are porcelaine. Maybe this is more than you want to pay, but you never know what will turn up on ebay. Further down in this search is a rather inexpensive collection of mini glass animals.

Have fun
    Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Ebay birds

Sponsored