Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnyca_gw

Great Junk Flowers!

sunnyca_gw
12 years ago

I just managed to open my Aug-Sept 2011, Birds & Bloom (too busy with folks) & I love the flowers on pages 8 & 9. The ones made from old records are fabulous! Some are made from farm machine parts. Don't miss the sunflower in with her Lazy Susan's- it's soda cans. Also the bed bench on page 11. Can someone post pics! I think everyone would love to see these! Thanks! Jan

Comments (22)

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Oh I can't wait t see them. I think we still have a subscription, but I'm at work right now.
    Kathy

• sunnyca_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm going to bump this up as I'm sure GJ'ers will want to see these & with economy not so hot lot of folks have probably let their subscription lapse. Hope you have it Kathy! Jan

• Naomi Miller
    12 years ago

I have the issue and yes, all the flowers as well as the tips etc are excellent in this issue. I tried to find the flowers on the website to post pics but they are not old enough to be 'archived' yet.... I tried to scan them in my computer but the images did not come out well and posting them here only rendered poor little pics.... sorry, I tried, lol

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Maybe this link will work for some of you...I go to it & then click on photos & can see lots of wonderful ones! Try it & see if you can find sunny's. But maybe I have an online subscription...if so, I got it w/purchasing something else in the past. Hope it works for you. Jeanne S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Birds & Bloom

• sunnyca_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I went on B&B you posted but they aren't on there. Jeanne,can you tell me how you put a pic on the posts, could I scan it on somehow? Well, I put pic on & pushed scan! Guess that won't do it. Went to edit & clicked "copy" nothing happens! I'm not too good on computers! All I want for Christmas is lessons!! Any pointers on getting magazine page on here would be appreciated! Jan

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Jan, are they anything like these in link below?

Or actually here are some awesome ones with instructions:
    http://familycrafts.about.com/u/sty/craftstechniques101/Publish-Your-Craft-Projects/Vinyl-Record-Flowers.htm

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: record flowers

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Heres one that would be fun to do with kids and uses up those plastic caps!
    I googled record flowers.
    Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: fridge flowers

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

sunny...I don't think you can scan & post magazine pics here..copyright laws, etc. And I've tried to scan magazine pics & they do not come out good at all ...just for my own purposes. Anything I scan or my pics, I save in 'JPEG' form & then I use Photobucket to be able to share on here. Libraries will have a copy of B&B most likely...so maybe some who do not wish to purchase can find a copy...our Friends of the Library sells donated mags for 25 cts...which is great! Jeanne S.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

What a great idea, about selling the magazines. Our library has a running book sale/shelf, but I don't know if they take magazines. I'll have to ask.
    Kathy

• sunnyca_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The record ones are kind of like the flower plate look ones. But there were other nice ones also, sunflower out of soda cans with real buttons in center , 1 with metal baking dish,plate,sunflower ring,cake server(leaf on stem) & a bee & last 1 out of farm parts but sure looks like old metal clothes hangers could work for it with some kind of solid machinery part for center. All were very attractive. I found the picnic table that someone was able to post from that magazine that was new when I got it so thought this would work, also someone had posted something else I found about yr. ago in Birds & Bloom. I think if anything it would increase their sales. The Junk Ladies were pleased that Kirk put some of their stuff on here. We are recycling junk not taking Disney patterns & selling copyright stuff. Most of these if we made them wouldn't look like theirs anyway, we each have our own "touch" The records look like a large 33 melted with wavy edge like a real flower with yellow, pink or purple painted in bright metallic paint, then they made center either greenish or pale & added a 45 record with the edge turned up so slightly "cupped" & petal looking on that center is some glass 1/2 marbles in a circle with a pretty center, maybe old jewelry. So if you live in Flat Rock, North Carolina you might have seen these in the gal's yard. The sunflower is 3 layers of petals maybe attached to a 1 or 2 lb can lid & convex piece of something with buttons glued on for center of it & whole thing sprayed yellow with some overspray of deeper yellow. Very lifelike! Well, I tried. Thanks everybody for trying to help! Jan

• sunnyca_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK I posted about picnic table becoming potting bench, on Aug 8,2011, in This Old House magazine. joy333 got it on somehow. So it can be done!

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Yeah, I remember that post, sunnyca...Maybe joy333 had online version of magazine or a better scanner...my scanner is excellent w/photos but not paper mags.

I was really hoping my link would work & show some of the stuff you were talking about...didn't know that it wouldn't show latest stuff in mag. I love the mag., too...will look for it! Thanks, sunnyca.
    Jeanne S.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Jan you write very good descriptions! I almost feel like I see the flowers. Turns out B&B is one of the mags we let go. (Or the one that doesn't keep coming even tho we stopped paying for it, lol)
    With Borders out of business, I'm not sure where to find it. Maybe a garden center.
    Kathy

• sunnyca_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I went to Norton search engine & typed in"Flowers out of old 33 & 45 records" & saw how to make a bowl out of vinyl records so clicked on that & it has a tutorial! You need good ventilation & cover rack with foil & put on lowest heat for not more than 2 minutes & use something to form it over, I think an old aluminum pie pan & shape ruffles with the oven mitts on your hands (around edge of record) anyway have to go watch dad so don't have time to look now. It also mentioned above the directions that it is on U tube-so video showing how to make it.(I just took 3 $10 a yr forms out of the B&B magazine!- at bookstore you'd get about 2 for that!) Jan

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Wow, I'll look for a deal for the subscription. Part of the problem is I hate to "make" so much garbage or even worse, I want to keep all the old issues. Maybe I should offer to buy the library a subscription, then lots of people could enjoy it and the library would store them for me.
    Kathy

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Well, inspired by this thread I bought 5 PINK full sized records. My fave junk store is going out of business and I got lots of glass and dishes at their 70% off sale today. Also the pink records for 30 cents each.
    I hope I can make them look flower like. I might wait a bit and see if I can find some colord 45's for the middle petals.
    Kathy

• luna_llena_feliz
    12 years ago

Kathy, Walmart sells Birds & Blooms here. Although I could drive over to Reiman Publishing and get some too. lol They are about 5 minutes from my house.

How cool that you found pink records! What are the chances of that? I'd like to try this. I'm assuming the records have to be heated and then shaped. I would think you'd need a well ventilated area in case the plastic gives off bad fumes.

I remember seeing the pictures while looking through Birds & Blooms at Walmart while waiting for my husband (we always meet by the magazines). Jan did a great job of describing them! Like Kathy, I gave up my subscription to B&B.

• sunnyca_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I tried Google & at bottom of 1st 10 there(Recycled decor-Etsy lady) was 1 similar to 1 in B&B it's a bowl but you can see how it is shaped, for a flower plate it would be little flatter & the center would be a second record. Another site said she used acrylic paints, I would use patio paints. You would certainly want to have windows & doors open as sure there are bad chemicals in records you don't want to breathe. As the article I mentioned above said you only leave in not more than 2 min at lowest temp in your oven(do this when kids are gone or in another part of house.) This Recycled decor is actually a lady on Etsy & it is item 5 of the 19 she has. How she got the lines so perfectly on the record bowls I can't even imagine! & look at the prices! WOW! Jan

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

wow! Etsy is so great.
    Check out this record-flower-clock

http://www.etsy.com/listing/43192181/hand-painted-flower-recycled-vinyl

Then this person cuts out the middles to be coasters, then rolls up the rest like roses!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/79693726/painted-record-flowers

Now we just have to figure out how to make some that last in the garden!

Kathy

• beatrice_outdoors
    12 years ago

DH has a collection of about 500 albums that he listens to all the time. I've even gotten into buying them at yard sales for myself. I look at these and my heart just sinks and cringes. Ah, well......

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

We too have a lot of albums that we listen to all the time. I wouldn't make those into flowers. The 2nd hand store that is going out of business has hundreds of albums in the basement. I bought a couple to listen too as well as the pink ones. Many are scratched or by artists that few people are interested in. If no one buys them in the next week or so they will all go to the dump. I'd rather see them made into things myself.
    Kathy

• sunnyca_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I love the old records, I would never wreck a good album but ones with bad scratches from yard sale would be fine to use. Sounds like they made several things on esty. I'll have to check them out! I just saw the bowls the gal from Oregon made. Jan

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider