Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repurposing old CDs and DVDs??

Posted by mrs_tlc 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 30, 12 at 10:24

Hello. I'm looking for a way to keep birds and other critters out of my garden. I saw some CD's hung on a string over a sailboat over the summer and thought that might help and also have heard of people making flowers out of old CDs. I would love it if anyone had any picture ideas to share!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repurposing old CDs and DVDs??

I make windchimes out of mine. You can use silverware or as I did glass beads. I use fishing line for my string. I used E6000 to glue the beads onto the fishing line.

o

You can make earrings and pendants out of them. Check the Internet as how to. You put them in the microwave for 5 sec. then cut them with x-acto knives into different shapes.
Different CD's produce different colors.

Sue

o

Love the wind chime idea. I want something to keep the birds out of my tomatoe and that may work. I am also kicking around a larger project idea! I have to build new raised garden beds next year so I just may start collecting old CDs/DVDs from friends that would otherwise end up in landfills and doing a mosaic mural on the raised bed sides!! It may end up not being anything great or it may be really pretty........we'll see!!

o

I take two and glue them together with labels inside. Then
drill a hole through both and use a barrel swivel used in fishing to make a hanger. I use fishing line because it is light and this will make them spin real easy. The light they create will spook birds out of trees they are placed in. Also, I like seeing them spinning from inside the house.

o

Microwave the CD to get an interesting design.

dcarch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here