Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

My Wife Bought Me a Rain Chain

kirkus
16 years ago

My wife bought me a rain chain so I placed it above my whiskey barrel/watering can fountain today. It poured down rain ALL day, and it was so beautiful and relaxing watching the rain water pour from the rain chain into the fountain! (Jules, I'm still going to make a rain chain from my porcelain insulators!!!) ENJOY! Kirk

{{gwi:192836}}

{{gwi:192837}}

Comments (11)

• desertrat1
    16 years ago

How surprised I was Kirk to read your post! I thought, oh no, now he's not gonna wanna make a rain chain with the insulators. I think Carol did it to help with your inspiration!!! Yeah, the reason I said to have the insulators upside down was so they could fill up with water and give that overflow cascading sound. Now, mind you, I've never owned one myself. Lord knows, we don't even have rain gutters here. Rain is SCARCE here. But I've always wanted one...and Carol did a wonderful job picking out just the right ones! Perfect to have it fill up your bucket fountain too!
    Love, Jules

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

That is a beautiful rain chain....great job Carol, on a lovely gift. She sure knows her stuff, LOL. You're a lucky man.
    I'm with Jules, rain is scarce here too and I doubt I'll ever own a rain chain. Would just sit there and bake, LOL.

hugs, Karen

• Bright199
    16 years ago

Ditto!! I like that one. You buy each other the neatest gifts.

• countrygrl
    16 years ago

Love your rain chain! How exactly does it work? Do you have to remove some of the gutter to attach it? I've always wanted one, but if it involves taking away the gutter, it will take some persuasion to get my DH to do that!!

• kirkus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The rain chain is so cool...Carol did well! Countrygrl, I placed it where I noticed the rain coming off the roof. We have rain gutters but at this particular section the gutter has a leak! (I keep fixing it!) Each cup in the chain is open at the bottom, and the water flows through and down. Makes a pretty sound and looks neat! (Rain chains are all different. I've seen some that are closed cups that when they fill up they overflow to the next cup.) I have one hanging at another part of our house, thinking the rain would come down there. It doesn't as the gutter is doing its job! Oh well, it looks pretty and sways in the wind! HA! :o) Karen, you made me laugh about "baking" a rain chain! :o) Kirk

• hosta_house
    16 years ago

Congrats on your gift & thanks for explaning how it works, I've always wondered that myself. How do you attach it,with an s hook, tie it around?

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

It looks fantastic Kirkus, nice gift. Hope to see the one you make from the insulators too.

Sal

• rottyinbluejeans
    16 years ago

Very nice Kirk!! Carol did a good job!
    ~~Rotty~~

• cindee11461
    16 years ago

I love it!! That is very pretty(-: I always wanted one too(-: It does rain here sometimes...lol(-:

• kirkus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hosta House, You're right! That's an S hook attached to a brass brad on the wood trim right below the gutter.

• nonacook
    16 years ago

Everything Looks great! All of you have done a wonderful job. Just aboue the time I get inspired, something comes along to dampen my spirits. I will tell you about it on the conversations side.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz