Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizzardly

Mosaic Source

lizzardly
13 years ago

I'd like to try my hand at mosaics. I have an old satelite dish (the mini ones) and a pattern, but there are no mosaic places near me except Michaels and they have a limited selection.

Does anybody else use a web source for your projects?

Comments (10)

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

What are you looking for? The home depot near me has glass tiles on sale for $5/sheet, which is much less expensive than you can buy them at a mosaic store. Ebay has a bunch of mosaic stores tho I've never ordered from them.
    There is also a stained glass and mosaic forum at the homes part of garden web that would be helpful.
    Have fun and remember to post pics!
    Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Stained glass and mosaic forum

• soxxxx
    13 years ago

Do not overlook plates and other dishes that can be broken or cut mostly found at garage sales and thrift stores.

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

I love plates and dishes the best, but you have to watch out because some of them are too porous to last outdoors, I've heard.
    Kathy

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

I love the Habitat for Humanity Restore for ceramic tiles and grout. Usually the dishes/pottery that breaks real cleanly is the less porous kind I have discovered. If you like stained glass, check out the link below for Delphi. They have an awesome collection at decent prices.

Here is a link that might be useful: Delphi Glass

• seamommy
    13 years ago

Here's a table I did entirely from broken pottery (and a couple of those flat marbles) and it's been outside for over 5 years now and still intact. You might have seen it before:
    {{gwi:148796}}

Definitely a low budget project. I splurged on the cutting tools for the pottery, but I'm glad that I didn't spend any more money than that, because it took me so long, I didn't have that much fun, I stabbed my fingers a lot, cut myself a few times, got mad when plates wouldn't break the way I wanted them to, and I've never done another one anyway. IMHO, it was very labor intensive, glad I tried it, glad I never have to do it again. Cheryl

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

seamommy, that table sure turned out pretty though! I always wanted to invest in a saw of some sort to cut my dishes into pieces. Sure beats straining your hands and wrist with a tile nipper. lol

lizzardly, my DH just got some pretty plates for me during his last dumpster dive. Don't forget to ask your friends to give you any dishes or pottery of theirs that breaks too.

• lizzardly
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have an image of a peacock that I plan on using so plates won't work for this project, but I'll keep that in mind for future projects. I finally found some decent prices online at basicmoasaic dot com.

Thanks!

• kentstar
    13 years ago

Craft stores like Hobby Lobby has mosaics, but you would probably find cheaper sources by visiting the local tile place and asking if they have any broken peices out back maybe?

Cathy

• Patsey Nelson
    13 years ago

Lizzardly,
    We are making a peacock room in our old house that we bought last year. Would you share your peacock pattern or tell me where you found it.
    Thanks,
    Patsey

• lizzardly
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Midway I'd be happy to share the image with you. I was going to email it to you, but there's no email listed on your page. If you would provide it, I'll email it to you. I have software that allows me to scale it quite a bit. If you know what size you'd like I can help out with that too.