Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
concretenprimroses_gw

Yet another plate flower backing

concretenprimroses
14 years ago

I've thought about this for a long time, but I've never found the perfect one, but maybe, if it works, you all can help with that. So why not glue the plate flower to a flat sided bottle or vase? Here is my example, plus a picture of another that would work, except I'm not willing to stop using my blue bud vase. I used an old bottle, worth about $1.

{{gwi:194002}}

{{gwi:194003}}

Comments (19)

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The big problem is you don't want to insert rebar into a glass bottle, it could break really easily. This is a metal stake coated with plastic.

I don't think stake or bottle are ideal but they are what I had on hand. I had to make a new plate flower because my ones that the seal failed on the pipe fitting still have the washer on tight (Plumbers goop). I think the washer may be a higher quality metal than my pipe fitting was.

{{gwi:194004}}

{{gwi:194005}}

Of course an advantage is one could put a plate flower on each side back to back. And I have a big wide flat sided green wine bottle that I was thinking of sticking a bunch of small flowers all over.

kathy

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just looked at the pics and realized I took the flower leaning forward so it looks like I glued it together crooked. Its centered, trust me, lol. I think putting something inside the bottle, or a fatter stake to hold the flower and bottle upright would solve that problem. If one could find a tall enough square bottle it could be the base for a holly hock.
    kathy

• gibsona
    14 years ago

Great idea! Especially like the thought of one on each side. I always put bubble wrap or plastic bags around the rebar when putting out my totems. Thanks for yet another version. ~ Ann

• excessfroufrou
    14 years ago

Cool idea, I will keep my eye out for the right bottles.
    Syble

• cindee11461
    14 years ago

What a great idea!!!!

• nanagrandma
    14 years ago

Oh thank you, I haven't tried flowers because of the drilling, screws, etc. but this can solve my reservations about making one. I like the idea of back to back.

Sylvia

• patches_02
    14 years ago

Great idea, will start saving my a-1 steak sauce bottles there always square.

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

Looks like a great idea! And also the bubble wrap idea (from one of you GJers) around the stem seems sounds good, too! We know the glass-to-glass "sticks" with Silicone II Doors & Windows stuff! TFS...Jeanne S.

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Something to watch out for when choosing a bottle or vase is if it is larger (that is, flares out) at the open end, the plate flower will face downwards a bit. The body on the bottle I used is the same size all the way up.

My fantasy of perfection for these is a little green round bottle that is flat on two sides. (Well actually flat on one side with a leaf shape on the other, but how likely is that?)

kathy

• giggles1
    14 years ago

While gs'ing, I found a big bag of spice jars (no rack) for $1. I bought them for bottle bugs, but thinking now, they come flat too! A spice rack is cheap & since your only using the bottles, you'd get a whole bunch for nothing!

Think outside the box! lol

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I should have said if the bottle or vase sides that you are gluing to flare out at the bottom the flower will point downward. If it flares out at the open end which is the top of the bottle or vase but the bottom in our application, the flower will look upward. Either one could be ok, but its just something to think about before hand.
    kathy

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

I thought that I had already posted my comment on this new idea, but I guess not....Love this idea of the using the vase as a holder....and even the idea of doublesided plate flowers! Now, why didn't I think of that??

• texasfern
    14 years ago

And I thought I was going to stop making these for a while!
    No way! The double sided idea is just the ticket!
    Thanks for all your great ideas Kathy.

• Shelley Merryfield
    9 years ago

I have been struggling with these for about 2 years. I use E6000 glue as someone recommended. I have had a lot of trouble with the glass cracking after the glue cures. Or just failing to stick. I have used the salt and pepper shakers from Walmart and had them break! I did wrap the post with floral tape to prevent some of that. I may try drilling next. bought a glass drill tip. It just gets frustrating to put time and money into these and have them break.

Michaels Craft Store sells oval, flat sided glass bottles for about $1.

• beachplant
    9 years ago

Dollar Tree has salt and pepper shakers that are just like this 2 pack for a buck. That is all I use anymore.

Tally Ho!

• concretenprimroses
    8 years ago

Good suggestion! Thanks.

• irma_stpete_10a
    8 years ago

Jill, I will try this - thank you. Question: why might glass against rebar break? Is this cold weather related? (I'm in Florida.)

• todtrujillo
    7 years ago

A p.v.c. pipe cut to size would work for the plate flower

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH