Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
concretenprimroses_gw

Backs of my plate flowers

concretenprimroses
15 years ago

I had a problem with the backs because I wanted a subtle look. Unfortunately the "rim" of the metal elbow where it attaches to the washer doesn't provide much space to adhere. If I moved my flowers around in the garden they would break off at that point with the washer sticking to the back of the flower. (At least that part worked well) A friend of mine suggested that I put a big glob of silicone down inside (once attached to the plate) to connect the rest of the inner washer surface to the inside sides of the metal elbow. Does that make sense? Any way that seems to have solved the problem, so far. (clear GE silicone II for windows and doors) Newbies may want to consult with wiser minds than mine, but I'm going to test try it this way and see how it goes.

Here are pics of the washer situation and the flower backs. The elbow on the left has the washer attached (but no glob inside yet, I am doing that once the unit of washer and elbow are attached to the back of the plate.)

I have linked to the whole shebang again as well.

{{gwi:194329}}

{{gwi:194330}}

In theory you can remove the plate with attached elbow from the post and store it more easily. By the way I now notice that some elbows allow the post to go in deeper than others, and sometimes one end of the elbow is better that way than the other. So I am paying more attention to that when I buy the hardware.

kathy

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (9)

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I attached the washer to elbow and also the washer to the plate with plumbers goop (recommended on this forum). I may continue to do that, not sure. Its all an experiment. The plates are stuck together with ge silicone II clear for windows and doors, hands down the best according to the experienced folks here if you are going to use adhesive on glass or ceramic. (Some folks drill holes) And then that glob inside is the ge silicone also. Maybe next year I'll have it all figured out so I can sell some.
    kathy

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Hi Kathy~

Well, I do the backs of my plate flowers completely different. I don't use elbows at all. I take a hammer and flatten the end of the pipe slightly and drill a hole directly through the pipe. Then, I just slip it on the back of the plate flower and tighten with a nut. I do use a rubber washer between the pipe and plate though for some cushion. Just another approach.

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Marlene, I've seen your flowers and I love them! I believe you drill holes in the plates so your way of attaching is for that method. Mine are glued with ge silicone ii for windows and doors. By the way, I thought of you yesterday cuz there were 3 glass plates at the thrifr store with holes already. If they'd been a match for a flower I would have tried your method. Do you ever take apart things like serving dishes that already have a hole in the middle?
    kp

• countrygrl
    15 years ago

Thanks for your little tutorial! I'm going to save this page to my favorites, so that when I make some next year, I will have this info right there! I was hoping the moderator or someone from the GW staff would have seen your other post, and put the question in the FAQ section. Oh well, thanks again!

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Has anyone tried the flange method yet? That was what the woman used for her plate flowers that Kirk found at a craft fair last year (and started this whole addiction business!). The flange is flat on one side and connects to the elbow on the other. If you google images of flanges you will see what I mean.

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

I have found a couple of dishes that were on pedestals that already had holes in them. Yay! I always hold my breath when we're drilling them, but I guess I could always use the pieces for mosaics or something!

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was looking at flanges this morning at the building supply and they were almost $4 each! I'm trying to keep the cost each down with the idea of selling them someday.
    A method that intrigues me is using hockey pucks on the back but first drilling a hole for rebar in the side. Someone here saw that method at a craft fair. Someone else in this list uses a wooden flange which she gets where she buys dowels, but I haven't found any. I would really like to get all this stuff in FAQ before they disappear from age, hope the folksin charge of GW get back to me! If not I may try to gather everything in a document that I will make into a jpg and store on my photobucket.
    Mine have now held up through several hard frosts. (with the glob) So I am going to finish the ones that I have that way. I may try the hockey puck rebar method if I decide to sell some next spring.
    kathy

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

I think the hockey puck idea would work. My DH talked about that same sort of thing, only he was just going to make some using a hole saw and some scrap wood.

• laurastheme
    15 years ago

I use a wooden 'round' with a hole through the middle. My DH drills the hole bigger to fit the elbow. I have found them in a hardware store with the dowels, but they're cheaper at JoAnn's or Michaels. Does the plumber's goop work better on metal than the silicone? I've had some trouble with the silicone on metal.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living