Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where do you get tiny birds for fairy gardens?

Posted by kim546 none (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 22, 11 at 21:20

I've just started collecting items for fairy gardens and growing sedums, succulents, and moss ( squirrels keep burying stuff in moss pots!) I'd like to find inexpensive tiny birds to add when I put them together, but ebay and amazon were expensive. Any ideas? It'll probably be next spring before I can plant.Now I'm attempting totems and plate flowers.(These are new ideas to Sumter,SC)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where do you get tiny birds for fairy gardens?

Kim, I got mine at Hobby Lobby in the miniature section. They were resin, unlike the tiny birds at Michaels, so these hold up better outside.
There was some neat stuff there for Fairy Gardens, at least last year when I was looking.

hugs, karen

o

That's where I get mine also - Hobby Lobby!

o
RE: Where you get tiny birds for fairy gardens?

I forgot to add that I do get my fairies through Enchanted Gardens and they have lots of miniatures available also. Shipping's not too bad and they ship pretty quickly. I've been ordering from them for several years now and it has always been a pleasant experience. Hope it's ok to post the website here. Tiny fairies are so hard to find - I've looked everywhere! Does anyone else have a good source for them? You can guess I use a lot, so I'm always on the look out for different ones.
Arlene

Here is a link that might be useful: Enchanted Gardens link

o

I saw this great tip somewhere online or on a blog awhile back, wish I'd made note of WHO came
up with this idea so I could give her credit. Anyway, you can buy these packets of little bug buttons at Michaels. They are PERFECT for little fairy gardens!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Enjoy, Karen

o

The bug buttons are great Karen! I love the idea of using something in a different way than intended, especially if it is a good deal. I'm pleased to see this post cuz I was trying to think of how to make little birds out of small stones. Actually one small stone with beads geii'd on. Not what I hoped, lol. I think that I will buy a little concrete mold for a bird, and make a bird every time I use mortar mix. That way I will accumulate some. I wish there were bird ice cube trays...

Kathy

o

What about bird candy molds? Do they exist?

o

Confectionary house makes them

Here is a link that might be useful: Bird Candy Molds

o

Good find, Pixie. I was just thinking candy molds when I saw Laura beat me to it. ;o) The bird one on pg 3 looks
perfect. I may end up getting it myself, thank you Enablers. LOL

hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: 3-D birds

o

Thank you everyone for all the great sources and help. Glad my question got everyone brain storming! Thanks also for letting me part of the group:) Kim ...PS I'm going to take some glass totems and plate flowers to County Fair (Farmers' Market participant invtied me) so I'll try to post pix next week:)

o

Bird candy molds do exist. I haven't found one yet that I want to make little concrete birds from. I did find a soap mold but I'm not sure that could handle concrete.
Kathy

o

Yes the soap molds will do ok with concrete I use them all the time .Have not seen the bird one till now.

o

nanatricia, the one I want is a silicone slit mold. do you think it will work for concrete? It is expensive, but when you figure I would have to pay $8 to $12 each for a little concrete bird, then I would get my money's worth in 3 or 4 castings.

The seller has 10 of them on Ebay. This is my favorite that I have seen.

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Bird mold on ebay

o

BTW the tiny little birds from Hobby Lobby come about 12 in a pkg. for ?? 2.99?? something like that. I usually stock up when they have their miniatures at half price so they're even cheaper.

o

Gosh I do not know about silicone.Look at some of the mold sites and see what the molds are made of .I do remember on the http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/hypertufa/ that some used hyp mix in them and made molds for cement.

o

Two Green Thumbs has had them before. If they are not on her site, she can get some of the small, resin ones for you in all different kinds of birds. Her webstore is http://www.shop.twogreenthumbs.com - she's got a bunch of really different things in the store.

Oh, and she used to put those buttons on little sticks as garden stakes, that's what reminded me of them.

o

I just did an ebay search for miniature birds.
Then I sorted for Lowest price + shipping

7 for $3. Some are porcelaine. Maybe this is more than you want to pay, but you never know what will turn up on ebay. Further down in this search is a rather inexpensive collection of mini glass animals.

Have fun
Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Ebay birds

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here