Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

Recycled Log Birdfeeder

kirkus
16 years ago

I came home tonight after a busy, hectic work week of teaching and just needed to do something creative. I got this idea from an old Birds & Blooms magazine. I made a log birdfeeder.

A new house is being built down the road, and the builders said I could have any wood I wanted from their debris pile. I took a truckload of River Birch trees. I cut an 18 inch long section of log and drilled twelve 1 1/2 inch wide holes all around the log, attaching a piece of chain I had to the top of the feeder. After I took this picture, I filled the holes with home-made suet. (I found the recipe on the internet.) Within minutes, a woodpecker was feasting on the suet! Nothing spectacular but my simple log birdfeeder sure was fun to make! ENJOY! Kirk

{{gwi:193327}}

Comments (21)

• nonacook
    16 years ago

That's great! Recycling at it's best!
    What are you and I doing up at this time of night?

• susiesunshine
    16 years ago

Hey - dude - that's one cool birdie restaurant !!!
    I'm wild about Birch trees anyway and seem lots of birds like them tooooo!
    It is so beautiful - and it look like a professional did it ! oh yeah - one did!!!!
    It blends in so nicely ! - Wonderful Idea!!!! keep up the good work....
    God Bless! Ya'LL _ ALL !
    susiesunshine

• Bright199
    16 years ago

Vey creative!! I understand the need to create..

• shysue
    16 years ago

Love it! A chance to create and recycle at the same time. I like the rustic look and the birds will be thanking you.

• countrygrl
    16 years ago

Hi Kirk! I made one of these this past spring. Ok, my DH drilled the holes, because I used an oak branch, and it was like drilling through rock!! I put the hook on the top and the suet in the holes, so I sorta made it!! Anyway, I had to stop using it, because the squirrels chewed it all up, trying to get at what was left of the suet:0( I was so bummed! Do you have alot of squirrels by you? They just get into everything here, and now they are hiding their nuts in all my flowerpots and digging up all my flowers in the process! Oh well, your log feeder is very nice!!

• kirkus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the compliments! Countrygrl, what a bummer! Squirrels aren't a problem here but the deer are this fall. They're majorly getting ready for winter and doing all of my cutting back and pruning for me! Several times, I've shooed them away from pulling out the new baby grass I planted this fall. I found a great repellent that worked all summer but it doen't work now. Oh well, I love watching the deer. We even have named some! :o) Kirk

• garden2garden
    16 years ago

Oh I really like that! You are one talented guy. You did that just for the fun of it, I can't imagine what you can accomplish when you're serious! That's a great idea for a Christmas present too.

Kirk have you ever seen a (usually white birch is used, but I think other wood looks good too) small log like that layed on it's side and holes drilled in a line for candles. Then you decorate it with fresh greens, pine cones, holly, moss or what have you for a pretty and natural Christmas centerpiece. I always liked them.

• TwoMonths
    16 years ago

Great idea. I have white birch I might recycle that way. Tho here we probably only have crows and sparrows, lol.

oh come on....no has asked for your recipe yet? Give it up.

• kirkus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Two Months... You made me chuckle! I'll give it up just for you because you inspire me so much! (I really mean that!) Recipe:

1 cup crunchy peanut butter
    1 cup shortening
    2 cups quick cooking oats
    2 cups cornmeal
    1 1/2 cups bird seed
    1 cup all purpose flour
    1/3 cup sugar

Melt in pan peanut butter and shortening. Stir in all remaining ingredients. Pour into baking pan. About 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick. Store extra in freezer.

After making my own, I saw tubes of Suet at WalMart today. You could also cut up the squares of purchased suet and "squoosh" into the holes. It would be less mess than making your own, but making my own made me feel like I made the whole thing...birdfeeder and suet! LOL Kirk

• pattico_gw
    16 years ago

If you leave out the bird seed I think I'd eat it...!!!!

• TwoMonths
    16 years ago

thanks kirk, your a champ.
    Pattico, you are a hoot. It does sound good without the seed, hmmm a new candy, we can call it Kirk's Crunch.....
    June

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

Wow, another fantastic project Kirkus. Hope you were able to grab some nice firewood also and keep the home fires burning (cheaply).

Sal

• cindee11461
    16 years ago

Thats a great idea(-: We have so many birds and squirrels. this year we have a ton of walnuts/almonds and of course acorns so they have been busy with those. I have cows here again too...big destructive machines. I have to keep the gates closed or they come in and clean house, and not in a good way.

• luvs2click
    16 years ago

We have some of these feeders too, Kirk, and we make our own suet also. Another idea to add to the suet - cereal crumbs. We go through a lot of cereal and I have a bag going in the cupboard all the time for the crumbs. I throw these all into the suet. The birds love it! Sometimes I have so much stuff to add I need to increase the lard so it holds together. Just throwing that in there for another idea! I have saved old plastic suet containers and I just moosh my mixture into those and put it in a sandwich bag before popping in the freezer.

Happy Junking/Birding everyone!

Arlene

• kirkus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Arlene, You have always inspired me, and now you have inspired me with suet! I love the idea of cereal in the suet as we too always have cereal crumbs in that our 7 year old could eat cereal for every meal if we would let her! LOL Great idea! Thanks for sharing! Kirk

• dustyknees
    16 years ago

kirk. that's not bad. good thinking on your part.

• jeannespines
    16 years ago

My DH makes experimented making these kinds of suet feeders a couple years ago... we use the same recipe as Kirk ...and the same idea...except this is a 4x4 fancied up! But didn't think of adding cereal crumbs! Thanks! Also we discovered that the holes needed drilled deeper than what we first did ... in the winter, the birds love it and empty the holes every day! Jeanne S.

{{gwi:193328}}

• Cheri_C
    16 years ago

Kirk, That is very clever. I really like it. We live in a woods, so I'm always looking for ideas to do with logs. TFS
    Cheri

• rere
    16 years ago

As always it's great. Sounds like a great unwind project at the end of your day.
    re

• kat4kittens2002
    16 years ago

ok making a mental note to myself.. get a log from ds farm cause i just have to have one of these. i made suet last winter for the first time . i couldnt believe how fast the birds went thru it. i made a 9"X 12" pan every four days or so. it brought so many birds to the yard that hadnt been here in the past.
    what a joy to see them enjoy the suet.
    kat

• wendy2shoes
    16 years ago

I made my own suet cakes, a combination of lard, peanut butter, oatmeal and birdseed. I had them in the freezer in cupcake paper cups.
    My hubby came to bed one night, after grazing the fridge, and said.."Wendy..those cookies you made aren't very good" (!)
    Another story to tell the grandkids.