Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pixie_lou

New Here - Meet My Family

pixie_lou
12 years ago

I don't even know how I stumbled upon the Garden Junk forum, but somehow I did and I've been very inspired by all of your projects. At the same time, I was quite disappointed to find out that I had not invented Terra Cotta people.

I have a 6 year old daughter and we are in the process of creating a whimsy garden for her. We have the terra cotta family, a flowering teepee, moss steps and a fallen tree planter. So far.

I thought I would share my Terra Cotta famiy. Terra Cotta man is still a work in progress so I haven't glued him together yet or given him his pumpkin face. Even though I have been quite inspired by the other elaborate terra cotta people I have seen on this forum, I like mine how they are.

FWIW - nothing was purchased to make these people. Enjoy!

{{gwi:192179}}

Comments (10)

• luvidaho_2010
    12 years ago

Your family is so cute! Very creative. I hope to create a garden with my granddaughter, I have several ideas for projects with her. I will have to wait for her to get a little bigger-she is only 8 months old right now.

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Very cute! I love the colored "skirts" on the ladies!! I think a coat hanger twisted would make some arms as I really think the little girl should hold something in her hands! Your 6 yr old can decide what, flowers or a little rake or shovel etc. A small watering can that she painted a pic on & you sealed with some clear spray might work too. Have fun with your project! They get so excited about things like this when young. Enjoy every minute!! My 6 yr old is now almost 42, she was Halloween baby!!She & kids had a fun garden this year so pass it on to your kids, too! Jan

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Sweet!
    Have fun.
    Kathy
    ps WELCOME to the forum!

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

Welcome.....your little family is adorable! I agree some "arma" would be the finishing touch. Hope to see more of your creations soon.

• laurastheme
    12 years ago

What a cute little family! Love 'em!

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Welcome Pixie, you'll really enjoy the gang here and all the neat stuff. It would seem you've already posted your own too. Very cute TC family.

hugs, Karen

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

So cute !!! Welcome to the GJ !!

• kylslil1
    12 years ago

so cute! i love pot people...and i've been wanting to make some for a long long time. i agree with the others about the arms, but i loooove the skirts on them. especially the yellow one, i love the shape on that one. welcome!

erin

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks every one for the warm welcome.

kylslil1 - The yellow skirt was some type of decorative pot. I think it is supposed to look like a tulip.

sunnyca - your comment reminds me of Picasso and the Sylvette sculpture - Sylvette needed something to hold in her hand.

I did think that arms would look nice, but I couldn't quite figure out how I wanted to attach them. I like the hangar idea. That'll give me some incentive to get the clothes to the dry cleaner - so I can get some wire hangars! I'll see what I come up with.

I spent the day today mulching that whole area. You can no longer see the pallet pieces that the family is standing on - it's all mulched with wood chips.

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Welcome to the forum Pixie! Glad you joined in. Your terra cotta family is just sweet and your idea of a whimsy garden is just wonderful. I hope you'll show us your creations as you go along!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting