Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mattbgrays

oops -- removed bottom of wine barrel

Matthew Grayson
10 years ago

I removed the bottom of a half wine barrel today and ignored the little voice in my head that said the bottom might be holding the whole thing together.

Well, now I have about 30 pieces of a half wine barrel.

Is there any easy way to get this thing back together? I saw videos of people assembling them upside down, but the pieces don't like to stay together while I'm assembling.

Unfortunately, any solution that takes more than an hour or two is really not worth it, since the thing was $30.

Plan B: Any creative uses for the pieces from a wine barrel?

Thank you thank you,
Matt

Comments (10)

• jlily
    10 years ago

I have NO solution to your problem. No uses for the pieces, either. BUT I have learned NOT to take off the bottom of a half wine barrel. I'm sure someone here will be more help than I am. JLily

• cnm1
    10 years ago

Use the bottom as the center and the attach the sides pieces around it to make a rustic flower. If there are 2 metal bands, they would make rustic sphere set in the garden

• Matthew Grayson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I should mention that I have a fairly modern patio/garden. Well, I will....it is being built soon.
    I was thinking I could use the wood slats as the wall of a raised bed (screwed to two horizontal pieces). I like the flower idea though. It might make for a casual seating area or perhaps as a sort of mulch/standing/harvest area under some fruit trees. Thanks!

• cnm1
    10 years ago

If you paint the flower - it could given a more finished look for a modern patio. Though I think mixing rustic and modern can look good, warms it up a bit

• bulldinkie
    10 years ago

I had a starling think our one barrel was a bird house,he pecked cork out went in the hole

• unbiddenn
    10 years ago

I went outside and took a look at my barrel, just to imagine what i would do with all those sticks. I would use an old ugly plastic pot, cut the bottom out and bury it in the dirt, then fill it with soil and 'plant' the sticks in it all around the edge to ..kinda... Form the same shape as the barrel originally was. I would intentionally leave spaces between some of the sticks, leave some crooked even. I would line it first with chicken wire, then moss and dirt, like a topiary. I would top it with an upside down tomato cage and do the same to it.
    It may be necessary to wire it tight to shape. And it would certainly be labor intensive to make, but imagine it planted with a sedum, or several different types of sedums hardy to your zone, or whatever succulants are. Plants tucked into the spaces between the sticks.

• unbiddenn
    10 years ago

Like this

• Matthew Grayson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nice idea!

• annedickinson
    10 years ago

wow.. great idea. I love succulants and this is a wonderful way to use them. (and the fallen apart barrel)

• nancyjane_gardener
    10 years ago

You can also look up images for uses for wine barrels. There are chairs, bars, art, planters....OR you can send all of the parts to me! LOL Nancy

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals