Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindasewandsew

Some Totems

lindasewandsew
13 years ago

I've been stacking totems in my side yard. About half of them are finished or almost finished, and all will be planted with succulents. Many of the pots and the chimney from a broken chimenea were found on the curb. There's a metal pipe pounded into the ground inside each one. Some pots needed larger holes drilled in them to fit over the pipe. The pvc pipes are used as spacers and will be hidden when the plants get bigger. There is no glue used on these so they can be easily taken apart and stacked differently. Linda

{{gwi:193273}}

{{gwi:193274}}

{{gwi:133100}}

{{gwi:193276}}

{{gwi:193278}}

{{gwi:193280}}

{{gwi:193282}}

{{gwi:193283}}

{{gwi:193284}}

{{gwi:193285}}

{{gwi:193287}}

{{gwi:193289}}

{{gwi:193292}}

Comments (14)

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Where to start?? I think the faces are most unusual I've seen & I love the animal planters, the strawberry pot in the middle is a nice surprise. So many interesting pots & love the way you have put them together! Jan

• chevy57red
    13 years ago

Outstanding!!
    Makes me wish I was living on permanant piece of ground again so that I could build a wall of totems.

• nonacook
    13 years ago

Love the terra cotta totems!!!
    Especially the elephant one--

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Wow Linda! I'm amazed at all of the unique terracotta planters and toppers that you have! LOVE the elephant, the turkey, the ducks and even jack-o-lanterns! Really nice. Great new way to look at totems....thanks for the inspiration!

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

sew&sew, my "fair weather" friend! You must be...apparently, no freezing weather at your place! Your terra cotta gardens are wonderful! What terrific pcs you have accumlated! Like the repetition of the blue pots on the wire racks. And also the various shapes & sizes you have found! Your Halloween pumpkin totem is way CUTE! I just love the NATURAL-ness of terra cotta! TFS! Jeanne S. & great recycling on those curb finds!

• greensuzq
    13 years ago

I love all of them. I have stacks of pots in my shed (not this many or cute) but now I know what I will be putting together for springtime. I have many succulents and they need a cute new home. Thanks for sharing. I will be looking for pots with faces, I only have one. LOVE THEM!

• nanatricia
    13 years ago

I love all your pots !!!They are great!!

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

You have an awesome collection of pots! I love the big foot. lol! I really like the stacking idea for the pots too. I bet they will all look really wonderful when the succulents have filled out!

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

Can't pick a fave.I love them all. Can't wait for spring to get here to try to be a copy-cat! Lots of drooling going on!

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

That is a great display, love all of them! A great idea that I will definitely work on right after I finish a thousand other projects in my head.

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

That is looking really great Linda, what a great way to decorate that long narrow area too. They are all going to look so great when the plants fill out. I've not seen the pots with faces before--what a hoot! Nice to see you've found such a fun way to use all your collection of pots.

Luvs

• desertrat1
    13 years ago

I feel so privileged to be one of the few that got a kit personally from Linda!! BUT Linda, I have not had the time to delve into that yet!! I think this week I'm diving in though. Just go go go here. Last week I and a whole lotta people were helping out a friend from church whose her hubby passing. Still are with meals and moving etc., whatever the needs are. He was only 42 (from a heart attack). So anyways I'll post photos once I delve in and find a treat spot for my terra totem! It was great to meet you and hope to meet up again soon.
    Love, Jules

• TwoMonths
    13 years ago

glad to see your posts Linda. Those are great. Love the neatness of it all. Looks like you had a bounty of pots. I agree, the faces are just a hoot. I have one that has feet. Put in one of the plants we got at the cactus place and it looks like hair. Glad to see you are busy. I have been sufferin from a nasty gall bladder and see a surgeon soon. Just messes up my fun.

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here I am finally. Thanks for all the nice comments. It will be really fun to see where others run with the idea. Each one is an experiment that can be easily restacked till it works, and even pulled up and planted in a new home. I have a lot of pots to use for these and got some of them at the place on the link. It's pottery heaven for sure.

I've been busy with some yard sales recently. I helped a friend have one in Lake Los Angeles and had the pleasure of meeting Jules and her mom there. She looks exactly like her photos, very cute and much younger than I. She brought me a wonderful cactus planted in a vintage colander and a pretty jar of relish that she canned, which I'll be trying soon. Looks yummy!! Some of us will be having a GJ board meeting in person in the next few months, maybe at the pot place, and the Sunflower Farms nursery nearby. We should probably wait till June loses her 'nasty gallbladder'. At our age, it could go viral, lol.

We sure do have fair weather. We may get a few light sprinkles tonight, but it's been very nice in the 80s and 90s every day. It's rough, but somebody has to live here, lol. Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery place

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz