Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problems with superglue

Posted by mommyandme2 none (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 30, 11 at 10:08

I've been working on many projects lately that require superglue. I know you only need a tiny amount, but it seems like the one drop that I use instantly expands and drips out from where I want it to be making my creations look messy. I've heard that nail polish remover works as a solvent for superglue, so I went out & bought some. I soaked a q-tip in nail polish remover thinking I could clean up some dried drips of superglue on some of my projects, but the nail polish remover only softened the dried glue; it wouldn't remove it. I ended up with bits of cotton fluff stuck in the glue. I love the way superglue works, but I can't seem to use it neatly. Does anyone have any tips ? I couldn't possibly try to sell any of my creations without learning to use superglue properly. Thanks - Laura

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problems with superglue

Sorry. I don't touch the stuff. Always end up gluing my fingers together. You might try the craft and decorations forum.
Kathy

o

What materials are you gluing with super glue?

o

Very few of us have ever had any luck with super glue for
garden junk! It's just not a garden junk type of glue...

o

If you do use it for indoor projects, get the brush on type. It is just so much easier to work with and control the amount you put on.

o

There's the liquid kind and also a gel kind. Try the gel kind. I always glue my fingers together trying to use the liquid kind, too. Frustrating!

o

Here is a web site that might help. Can't remember where I found it but it has a lot of info.

www.thistothat.com

hope it helps.

o

Thanks to all ! Yes, I have glued my fingers together which has resulted in a bit of "potty mouth". I'm using superglue mostly for my aluminum flowers and some other aluminum projects. Theoretically, a tiny drop of superglue will hold 2 tiny pieces together, but I frequently get oozing that is invisible when wet, but whitish & impossible to remove when dry. I didn't know superglue came in a gel. I will make an effort to locate some. Thanks again - Laura

o

The brush on kind is the only one I can manage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here