Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

Glass Windchimes

kirkus
15 years ago

My wife Carol and I received boxes and boxes of free stained glass from my brother. Carol discovered the attached site for inspiration as to what we could do with the glass. (Carol has the tools to cut the glass.) We purchased diamond drill bits and are set to go. Aren't the ideas inspiring on the site? I wasn't sure as to if I could post the site but Karen, aka purplemoon (a wonderful friend), said I should as I'm not advertising but sharing an idea... Bear Hugs! Kirk

Here is a link that might be useful: Glass Windchimes

Comments (19)

• katishooked
    15 years ago

OMG Just when you think you've seen it all bam. I was just wowed by all that she created. Wonderful idea. And such beautiful windchimes. Kirk, hurry and make some for us all to see.

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Those are great!
    I like making windchimes myself, but my dremel just won't drill thru the thick glass.
    What kind of drill did you use

• countrygrl
    15 years ago

Oh, they're all beautiful, but I LOVE the crystal fan chime!! Isn't it gorgeous?! It would be worth trying if you could find a piece cheap enough, so that if it broke during drilling, you wouldn't feel too bad! My bits seem to dull after drilling 2 holes. Do you have that problem?

• leveta
    15 years ago

I love the fan tooo.

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

They are so lovely! Can't wait to see what you and your wife make. Also it helps me think about what to do with a few pretty cups that I have (green bubble glass) cuz I used the saucers for plate flowers.
    kathy

• jlily
    15 years ago

What an inspiration. We will be anxious to see what you and your wife come up with. I know it will be worth the wait. Jlily

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

How beautiful! Thanks for sharing a great idea! I'm sure this will inspire many.

I bet Ann & Deb, the artists, sell them as fast as they can make them. And yes, that fan is so elegant, they're all so neat.

Kirk, you and Carol might make some nice pocket change with a fun hobby like this ... and to think you get the stained glass for free! Look forward to seeing what y'all create!

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Thanks Kirk! What a great site. Who knew you could make so many wonderful windchimes? Beautiful!

• leveta
    15 years ago

Kirk what are they useing to tie the chimes to the cup with?

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Thanks for sharing that site, Kirk! Wow, what wonderful stuff! My favorite is the Patrician Sauce or is it supposed to be "Saucer?" We have a place that sells stained glass very cheap by the box. It is all odds and ends in different colors and textures. A project like this would be perfect for those odds and ends!

I wonder if they use wire with beads on it to hold the stained glass to the piece.

Who is going to be brave enough to ask the artists? he-he

• saywhatagnes
    15 years ago

Hi Kirkus,

Thanks for sharing the link and congratulations on being gifted with all that wonderful stained glass! I would be over the moon.
    I make stained glass wind chimes as a hobby but I havenÂt quite mastered drilling holes in cups and glasses yet so I mostly use dried branches, wire baskets, wooden discs, etc. for my top pieces.
    IÂm so excited and anxious to see what lovely things you & Carol create.

Aggie

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We are so excited to make our chimes! I've attached a website as to how to drill the glass. Carol discovered this idea, and I'm riding on her coattails! Carol's projects become my projects! LOL We love to create things together so this is our current project!!! We thought we would use fine silver chains to attach the stained glass. I'll post as soon as we create a chime. Bear Hugs! Kirk

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Drill Glass

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

What an amazing gift you have given us today!!!!!!!!! My mind is really excited about the possibilities!

Susie

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

If you have boxes & boxes of glass you are going to be busy!! How lucky to get to choose from many sizes & shapes! Driftwood or large beachshell would look good for the top while you are getting the drilling down (don't want to rush you or anything!!!!"LOL Am sure you will come up with some great stuff, you always do!! Keep us informed!! Jan

• cindee11461
    15 years ago

Cool ideas. Drilling glass is pretty easy just have to do it slowly(-: I can't wait to see what you make(-:

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    15 years ago

For larger holes, use diamond core drill bits.

You will need a drill press to do this.

dcarch

• gretch1964
    15 years ago

I drill glass all the time as i make windchimes and sell them. I use a 9x13 baking dish and put water in it and then a peice of scrap glass. Put the glass you want to drill on top of that scrap piece, now when you start to drill put the bit at an angle then straight up and down. And before you know it your through.

I use a dremel tool. I buy my bits of ebay in a small 5 pcs set. And i only pay like 7 bucks for all 5. And they last along time.

Have fun making them. It is so much fun.

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

Valuable info there, Gretch! Thanks for those great tips. Technique is very important, and your experience helps us all. ~tenderlee

• chelcass
    15 years ago

Wonderful site, thank you for sharing. I am always looking for new ideas. Most use fishing line to hang their chimes. It is strong and sways nicely in a breeze. Also you can go to wal-marts, etc and get leaders (in the fishing dept.) they have hooks on the end and makes it easy to attach to the glass.

For drilling holes try dental drills. You can buy them in quanity on e-bay or just by searching the web. They come in several sizes.

ChelCass

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!