Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aquawise

Mail Box transformation

aquawise
13 years ago

OK! I have two mail Boxes that I would like to convert. I need some ideas. PLEASE!

Comments (11)

• tasymo
    13 years ago

Are they the tunnel shaped style? I've seen them used as storage bins for things like dog or cat food, standing on end with the opening on the top. Or do you mean you want to decorate them, but still use them for mail boxes? Lots of Folks paint them bright colors and use them to store gardening gloves and tools near their potting benches.

• aquawise
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I would like to use them in my garden. No need for a box here. Only 300 people in our little town.

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

If you can paint at all you could put sunflowers or daisies or a beach or farm scene, I saw 1 at TS yesterday that was painted on every surface including the bottom in a light peachy-pink with flowers of various sizes all over. You could paint garden tools on it & use it for that,paint a hat & gloves with flowers on the hat,could mosaic it with stones or shells,make it red,white & blue for Americana look. just paint 1 color & makes dots with a round sponge in couple of colors. Jan

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

I have seen them decoupaged and mosaiced. Used for planters and for storing gardening tools in remote areas of the garden.

• susiewantsroses
    13 years ago

I would paint it up to look like one of those old camper trailers (Airstream) from the 50's. Put wheels on it even if you put it on a post. Glue objects to it with GE silicone II clear exterior caulk if you want it to have a more 3 D effect.

• timbuck2
    13 years ago

I've been looking for an old standard metal mailbox. I'm hoping to cut it in half and close the cut end with wood for a birdhouse. Leaving the original door intact for a clean out should work fine. Plenty of drilled vent holes will be needed though.

• Deb Kozuszek
    13 years ago

Here is one that I mosaiced
    {{gwi:153387}}

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

gmadeb, that is gorgeous! Do you use it as a real mailbox? I thought of doing the same to mine but wasn't sure if the mail carrier would be upset or not.

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Beautiful gmadeb! So delicate with all the lovely roses & the plates "reconstructed on the side" really lovely!! Your mailperson should enjoy delivering mail to a box like that!!I'm sure you would secure it well so it would be beautiful, secure & a treat after all those boring boxes with rust, falling off posts etc. A work of art to be enjoyed on the route! Only thing to worry about would be theft so hope it would be in pretty safe location.Might bolt a heavy chain on bottom & welded or going through post to help keep it in place. Jan

• Deb Kozuszek
    13 years ago

Thanks ! I don't use it as a mailbox, it could be put on a post and set in the garden. This one is setting on a little mosaiced table in my craft area. I can't open it.

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

I like the idea of storing things in remote parts of the garden. Love the mosaic one. Is all over metal safe for bird houses? Heatingupwise?
    Kathy