Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beck_wi

Between the ball and the globs

beck_wi
14 years ago

A few times over the years here I've posted that I cover my BB's with foil before I glue on the glass globs.

I finally have pictures of this,

{{gwi:192370}}

{{gwi:192371}}

and it made me wonder what else can be used.

I saw the post of someone using candy wrappers (I'm so bad about remembering who it is to give credit) and I love this idea. (i'm seeing red globs over peanut butter cup wrappers, aka, an excuse to eat a bag of peanut butter cups :D)

I've painted one, and the recipient says the paint is holding up, but there has to be other stuff.

So, what do you guys use? I thought about copper foil but I can't find any.

(btw, after a few days of curing, this ball will be a jack-o-lantern. I've wanted to do this FOREVER and have finally gotten around to it)

excuse my leg and my dog in the pics. lol

Comments (9)

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

The jack o lantern should be very cool! I haven't mosaiced with glass globs yet. When I mosaiced by bowling ball, I scored it first and used tile adhesive which is very gooey and sticky. I have heard of other people painting their BB first too which I would think would give the adhesive something to latch onto. Be sure to post a picture of your BB when it's done!

• textilejo
    14 years ago

This is a buoy ball that I made into a pumpkin a few years back. Everything is glued on and was fast to make. It has since turned into a gold glitter ball:-)

{{gwi:192372}}

• leveta
    14 years ago

What so you use to hold the foil on? Thanks...

• beck_wi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just use the same GEII that I use on the marbles. I tear the foil into squares that are roughly 4" and I put a bead of silicone around the edge of the dull side, and then do a squiggly line of it in the middle.
    I overlap the edges a bit, so water doesn't get under the foil.
    The ONLY time the foil has ever come off one of my balls is when some teenagers rolled it down the block.
    I've made over a dozen balls this way. Once I made my own eeeeverybody wanted one.
    One even has a bolt epoxied in the finger hole and is chained down, because I had one stolen once.
    I love your pumpkin jo, he has a lot of character.

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Sorry I posted in the other post didn't see this. Do you leave it out allwinter? I figure if it works for you in zone 4 it will work for me in zone 5.
    tia
    kathy

• beck_wi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I leave my balls out and have never had a problem. Some recommend making sure the holes are facing down because if water gets in them, it will crack the ball when it freezes but I've never had an issue with water.

• flower2sew
    14 years ago

cool! You mentioned Copper Foil. I did get some thin Copper in a roll at Hobby Lobby. I haven't used it yet but thought I would cut in small pieces and glue it on.

Dawn

• nanatricia
    14 years ago

You can use foil tape to cover it with You can get it at big stores It has sticky tape on it and you would not have to use the glue .I have used it on alot of mosaics.I also use it to back of half marbles .Just make shure when you buy that it is silver on both sides because there is one that is white .
    I have used candie wrappers.I make every one save them for me.i do not like cheap cholate but they have some pretty wrappers.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:192369}}

• beck_wi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Is the copper foil as thin as aluminum foil?? my concern would be that it would be harder to form it to the ball's curves.

I may have to go searching the candy aisle for some orange wrappers for my pumpkin.
    I love the idea of doubling up on the color... I have orange marbles, but it would add a ton of color to have orange wrappers beneath.

I have some foil tape.. but my concern with the it is that the adhesive will let go since I don't grout my balls.

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions