Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardnpondr

Anybody on here from say 10 years ago?

gardnpondr
10 years ago

looking for someone because I lost touch with them and would love to find them again. Her name was Charlene but her name on here was luvsroses. She moved to another garden junk forum when Spike was over this one many moons ago now. I can't remember the link to that one and was just trying to find her. If you know of who I am referring to and can help me get back in touch with her it would be very nice. email addy is rose4843 at yahoo dot com.

Comments (79)

• concretenprimroses
    10 years ago

I loved the copper lizard ball. thanks for the reminder!
    Kathy

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    10 years ago

Lots of old friends checking in here. I go back more than 10 years. I moved on from collecting junk to posessing those same treasures. I am about to take down my bottle tree.

Every full moon I think about you all. --Nell Jean

Here is a link that might be useful: Dotty Plants Journal

This post was edited by foxesearth on Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 16:42

• sophiemae
    10 years ago

WoW! This is so great! So many wondermous memories! :) I keep hoping to dig up chaos_quilt's address while I'm spring cleaning here. She's such a sweetheart... and SO very talented!

Seeing all these names again put a huge smile on my face that'll last me all day! :D

• gardnpondr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yep I am Rose from Hattiesburg and yep I was at the goldfish pond forum. :-) Sure miss the old friends on there to! Yep Charlenes name was LuvsRoses. She was to have surgery and didn't hear from her anymore and that's been years ago. I think of her quite often and couldn't get in touch with her. Having a lot of memory problems now so I couldn't remember the site she was on but it WAS MSN garden junk.
    HEYYYYY Punky! HUGS!!!

WOW it's sooo nice to see some of the older members on here. Been a long time. I'd forgotten I even posted this question. Came on here trying to find some canning info and found this. lol what a treat! :-)

• Shades_of_idaho
    10 years ago

I was here 10 years ago and them some. I remember you Mamabear and hope you are recovered from your horrific accident. And Clamity, Klinger, Nona. Wasn't it you Nona with the toilet tank garden? And Wendy. Wonder where she is. We sure did have a good time back then.

I remember a lot of use went off to another site because of Spike and so many rules. Now I do not even remember them. I think that site dissolved. Not sure. I got sick lost touch. Then moved another time or two. And of course the junk moved with me.

I am still junking. I think once it is in your blood it stays. Even kind of turned hubby around. Was trying to think of a good out door kitty perch for their out side part of the kennel. Came up with tall step ladder. Not willing to give up MINE he said we need to look for one at the dump. Woo Hoo. Shopping spree.

I dropped in looking up another person that used to post here. I do not know her but came across her yard pictures and spent way too much time gawking at all her fun things. Any one heard from Cindee?

Added a pic of a tippy bucket fountain inspired by Cindee's pictures. Too cold here to do the water part and plant the buckets. We are still in the 20's in the mornings. The arch is satellite fins and I added two lights to the top of the T-posts and I think I will paint t all when the weather permits.

chris

This post was edited by shades_of_idaho on Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 1:12

• nonacook
    10 years ago

I do have toilets in the garden, but was not the original one that had what you were talking about, Shades.
    I have been having problems with code enforcement just lately, and have been moving things around and up-dating.Someone called in a complaint
    I have NO LIVE PLANTS to amount to anything due to our freezing weather. And things don't look the same without the plants to go with it.

• Shades_of_idaho
    10 years ago

I think some people just do not have the vision we do. :^) I remember there were several upset neighbors and husbands.

The bucket fountain is just the corner of a new patio arrangement. Had to re-arrange the kitty kennel due to a new heat pump. Well we all know one thing can lead to another. The patio is in except for 8 more pavers which I need to buy. There is a small narrow flower bed on two sides fo the patio. I planted it with plants I plucked from other areas of our yard. Will add a few pansies or?? for color.

People are kind of ok with what I have around our yard. There are no ordinances against anything I have done so there is no way they can make me change anything. I saved the mosaic toilets for inside the house. LOL This is such a tiny town I am known as the crazy one and people leave me alone. My new patio is behind the house so unless some one was snooping in my yard it can not be seen from the street.

• sophiemae
    10 years ago

Y'all need to come live by me. I'm in a national forest, so I could fill front, back and side yards with toilets and nobody would even see, much less complain. LOL!

• desiderata
    10 years ago

wow...this is amazing..I came into garden web..looking specifically for garden junk...
    not sure of who will and won't remember me..but I"m the one who met jeaninwa and I"m Becky....lol
    we've maintained a friendship, since about 2002...we shared a junktrain box, and sent it on, with a mess of photos...she moved to Colorado and just last night, I was talking on phone with her, about the hopeful possibility of her actually moving back to washington, and now, here you all are...OMG..I could have about fainted, when I saw this post...I"ll call her in a few minutes for the head's up....smiles
    my name was desiderata, and with complications, with rules of spike, I changed it to seaglassic
    but my real name, is strawberrygoat...all one and the same..i'd long ago forgotten my password, so they told me I had been logging in under desiderata...

anyway, if we all can reconnect and get garden junk back on it's feet, you have no idea how awesome that'd be
    i've gone to court, to defend my junk...nearly got fined $100 per day, up to $500 a day, there after..for continued $500,. till it was cleared..but I stood my ground....and eventually, article one of county requirements was revised for the county I live in....Hats off to Garden Junk..cuz I took a folder of no less than 100 pages of photos, I printed and some were from garden junkers, in my defense....lol
    piled that heap on the desk of county officials
    and said..give it your best shot...I refuse to throw it away..I gathered it, I carried and I placed it in my yard
    it's not toxic or environmentally dangerous
    ..and I"m back.....)))

strawberrygoat.. ...âÂÂ¥

• Shades_of_idaho
    10 years ago

Yes I do remember you strawberrygoat and your fight with the officials. I think many of us sent letters in your support to show them the wonderful things we all create with our presumed junk.

It is very interesting so many of us suddenly popped in for different reasons. I see this thread is several months long.

I came back over a year ago as I had just retired and was making big plans to play with my garden junk again and then my husband was diagnosed with pancreas cancer. Well that was the end of play time for me. It has been a long year and thankfully my husband is doing well after a massive surgery last August. He is finally recovering from this surgery. And so far his CT scans are clear of cancer. He still can not do much of anything around here so it is all on me. BUT I do take some ME time to play with the junk. He told me this AM he thought the new patio looked good.

There was a post on FB with Clamities mosaic and then the Cindee's tippy buckets and following her photo bucket pictures I just was betting she would be here. But it looks like it has been a few years since she has posted. She had many wonderful junk things in her yard.

• nonacook
    10 years ago

I remember when Strawberry goat ( and also your other name) had problems and thought about you when I was served. I had a nice guy tho, and he was not really concerned with my garden area as much as the things I had just taken out of a couple of storage areas and had it 'covered with a tarp' in the back yards, and the things I had on the porches of my buildings. Things that were being 'worked on" but because of the rain and cold had not been put back away.
    He did say I needed to 'fix' the garden area some but it was not in the paperwork. Maybe if they got another call he said. I passed that inspection.and I am now working on the 88 foot by 135 foot garden area.....Putting up wooden fence panels to 'hide' my excess.
    Going to have each of those panels with different things attached. I have enough hand saws for a circle.
    One panel will have hubcap flowers and stems.
    Another will have the glass table top with the center hole covered by a plate flower
    If the plants EVER recover from the freeze, it will look a lot better.
    I am NOT going to cover the entire chain link fence, because I want to SHOW OFF all the things
    Who ever complained will just have to live with boat, the bathtub, wheel barrows and the large hayrake and plows.
    Just last week, I was pulling weeds at the stop sign corner, and 3 people rolled their windows down and told me how much they liked my garden, hoped that the winter was not too rough. I have new neighbors across my street---A gas station, and an electrical contractor. The highway at the front is a US highway.

Shades, I got behind in the garden when my DH had several years of cancer.
    I am so glad that your DH is doing well and is cancer free.

I had so much support from this forum while Bill was sick and so many of you signed the guest book when he died. I have never forgotten all of that, and never will.
    THANKS

• hengal
    10 years ago

My goodness! So many names from the past! I've been here since I believe 2005 (this and winter sowing), just didn't post all that much. Over the years I have collected a barn full of "barn junk" that I need ideas for. I'll be sure to get back on here and post some pics for some help. I've always felt so at home here. :)

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

Nona your projects sound great. We had a house on the corner when I first started here at GJ and remember drive by's stopping to visit about the crazy stuff I was doing in the yard. Fortunately here as long as the lawn is mowed and no piles of junk around I am good. And works in progress are just that. The back patio was a wreck for about a month. I needed to get the kennel back together and that was the worst of the mess. Those 10 by 6 foot chain link panels are heavy. Having to do it all by myself took me time. And the ground was frozen solid. I had to chisel /crowbar to get the panels in place. Still need to level it some now the ground has thawed.

Joe is doing well. We never know when this will come back. There is only 5% that do not have it come back. Hoping and praying he is within that 5%. He will be 74 this month. I was so far behind on things around here last year. Overwhelmed and I am sure you know how that goes. I am better able to keep up now. Joe was a total invalid for about 4 months after his surgery and I had to be with him always unless he was sleeping. Then his getting used to his new plumbing from the tumor removal created lots more laundry and what not. so we are past that now and he has gained his weight back which is a good thing.

We are going to have company next week if he can get away. Another miracle person having gotten a clean bill of health from Hep C. This is a very hard thing to cure too. Some thing he got in the service. And another dear friend survived a 200 foot drop down a cliff in a CAT last summer and one more friend had HUGE open chest surgery for torn aorta and was life flighted from Idaho to Texas to get this specialized surgery to save him. So we all have been blessed with four miracles in the last 8 months. We are a close nit group and to have so many so severely ill all recovering. Praise the Lord.

• mla2ofus
    9 years ago

I was here back then but didn't post a lot. I recognize a lot of names and remember all the neat things that were made. I still have most of my 'original' junk and have added more, of course! It's good to see so many are still checking in.

• coloradojunker
    9 years ago

Punky here again! Just checking in........all is well. Iam still on Etsy..ItseeBitsee @etsy.com Not much time to garden junk........with all the garden...flowers and veggies...but...still have BB from years.......and garden totems........Miss you all.....We were something to reckon with in this world!!! Garden junkers.we even had tee shirts!!! We need a reunion of sorts............meet me over at gardenjunk.org Lets do this!!!! Still like this site too though........

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

Another old post I just thought about we had a riot with was some thing like dirty knees and???? Bras?? I forget the second part. Hi Punky. I do remember you from back then.

I found this one picture of my Frog Chicken for the Blue Moon celebration. The date on the picture is 7-31-04. I am not sure if this was the Blue moon date or another date when I saved the picture. I googled it and it was July 31,2004. What a fun night that was. I am also not sure of the frog and statue. It meant some thing to us. LOL

• craft4fun
    9 years ago

First time back here in years. I did not post much but loved everyone here.

• laurastheme
    9 years ago

Punky, I went to gardenjunk.org. Also went to your etsy shop. Glad you posted both these on here. I was reprimanded some time ago for posting my blog address and it has my etsy shop on it. It was considered advertising. So here's my garden junk etsy shop. Hope I don't get in trouble this time. etsy.com/RecycleRoom.

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

Laurastheme I would guess if no one goes looking for that rule you should be fine. I know I am not going to. Except I just tried your link and it is not working. Is there some more to it? :^(

• laurastheme
    9 years ago

Sorry. I should have been etsy.com/shop/RecycleRoom

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

Laurastheme your plate flowers are Gorgeous.

• emtnest
    9 years ago

Well hello there old friends!!! Good to see so many. We do still gardenjunk.org open. My son manages it...I guess we keep it open because of all of the albums with all of those photos of garden junk. Not many venture over there these days with face book and all. I got so much into glass that I rather let garden junking go by the wayside. I also enjoy painting, watercolor and oil. We have my daughter and three grands living with us so my plate is pretty full. I have kept in touch with Lady Helen, Marti, Calamity and many more whom are on face book. I've even been to Montreal to visit Lady Helen and she's been to Cali to visit me. Same with Marti but she's not so far away. Anyway good to see you all here. Cheers

• mtmermaid
    9 years ago

Wow! What a blast from the past! hugs to all, so nice to see so many friendly faces! I just stopped in to see if I could find the claw foot bathtub water garden that I remember ~ the one with FERN (the mannequin) and the rooster patio. I remember them vividly but am having a bit of a problem remembering who posted them.

Many changes in my life over the years (suffered a stroke, lost my husband to colon cancer, moved off the farm, etc) but I always remember the CAMARADERIE we all shared and the junk train and so many more fond memories!

I pray you all have a fun safe summer!
    dodi

• deborah1175
    9 years ago

I found a post from back in '06 and one where I put a metal headboard and footboard on top of each other to make a trellis. I remember the copper lizard bowling ball and the birth of glass totems. Miss all the great ideas from back them.

• caroline94535
    9 years ago

I'm 99.999% lurker, but I've followed this forum since its inception. It spun off another forum, but I can't remember which one.

I remember posting when Spike asked us to come up with ideas for the logo of the flamingo, tire, etc.

I see lots of "old" names and love all the ideas. Now that I'm trying to fill the front yard garden, I must lurk more.

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

Always fun to connect with the old group and new timers too. I remember we all loved to share out addiction. LOL

I am re-working a flower bed along the length of this house. 60 foot less the cement stair up to the side door.

Dropped in today hoping to get some good ideas for additions to the new flower bed. I have a brigade of planted canning kettles. that might make that line up. I am not happy with where they are now. I have three small trellises with solar lights on them for some path way lighting.

So off to read through the new posts to dig for ideas.

chris

• yacheryl
    9 years ago

So glad so many of you are checking in.
    I have to laugh when someone thought Wylee was a male.
    She was a female ! She just love Wile E. Coyote from The Roadrunner cartoon.
    She was a stay at home mom who love the darker side of art with her nail head bowling balls and her grotto heads.
    ..........Cheryl

• pollyagain
    9 years ago

Hi all! soo many names I remember, I had such a good time on Garden Junk! Can't remember my name . I've moved but exdh brings me stuff. These were my 'butt lights'' , lamp parts wired to low voltage, now they just have solar lights. The covers were glued with ge silcone 2 and they are still glued! waves everyone!

• nonacook
    9 years ago

Glad you are here again, Polly.
    I don't come as often as I used to...

The last time I googled wylee's Grotes they were still jumping up and down!

• jayceca
    9 years ago

Wow, I just found this site in my fav. list that I am clearing out. Thought I would come and see if you were still all here. Good to see a lot of you are. I will be coming in more often now and posting photos of some of my garden art.

• cranethie
    9 years ago

And there I was thinking GJ was just a figment of my imagination from the dim past - I asked Mr G for information on something and GW popped up so I had to look and see if GJ still existed.
    All those names are ringing bells - I remember the bra fluff post that had us in stitches for what seemed like weeks - tea cup lights and planted chairs made their way into my garden (that was as much as my husband could cope with lol) and I tried to make the faces on trees but they kept falling off!
    There was one person who had a garage? shed? that looked fabulous all painted with flowers, does anyone know who that was? And what was the name of the girl who put all those albums together - she had a way with words and then just disappeared overnight
    Nice to meet you all again - I'm sure I'll be back.
    Cathy

• nonacook
    9 years ago

Cathy, her name was purplemoon, and she went to the Holiday site on 'that home site' section of the forum.
    I have not been here or on that forum very much lately--
    I need to check out that site too!
    I can't remember the name she posted the albums under--
    something like sangaree????

• Purplemoon
    9 years ago

I heard my name mentioned....LOL. It was fun reading all the posts and recognizing some of the old gang. I pretty much stopped making things for my yard, and the 6 months of HOT in Phoenix don't make being outside much fun.

The Inspiration Albums I put together for us are still there on Photobucket, around a 1000 pictures in all. Here's the link and I'll do a new post also with it in case some folks don't read this thread. There are 19 SUB albums once you open the main page, so makes it easy to find what you are looking for. Enjoy!

Thanks Nona, you have a GOOD memory :o)
    Yes, its sangaree. (that was famous Southern plantation, after Tara. LOL. A book and movie were done on Sangaree in the 50's. Since I was born in the South, I used that name on my show dogs way back when.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Junk Inspiration Albums

• wantoretire_did
    9 years ago

Hi there - I've been here more than 10 years. Joined when I lived in So.Cal. then moved to upstate NY in 2003. Marble covered bowling balls were popular then. I made two of them and some marbled vases with mini lights inside. I remember the lizard covered bowling ball :-) I need to get back into the groove!

• nmgirl
    9 years ago

I used to hang out here a lot, we lived in Virginia then. I was the Junk Train conductor twice, anyone remember doing that? How about JT, anyone remember her? She's still with me. Campbell is here too.
    We move back to New Mexico almost 6 years ago. Smaller yard, thrift stores aren't as good here, got busy doing other stuff and haven't been junking like I used to.
    I did pick up a big plastic beetle the other day, I'm going to use it along with a lonely bowling ball to make a giant dung beetle for the garden. It's a must do.

• nonacook
    9 years ago

nonacook

This may be goodbye for me......I haven't been able to figure out anything on Houzz!
    I ALWAYS thought that GW was the most easy forum OF ALL to use,Even when Spike had it.
    If I had not found this post, I probably could not have posted at all.
    If they had step by step instructions on how to use it, It would help....If they do I haven't found it.
    I will probably go and look for GARDENJUNK.ORG and see it they are still there.
    Several of my favorite sites have gone....Another one was holiday crafts on HGTV .
    Some of the other sites have gone to less crafts and more conversation....
    Thanks for all the good years, and for the memories on this post.-- and all the fun we have had on this junk site...I say that with tears in my eyes.....Love, prayers, and best wishes to all of you .I will still try to find my way around for a couple of days......But I am at a loss..

• craft4fun
    9 years ago

Nice to see everyone again. I did not post much but loved following everyone. I'm with nonacook ..... I can't figure out the new sites.

• Emily H
    9 years ago

Hi Nona, What are you having a hard time with? Posting new threads or comments? Finding your favorite stuff? Would love some details to help you!

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    9 years ago

I think a sure way to discourage members of a group is to make sweeping changes, starting with the size and color of the type. Many of us who were on Garden Web some years ago do not see as well as we used to and pale grey and light green type and teeny headings are just discouraging. That complaint is aside from having to go here, go there to find a particular forum.

If I were not already somewhat familiar with HOUZZ, I would be completely lost here.

• gardnpondr
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yes Nona I agree it is hard to do. Don't know why they change the layout and stuff. :( I liked to never got it to except me. I worked with it for 2 days and emailing them and everything. In the summertime mostly I am on the canning forum on here now. But didn't even find it when I went to looking for it. For some reason it's not emailing me when someone posts on this either. :(

Oh and I never did find Charlene (LuvsRoses) :(

• beachplant
    9 years ago

the type is green? It looks like a pale gray to me. I hate it. So hard to find anything. I keep getting tons of e-mails even though I have changed and changed and changed the notifications. I do not like that shopping cart in the corner either. I don't want to shop, I want to talk about gardens. UGH!!

Tally Ho!

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    9 years ago

The text is pale gray, the tiny headings that say 'Garden Forum Garden Topics Garden Junk' that you might use to navigate are pale green. You probably missed that altogether, it is so hard to see.

The improvements are that you don't have to use code any more to insert a photo or make your type bold. There is a tiny line at the bottom of this page where you should be able to switch off the emails -- tiny green letters: Click to switch off notifications.

We can go or we can stay.

• stanlie_gw
    9 years ago

High LindyB long time no sea. How you bee.

• gardnpondr
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh LindyB wow I remember you to! Hope you're doing well and junking.

I asked to be friends with Charlene on Facebook but no response yet. I sent a PM to tell her who I was but no response there either. :(

• stanlie_gw
    9 years ago

Im not Lindy but I did get an email from Lindy and she is doing fine. :D

• gardnpondr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So happy she is doing well! Wonder if she still has her red kitchen? :-)

• marilyn_c
    9 years ago

Hi Rose!! I remember you from the old watergarden forum. Hope you are doing well. Sean made a forum (American Ponders) after the old watergarden forum shut down, but I don't go there very often. I still have a few waterlilies and fish, but not nearly as many as I used to. I still love water lilies more than any other plant though. I would never be able to completely give them up.

• tapatio
    8 years ago

Joined GardenWeb in 2002. When did it change to this site. It has been awhile since I was on.

• Kathryn Botard
    8 years ago

I haven't been here in a long time. I guess I just got busy like everyone else. Where is the site that everyone went to?

Sponsored
GardenWise
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Award Winning Metro D.C. Landscape Architecture & Design Build Firm