Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to repair broken cement swans

Posted by frankielynn 7b (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 22, 12 at 22:18

Today I got 2 very large cement swan planters. They both have broken necks with chunks of missing cement. The rebar is showing. I have been researching how to repair them but wondered if anyone here has ever rebuilt missing parts of a cement statue with good results. I have read about using bondo, epoxy putty and portland cement. I can't wait to get them fixed and put out in my yard. They are very graceful looking. I thought I would also fill any other cracks and re-paint. Any insight on the best method would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to repair broken cement swans

I'm no expert, but have repaired a few concrete yard animals. Any construction adhesive should work. It helps to drill holes in the 2 pieces with a masonry drill bit and put some sort of dowel where you can. The holes don't have to match up perfectly. Drill them a little larger than the dowel. It just adds a little more strength with less chance of it snapping off again. Clean off any adhesive on the outside before it dries. Some of that stuff is not paintable. Fill the holes and cracks with any material that will hold up outside that can be painted. Use exterior primer and paint. It should hold up just like it does on your house. If you paint them dark first, then dry brush a lighter color over it, the dark paint left in the low points can mask some damage. Hope that helps. Linda

o

I have a cement deer in my yard and the ear fell off. I glued it back on with E-6000 and it's held up for years .

o

Thanks for the info. Did you use dowels in the sections that had missing chunks and had to be remade out of bondo or cement?

o

Be sure to post a pic when you are done. They sound great!
Kathy

o

I was lucky that the broken off ear fit perfectly in the break. If I had to fill in a chunk, I think I'd use grout to fill it in , then seal it. Some grout has acrylic polymer added for strength , it works really good.
Good Luck !

o

I had a guy powerwash and when he went to put stuff back...he did this...grrrrr!

Here is a link that might be useful: Broken wings

o

I have use Bondo successfully for many repairs. I recently repaired several "mistakes" on a few cement cast. Sometimes I hide the repairs sometimes not (kintsugui - but I have no gold) On these recent repairs I simply use Portland and water mixed with PVA (Elmer's white glue). Mix about a 1/4 teaspoon to a cup of water +/-. Be sure to wet the surface you are repairing with the same water/PVA mix before applying the patch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Repair - it broke coming out of the mold

o

Robert, the link did not work.

o

Drat! I hate it when that happens. Thanks for the heads up. This is the picture of the repair I mentioned. This vase came out of the mold in several pieces.‎ Although broken pieces can be mortared together and artfully concealed in this instance I wanted the repair to be boldly apparent. So after sanding off the white slurry I removed some of the mortar along the cracks and refilled them with a mix of white Portland cement and a bit of yellow craft paint.

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here