Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Using a broken oven/stove range as a planter

I have a broken oven/stove that I would like to use as a planter. The bottom drawer is a no-brainer, and the glass top is an obvious surface to hold pots, but I'm having trouble picturing what to do about the oven part. If I leave the door on, it will be hanging right over the bottom drawer. Would I want to just remove the door? If anyone has some pics of "planted ovens" or just ideas, please share!

Would also love any input on "cooking puns to plant", like "hot" pink, or maybe strawberries planted in a pie plate on top, maybe a "hot" pepper planted in a sauce pan, that kind of stuff. TIA!

Comments (8)

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

What a fabulous idea. Nice that it has a glass top. My mom has an old glass top oven in her garage...
    I posted a link to an oven planter on flickr below. It is a double oven so they could use one drawer and then the door or the other oven.
    Too bad the doors don't open sideways, you could use the oven for storage. Even with the door off you could use it to store things. And your flowers would hide the storage, just not anything too large so you could get it out without damaging your plants.
    Can oven doors be pushed open from the inside? Just something to think about if there are kids around. If any one gets in you want them to be able to get out. If not I'd say take the door off or disable the latch. (At least they are not air tight like fridges.)
    Be sure to post pics as you progress.
    Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: oven planted

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

I was thinking if you used a piece of steel to hold the oven door part way open(screwed on both side of oven & door) & had a V shaped planter, probably have to make it out of redwood then flowers could be"hot from the oven" of course they would be red!! Jan

• oldgraymare
    12 years ago

How about planting it with herbs? Chives and Basil in pots on top. I agree with Sunnyca.. I would bolt a strap on the oven door and stove side wall to form a V..(can be open 12-14 inches) fill oven with a planter (maybe a small tote with drainage??) and dirt and maybe a trailing Rosemary that would trail over the door.

• oldgraymare
    12 years ago

How about planting it with herbs? Chives and Basil in pots on top. I agree with Sunnyca.. I would bolt a strap on the oven door and stove side wall to form a V..(can be open 12-14 inches) fill oven with a planter (maybe a small tote with drainage??) and dirt and maybe a trailing Rosemary that would trail over the door. I have a old Monarch electric stove with a soup pot in my yard. I have herbs in pots (and the soup pot) on top.. I was using the oven area for trowels and such. I never did take a picture of it so I will have to do that!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Absolutely LOVE these ideas! So glad I asked. This won't happen until spring, so please feel free to continue adding more.

• cheribelle
    12 years ago

Gotta say, I LOVE that duck planter!In the oven.....

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

I'm wondering if you could take the over racks, somehow attach/weld them together to make a "trellis". Then prop them up against the side of the oven and plant nasturtiums of some other climber on them.

• luna_llena_feliz
    12 years ago

I'd look for old pots to plant in to put on the stove. I like sunnyca's idea of somehow holding the door partly open and pixie_lou's idea of the trellis made from oven racks. Would be cool with a plant overflowing out of the oven. Don't forget to add some cute salt & pepper shakers to the mix by letting them sit on top of the stove. Cute idea!

Sponsored
Simplistic Inceptions Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Williamsburg's Professional Remodeling & Construction Management Firm